purple

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hi,
      Here's a fun question... Are all purples off limits? I found a nice
      muddy lilac linen, so I'm curious. What about periwinkle? Perhaps
      they didn't have periwinkle, but I'm wondering anyway.

      Ysabiau, glad you're recovering! So, what do you know about say, 12th
      century colors?

      Gwen.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
        According to Ced, purple is not off limits. I wonder if that picture
        he took from the dye workshop he did last year is still on one of the
        lists somewhere. He has some very nice purple-y hues.
        Cate

        --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Wendi"
        <lobster_kelaguen@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Here's a fun question... Are all purples off limits? I found a nice
        > muddy lilac linen, so I'm curious. What about periwinkle? Perhaps
        > they didn't have periwinkle, but I'm wondering anyway.
        >
        > Ysabiau, glad you're recovering! So, what do you know about say,
        12th
        > century colors?
        >
        > Gwen.

      • L T
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2007
          Purle is not a reserved color in the East Kingdom - we
          have no sumptuary laws. I don't know that this is true
          of all other kingdoms, but there is a difference
          between something being in sca or kingdom law versus
          what is the custom.

          You are more likely to see this restriction in non-sca
          group, like Ren Faire crowds, so you as a paying
          customer can more easily identify who is part of
          "royalty" (it's all one big show, after all...).

          So, enjoy any shade of purple you like as your garb.

          Lisa (Bryn )

          --- Wendi <lobster_kelaguen@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > Here's a fun question... Are all purples off
          > limits? I found a nice
          > muddy lilac linen, so I'm curious. What about
          > periwinkle? Perhaps
          > they didn't have periwinkle, but I'm wondering
          > anyway.
          >
          > Ysabiau, glad you're recovering! So, what do you
          > know about say, 12th
          > century colors?
          >
          > Gwen.

          Be a PS3 game guru.
        • Doug Saball
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2007
            Ok first I get the "tailor" list by digest, so I apologize for a
            delay in response.

            This is good because I was under the impression that purple was off
            limits. Since we are also involved in a Viking group and Mary
            (Echluath) has genealogical ties to Ireland, we found out that the
            color for Dublin was purple during the Viking age (circa 1,000).
            Mary has a few dress patterns including an apron dress that would use
            purple as the layer under the natural colored apron.

            Dougal or (Fornbern in the Vikings)

            --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, L T <ladybrynmillar@...>