Re: Keeping cool at GNEW

  • Doug Saball
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 19, 2007
      Hi Cate & Gwen,

      I am in the process of making two sets of garb. One wool for cooler
      monts and the other linen blend for summer months. These two fabrics
      are what is acceptable for the Living History groups I am in. However,
      cotton can look as effective for SCA events. One of the key things is
      to keep hydrated during summer events.

      Happy stitchen'

      Dougal
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 19, 2007
        Dougal -
        Nice to hear from you. Will you be coming to dance practice on
        Sunday? :-)
        Thanks for the fabric suggestions.
        Cate

        --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Saball"

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 19, 2007
          Hello Dougal,
          Do come to dance, we're garbing up! I'll probably choose something
          reminiscent in an unauthentic fabric or maybe something more
          traditional. Either way, I think my Tudor garb may knock people down
          with a mad combo of heavy sleeves and hoops, so it's staying at home.

          I actually did GNEW in all linen chemises and skirts with a cotton
          bodice (I will admit to two non-cotton bodices). I also had a nice
          wide brimmed hat, but I still kept wanting to rip off my skirt, and
          ended up hiking my skirts rather inelegantly to promote air-flow.
          When I simply couldn't stand it anymore, I volunteered to take the
          kids swimming. I think a shorter chemise might have helped with a
          less full skirt.

          Cate, Just 'cause ya asked...
          The Vietnamese ensemble is well-documented for 300 years, and it was
          said to have been patterned after an earlier outfit two sisters wore
          when riding into war on an elephant. Very neat. Anyway, it is a
          Vietnamese tradition not to emulate people who have had great honor.
          So, no one was to wear this outfit in order to honor the sisters.
          It's the same with very famous names of heroes. Sort of like the name
          Bjorn in Sweden is not to be used, due to the popular singer.

          Anyway, I can get the color, the material, the pants, the head wear,
          and the basic shape all relatively authentic. The modern differences
          have to do with fit and shoulder seam placement. I guess it would be
          the equivalent of using a modern pattern that may have darts for a
          Tudor gown which would not.

          There is a part of me that says, hey, there are lots of mentions of
          different ethnic garbs throughout the regions and those sisters had to
          get it from somewhere...

          The more well-documented medieval Vietnamese garb consisted of the
          same soft wide legged pants (or optional skirt), and head wear, but
          with a five paneled top, instead of the two panel design that I like.
          The neck line was also different with a sort of under layer that
          resembled a halter top.

          So, what do you think? Can I get away with it?
          Gwen.

          --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Kelley" <kelley_rambo@...>
          wrote:

          > Dougal -
          > Nice to hear from you. Will you be coming to dance practice on
          > Sunday? :-)
          > Thanks for the fabric suggestions.
          > Cate
          >
          > --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Saball"
          > <dr_douglittle@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Cate & Gwen,
          > >
          > > I am in the process of making two sets of garb. One wool for cooler
          > > monts and the other linen blend for summer months. These two fabrics
          > > are what is acceptable for the Living History groups I am in.
          > However,
          > > cotton can look as effective for SCA events. One of the key things
          > is
          > > to keep hydrated during summer events.
          > >
          > > Happy stitchen'
          > >
          > > Dougal

        • L T
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 19, 2007
            --- Wendi <lobster_kelaguen@...> wrote:

            > The more well-documented medieval Vietnamese garb
            > consisted of the same soft wide legged pants
            > (or optional skirt), and head wear, but
            > with a five paneled top, instead of the two panel
            > design that I like. The neck line was also
            > different with a sort of under layer that
            > resembled a halter top.
            >
            > So, what do you think? Can I get away with it?
            > Gwen.

            I have one comment.. have you ever been to Pennsic and
            seen what the Tuchux women wear? (leather bikinis,
            sometimes with bits of fur)

            You can wear anything you want <smile>.

            Bryn

            PS Asian garb is becoming more popular. You may have a
            very nice outfit for warm weather if you wear the
            Vietnamese garb.

            8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 19, 2007
              I appreciate that Bryn,
              I've never been to a Pennsic, and I have to admire the bravery of
              anyone willing to wear a leather bikini. I know I brought up this
              topic (warm weather garb) a long while ago and someone suggested a
              garb style that was topless. Then again, Egyptian dancers just wore a
              string of beads. I know it's just where people choose to draw the
              line as to what they wear and feel comfortable in. I'm probably doing
              way too much worrying for something that matters very little, but I
              enjoy the research. Just call me obsessively curious.

              Gwen.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 20, 2007
                > The more well-documented medieval Vietnamese garb consisted of the
                > same soft wide legged pants (or optional skirt), and head wear, but
                > with a five paneled top, instead of the two panel design that I like.
                > The neck line was also different with a sort of under layer that
                > resembled a halter top.
                >
                > So, what do you think? Can I get away with it?
                > Gwen.

                I would think so. If you make it out of a lightweight material, it
                might even be cool enough (otherwise, we can both head down to the
                store to cool off :-)
                Cate
              • Doug Saball
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 20, 2007
                  Hi Cate,

                  My artheritus acts up in the cold weather and Mary doesn't like to
                  dance without me. Martin and his girlfriend parted last fall so he
                  is not into dancing either.

                  Additionaly, we are busy with the kid goats & milking the nanny's.
                  Not to mention that Mary has a 3 year old stud coming to the farm
                  this week sometime. Lots of stuff happening.

                  Dougal

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 22, 2007
                    Well you will be missed. And Martin does not have to have a partner
                    to dance. We're more than happy to dance with him. :-)
                    Take care,