Re: confusing

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2007
      Hi,
      Myrrah hasn't been in contact, yet, but she sounds like a great
      resource. Thanks, Analeda.

      I've been driving my husband nuts with my research. I ordered some
      belly dancing videos which are egyptian. Hmm. Egyptian dancing in
      persian or turkish garb, which may or may not be period... It does
      sound like belly dancing in the SCA may be one of those Creative
      endeavors, as Marge suggested.

      Then I got to thinking, which gets me into heaps of trouble. I only
      go to GNEW, and it's usually hot. Last time I went, I was very
      uncomfortable and thought an Indian sari would be better for the heat.
      After fussing with the material, though, I think I would step on it
      and it would fall apart. (I actually read that fussing with the folds
      was part of the allure, pish!) So, I while I was on the topic of
      non-regional non-period garb for belly dance, I started researching
      warm weather garb for perhaps a new persona. Which has me all atwitter.

      Cate's suggestion of courtesan garb, was fun, but I didn't mention it
      to my husband who would kill me (since he doesn't do the SCA thing).
      Although, it did just force me to watch Dangerous Beauty again. There
      are a lot of interesting discussions on-line as to the authenticity of
      the costuming used.

      Anyway, here's where I get to my point, really. I am seriously
      considering developing a Vietnamese persona, Nuyet (Snow White, it's a
      real name and couldn't be more appropriate). The garb is warm weather
      friendly and would be easy to dance in. Plus, nothing is exposed that
      I (and Keith) would rather keep hidden. He did complain that it was
      fitted, even if it did cover neck to ankle. Well, obviously I cannot
      talk to him about garb!

      This has been very fun. My second choice is the non-under-bust
      Persian coat. There is nice one at castlegardencreations.com (You
      may recognize my large fur sleeved tudor gown there, also.) They do
      very good custom work, are concerned about accuracy, and are fairly
      priced. (But I just like to look at the pretty pictures for inspiration.)

      In kindness, Gwen.

      --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Lady Aneleda Cytheria