Viking poufy pants???

  • Marge
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2007
      Anybody know anything about these things? Brunhilda has been calling
      and asking me but it is not anything I have looked at--it not being
      anything any of mine have expressed interest in. Only thing I found
      online about them was questioning whether they actually existed in
      period. Said that the look was achieved by wrapping the bottom of the
      leg, not the gathers often seen on SCAdians. Anybody know?
      Thanks,
      Sara
    • L T
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2007
        I suggest you try searching Google with the term
        viking reenactment. You will hit many of the European
        groups doing what appears to be authentic viking garb.
        They have nice image galleries of people in garb.

        I think the poufy pants image you are describing is
        here:

        http://www.jomsvikings.com/gallery/poland/source/vikings_marcin.html

        I found that page by glancing at an image gallery here
        (below) and saw pants you described
        http://www.jomsvikings.com/gallery.php

        The resources link under "The Vikings" UK site has
        some good images and instructions for shapes of viking
        clothes.
        http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/

        If you have been using library books as historic
        costuming resources then there is often depicted a pen
        and ink line drawing of a viking/ celtic/ anglo saxon/
        dark ages kind of guy wearing a tunic and loose
        trouser leggings that are often wrapped around the
        calf with a lacing. Accurate? I don't really know, but
        I know that images in costuming books like this are
        often assumed to be accurate by the reader.

        The Viking answer lady has some info on viking clothes
        but the links to the "poufy pants" (to the swedish
        website) don't link directly to the images anymore.

        Just tell her to go for it if she feels confident in
        her information. There's plenty of lattitude to
        improve the authenticity of clothing if you decide you
        want to do something different next time.

        Some of the fighters doing viking personas, like Duke
        Thorson, wear puffy pants (ekk! purple stripes!) but I
        think the area below the knees is covered with
        protective leather (to diminish damage of stray shots
        hitting below the knee)

        http://thorsonandsvava.sccspirit.com/photogallery/eku2004_10.htm

        Thorson and Svava were doing viking personas. Check
        out their website for nice photos. Here is Thorson
        wearing a legging strap, but no poofy pants
        http://thorsonandsvava.sccspirit.com/photogallery/nsrattanchamp_1.htm

        Here is a group photo with some loose pants with lower
        leg strappings
        http://thorsonandsvava.sccspirit.com/photogallery/pennsic33_23.htm

        Good luck,
        Bryn

        --- Marge <jorie6568@...> wrote:

        > Anybody know anything about these things? Brunhilda
        > has been calling
        > and asking me but it is not anything I have looked
        > at--it not being
        > anything any of mine have expressed interest in.
        > Only thing I found
        > online about them was questioning whether they
        > actually existed in
        > period. Said that the look was achieved by wrapping
        > the bottom of the
        > leg, not the gathers often seen on SCAdians.
        > Anybody know?
        > Thanks,
        > Sara

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
      • Doug Saball
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2007
          Hi Marge,

          I use a "modified" viking baggy pants for my "Fornbern" persona in the
          Maine Vikings. I used the pattern from the Swedish Historical
          document. Since the web page is down I will upload the PDF document in
          this list files. If you need the English translations I can look for
          them in my files.

          Fornbern

          Dougal

          --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Marge" <jorie6568@...> wrote:

          > Anybody know anything about these things? Brunhilda has been calling
          > and asking me but it is not anything I have looked at--it not being
          > anything any of mine have expressed interest in. Only thing I found
          > online about them was questioning whether they actually existed in
          > period. Said that the look was achieved by wrapping the bottom of
          the
          > leg, not the gathers often seen on SCAdians. Anybody know?
          > Thanks,
          > Sara

        • ann sterling
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 12, 2007
            Thanks Dougal for the great patterns. Do you have an idea of time frame for them? Thanks!

            Respectfully, Ann {in the SCA, Leofcwen of Hámðorp}
            "A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds.
            A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship,
            and he who plants kindness gathers love."
            St. Basil, 4th Cent.

            http://store.auctiva.com/creativecat1

            Building a website is a piece of cake.