Re: [EndeweardeTailor] Re: confusing

  • Marjorie Adams
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26 6:01 AM
      Yes, much confusion seems to be inherent in this subject.  However it seems to be conclusive that what most people wear for belly dance garb is not period.  I figure it is one of those things where people just say "I don't care, I'm going to wear it anyway."  That said, it seems that what you refer to as an "underbust" coat, which I have heard referred to as a ghawzee(sp?) coat is more acceptable than anything that is midriff-baring.  If, however, you research the term, you will find more confusion.  The end result being that a historically accurate ghawzee coat looks different than what is often worn.

      Of course, it has been almost a year since I did any research into Middle- and Far-East garb.  Maybe there is something more helpful out there now.

      Good luck and let us know what you come up with!
      Marge

      Kelley <kelley_rambo@...> wrote:
      Lebanese belly dance. I think it would be period for that culture -
      but I have no references to back up that thought. What about
      courtesans from that area of the world during that time period?
      Cate

      --- In EndeweardeTailor@ yahoogroups. com, "Wendi"
      <lobster_kelaguen@ ...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I've been trying to research what to wear to an SCA event for belly
      dancing. These two
      > things seem to be mutually exclusive garb-wise. I've read that
      showing one's belly and
      > underbust coats are not period...but neither is belly dancing
      amongst English country
      > nobles. I realize that perhaps this is where the Creative aspect
      comes in. Anyway, I
      > looked into Turkish, Persian, Indian (who don't belly dance, but
      whose garb looks the
      > closest) and other subcategories of the Ottoman Empire. Although
      I've put very little effort
      > into limiting my persona, I do want to stay at least semi-period in
      the clothes I choose.
      > So, besides total disregard for period dancing garb, what do people
      out there do?

      > Should I also point out that this is strictly academic at this
      point, as my dancing ability is
      > too limited to be revealed outside my livingroom? But, if there
      was really neat garb
      > involved, I might practice more.
      >
      > Kindness,
      > Gwen.

      Finding fabulous fares is fun.

    • Lady Aneleda Cytheria Falconbridge
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27 2:59 PM
        Gwen,

        You may want to pop an email off to Myrrah about this - I attended a
        fancy hafla with her at Pennsic and she had a lot of comments about
        the garb we'd seen at other dancing events - this one I guess tended
        to have more folks in period garb for bellydance, and fewer of the
        SCA-Tribal bellydancers.

        Plus, she teaches dance, and makes all the costumes for her dancers,
        and is a great resource for this sort of thing. I also learned that
        bellydance by women in period would never have been done in the
        company of men - it was a female only celebration (or a male-only
        celebration!) and that changes some of the "rules" of what was
        considered appropriate.

        Email her, she's full o' brains!

        Aneleda

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2007
          Hi,
          Myrrah hasn't been in contact, yet, but she sounds like a great
          resource. Thanks, Analeda.

          I've been driving my husband nuts with my research. I ordered some
          belly dancing videos which are egyptian. Hmm. Egyptian dancing in
          persian or turkish garb, which may or may not be period... It does
          sound like belly dancing in the SCA may be one of those Creative
          endeavors, as Marge suggested.

          Then I got to thinking, which gets me into heaps of trouble. I only
          go to GNEW, and it's usually hot. Last time I went, I was very
          uncomfortable and thought an Indian sari would be better for the heat.
          After fussing with the material, though, I think I would step on it
          and it would fall apart. (I actually read that fussing with the folds
          was part of the allure, pish!) So, I while I was on the topic of
          non-regional non-period garb for belly dance, I started researching
          warm weather garb for perhaps a new persona. Which has me all atwitter.

          Cate's suggestion of courtesan garb, was fun, but I didn't mention it
          to my husband who would kill me (since he doesn't do the SCA thing).
          Although, it did just force me to watch Dangerous Beauty again. There
          are a lot of interesting discussions on-line as to the authenticity of
          the costuming used.

          Anyway, here's where I get to my point, really. I am seriously
          considering developing a Vietnamese persona, Nuyet (Snow White, it's a
          real name and couldn't be more appropriate). The garb is warm weather
          friendly and would be easy to dance in. Plus, nothing is exposed that
          I (and Keith) would rather keep hidden. He did complain that it was
          fitted, even if it did cover neck to ankle. Well, obviously I cannot
          talk to him about garb!

          This has been very fun. My second choice is the non-under-bust
          Persian coat. There is nice one at castlegardencreations.com (You
          may recognize my large fur sleeved tudor gown there, also.) They do
          very good custom work, are concerned about accuracy, and are fairly
          priced. (But I just like to look at the pretty pictures for inspiration.)

          In kindness, Gwen.

          --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Lady Aneleda Cytheria