Re: Keeping cool at GNEW

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 18, 2007
      Gwen -

      Frieda wore something toga-ish last year. I wore a cotehardie last
      year with lacing - I felt like taking scissors to it, I was so hot
      and couldn't get out of it fast enough! I have thought about putting
      a zipper in the back and leaving the lacing in the front. At least
      it would look somewhat period and I could get out of it easier. This
      year, if I get too hot, I'm going to the little store down the road
      to cool down - it's air conditioned!

      Keith might be right about the Vietnamese garb. What makes it out of
      period? I can't imagine their traditional clothing has changed much
      in 400 years.

      The clothing at that online store you sent the link to looks really
      nice. I was surprised to see so many styles all looking rather
      authentic.

      Cate

      --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Wendi"
      <lobster_kelaguen@...> wrote:

      > Cate,
      > I'm so worried about that! I keep trying to figure out cool garb.
      > The Ottoman garb has just as many layers as the garb I wore last
      time,
      > except the jacket is much longer than a bodice. Last time I went to
      > GNEW, I felt much the same as you, sweltering.
      >
      > Tunics seem to be the lightest, but I just don't like the look for
      > myself. I tried a cotehardie with fake undersleeves, but the
      buttons
      > are driving me mad! I was thinking of a modified (one layer) bliaut
      in
      > a natural fabric? Honestly, the Vietnamese garb was the best for
      hot
      > weather, but the style I like is a bit out of period. Keith said
      > since most people don't care about Vietnamese garb, I could probably
      > get away with it, but I don't know.
      >
      > It's so hard to do period comfortably when our weather is so much
      > hotter than it was back then. Too bad I can't bring myself to wear
      > toga.
      >
      > How about everyone else, any advice for keeping cool?
      >
      > Gwen.
      >

      > --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Kelley" <kelley_rambo@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Gwen -
      > > You've been busy with your research. Do you think the coat will
      be
      > > cool? I was VERY close to melting at GNEW last year in one
      > > layer. :)
      > > Cate
      > >
      > > --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Wendi"
      > > <lobster_kelaguen@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > > I've been doing more research on Ottoman, Turkish, Persian,
      > > > mid-eastern dress as it relates to SCA and belly dancing.
      Sounds
> [...]
      > > > orient and throughout the ages. It also talks about fabric,
      color,
      > > > fit, etc. It is an overview that could really be helpful for
      those
      > > > trying to narrow down their choices. I just wish they had more
      > > > detailed pictures and references.
      > > >
      > > > http://www.mindspring.com/~whill/Handouts/yelek.asim.html
      > > > This site describes how to make a Ghawazee coat, which is
      actually
      > > > yelek or entari (antari) if you want to be period. I like how
      this
      > > > site treats the subject of SCA and ghawazee coat wearing mid-
      > > eastern
      > > > personas, who are trying to figure out what to dance in. It
      makes a
      > > > connection between what is and is not period, while providing
      > > > instructions on making a more period set of clothing that can
      > > still be
      > > > used for dance.
      > > >
      > > > http://www.geocities.com/anahita_whitehorse/ottofemcloth.html
      > > > This is my favorite, because it has detailed pictures. This
      site
      > > does
      > > > a great job of outlining what the Ottoman's wore by describing
      each
      > > > layer and using proper terms.
      > > >
      > > > http://www.island.net/~doerksen/dancpic2.html
      > > > This site shows an SCA dancer in very commonly accepted dancer
      > > garb.
      > > > It makes for nice inspiration, and I would like to hear other
      > > people's
      > > > opinions. In my opinion, if she was wearing a sash instead of
      > > coin
      > > > belt, this would be something I might like to wear.
      > > >

      > > > Like everything else, there is a lot of information out there
      and
      > > some
      > > > of it is conflicting. For example, harem pants... I found many
      > > > references saying that they were just the thing to wear under a
      > > > Persian or Turkish coat and chemise.
      > > >
      > > > Another site says, after careful exploration, she is not
      confident
      > > > that harem pants are period. Shalvar pants are well
      documented,
      > > but
      > > > harem pants could either be loose pants tucked into boots, or
      > > > something depicted in art as genie wear, and not typical to
      actual
      > > > people. Of course, she would like to see people not just be
      > > Ottoman,
      > > > or mid-eastern, but know specifically what people their garb
      > > > represents. Which is a somewhat lofty ambition for those just
      > > > starting out.
      > > >
      > > > Personally, I was thinking I have some great striped fabric
      that
      > > would
      > > > make a nice fitted Ottoman coat. It's 15+ year old fabric and
      > > about
      > > > time I do something with it.
      > > >
      > > > Hope this is of some help to someone out there, feel free to

    • Doug Saball
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 19, 2007
        Hi Cate & Gwen,

        I am in the process of making two sets of garb. One wool for cooler
        monts and the other linen blend for summer months. These two fabrics
        are what is acceptable for the Living History groups I am in. However,
        cotton can look as effective for SCA events. One of the key things is
        to keep hydrated during summer events.

        Happy stitchen'

        Dougal
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 19, 2007
          Dougal -
          Nice to hear from you. Will you be coming to dance practice on
          Sunday? :-)
          Thanks for the fabric suggestions.
          Cate

          --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Saball"

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 19, 2007
            Hello Dougal,
            Do come to dance, we're garbing up! I'll probably choose something
            reminiscent in an unauthentic fabric or maybe something more
            traditional. Either way, I think my Tudor garb may knock people down
            with a mad combo of heavy sleeves and hoops, so it's staying at home.

            I actually did GNEW in all linen chemises and skirts with a cotton
            bodice (I will admit to two non-cotton bodices). I also had a nice
            wide brimmed hat, but I still kept wanting to rip off my skirt, and
            ended up hiking my skirts rather inelegantly to promote air-flow.
            When I simply couldn't stand it anymore, I volunteered to take the
            kids swimming. I think a shorter chemise might have helped with a
            less full skirt.

            Cate, Just 'cause ya asked...
            The Vietnamese ensemble is well-documented for 300 years, and it was
            said to have been patterned after an earlier outfit two sisters wore
            when riding into war on an elephant. Very neat. Anyway, it is a
            Vietnamese tradition not to emulate people who have had great honor.
            So, no one was to wear this outfit in order to honor the sisters.
            It's the same with very famous names of heroes. Sort of like the name
            Bjorn in Sweden is not to be used, due to the popular singer.

            Anyway, I can get the color, the material, the pants, the head wear,
            and the basic shape all relatively authentic. The modern differences
            have to do with fit and shoulder seam placement. I guess it would be
            the equivalent of using a modern pattern that may have darts for a
            Tudor gown which would not.

            There is a part of me that says, hey, there are lots of mentions of
            different ethnic garbs throughout the regions and those sisters had to
            get it from somewhere...

            The more well-documented medieval Vietnamese garb consisted of the
            same soft wide legged pants (or optional skirt), and head wear, but
            with a five paneled top, instead of the two panel design that I like.
            The neck line was also different with a sort of under layer that
            resembled a halter top.

            So, what do you think? Can I get away with it?

            wrote:

            > Dougal -
            > Nice to hear from you. Will you be coming to dance practice on
            > Sunday? :-)
            > Thanks for the fabric suggestions.
            > Cate
            >
            > --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Saball"
            > <dr_douglittle@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Cate & Gwen,
            > >
            > > I am in the process of making two sets of garb. One wool for cooler
            > > monts and the other linen blend for summer months. These two fabrics
            > > are what is acceptable for the Living History groups I am in.
            > However,
            > > cotton can look as effective for SCA events. One of the key things
            > is
            > > to keep hydrated during summer events.
            > >
            > > Happy stitchen'
            > >
            > > Dougal

          • L T
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 19, 2007
              --- Wendi <lobster_kelaguen@...> wrote:

              > The more well-documented medieval Vietnamese garb
              > consisted of the same soft wide legged pants
              > (or optional skirt), and head wear, but
              > with a five paneled top, instead of the two panel
              > design that I like. The neck line was also
              > different with a sort of under layer that
              > resembled a halter top.
              >
              > So, what do you think? Can I get away with it?
              > Gwen.

              I have one comment.. have you ever been to Pennsic and
              seen what the Tuchux women wear? (leather bikinis,
              sometimes with bits of fur)

              You can wear anything you want <smile>.

              Bryn

              PS Asian garb is becoming more popular. You may have a
              very nice outfit for warm weather if you wear the
              Vietnamese garb.

              8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 19, 2007
                I appreciate that Bryn,
                I've never been to a Pennsic, and I have to admire the bravery of
                anyone willing to wear a leather bikini. I know I brought up this
                topic (warm weather garb) a long while ago and someone suggested a
                garb style that was topless. Then again, Egyptian dancers just wore a
                string of beads. I know it's just where people choose to draw the
                line as to what they wear and feel comfortable in. I'm probably doing
                way too much worrying for something that matters very little, but I
                enjoy the research. Just call me obsessively curious.

                Gwen.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 20, 2007
                  > The more well-documented medieval Vietnamese garb consisted of the
                  > same soft wide legged pants (or optional skirt), and head wear, but
                  > with a five paneled top, instead of the two panel design that I like.
                  > The neck line was also different with a sort of under layer that
                  > resembled a halter top.
                  >
                  > So, what do you think? Can I get away with it?
                  > Gwen.

                  I would think so. If you make it out of a lightweight material, it
                  might even be cool enough (otherwise, we can both head down to the
                  store to cool off :-)
                  Cate
                • Doug Saball
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 20, 2007
                    Hi Cate,

                    My artheritus acts up in the cold weather and Mary doesn't like to
                    dance without me. Martin and his girlfriend parted last fall so he
                    is not into dancing either.

                    Additionaly, we are busy with the kid goats & milking the nanny's.
                    Not to mention that Mary has a 3 year old stud coming to the farm
                    this week sometime. Lots of stuff happening.

                    Dougal

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 22, 2007
                      Well you will be missed. And Martin does not have to have a partner
                      to dance. We're more than happy to dance with him. :-)
                      Take care,