confusing

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2007
      Hi,
      I've been trying to research what to wear to an SCA event for belly dancing. These two
      things seem to be mutually exclusive garb-wise. I've read that showing one's belly and
      underbust coats are not period...but neither is belly dancing amongst English country
      nobles. I realize that perhaps this is where the Creative aspect comes in. Anyway, I
      looked into Turkish, Persian, Indian (who don't belly dance, but whose garb looks the
      closest) and other subcategories of the Ottoman Empire. Although I've put very little effort
      into limiting my persona, I do want to stay at least semi-period in the clothes I choose.
      So, besides total disregard for period dancing garb, what do people out there do?

      Should I also point out that this is strictly academic at this point, as my dancing ability is
      too limited to be revealed outside my livingroom? But, if there was really neat garb
      involved, I might practice more.

      Kindness,
      Gwen.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2007
        Lebanese belly dance. I think it would be period for that culture -
        but I have no references to back up that thought. What about
        courtesans from that area of the world during that time period?
        Cate

        --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Wendi"
        <lobster_kelaguen@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I've been trying to research what to wear to an SCA event for belly
        dancing. These two
        > things seem to be mutually exclusive garb-wise. I've read that
        showing one's belly and
        > underbust coats are not period...but neither is belly dancing
        amongst English country
        > nobles. I realize that perhaps this is where the Creative aspect
        comes in. Anyway, I
        > looked into Turkish, Persian, Indian (who don't belly dance, but
        whose garb looks the
        > closest) and other subcategories of the Ottoman Empire. Although
        I've put very little effort
        > into limiting my persona, I do want to stay at least semi-period in
        the clothes I choose.
        > So, besides total disregard for period dancing garb, what do people
        out there do?

        > Should I also point out that this is strictly academic at this
        point, as my dancing ability is
        > too limited to be revealed outside my livingroom? But, if there
        was really neat garb
        > involved, I might practice more.
        >
        > Kindness,
        > Gwen.

      • Marjorie Adams
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26, 2007
          Yes, much confusion seems to be inherent in this subject.  However it seems to be conclusive that what most people wear for belly dance garb is not period.  I figure it is one of those things where people just say "I don't care, I'm going to wear it anyway."  That said, it seems that what you refer to as an "underbust" coat, which I have heard referred to as a ghawzee(sp?) coat is more acceptable than anything that is midriff-baring.  If, however, you research the term, you will find more confusion.  The end result being that a historically accurate ghawzee coat looks different than what is often worn.

          Of course, it has been almost a year since I did any research into Middle- and Far-East garb.  Maybe there is something more helpful out there now.

          Good luck and let us know what you come up with!
          Marge

          <lobster_kelaguen@ ...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I've been trying to research what to wear to an SCA event for belly
          dancing. These two
          > things seem to be mutually exclusive garb-wise. I've read that
          showing one's belly and
          > underbust coats are not period...but neither is belly dancing
          amongst English country
          > nobles. I realize that perhaps this is where the Creative aspect
          comes in. Anyway, I
          > looked into Turkish, Persian, Indian (who don't belly dance, but
          whose garb looks the
          > closest) and other subcategories of the Ottoman Empire. Although
          I've put very little effort
          > into limiting my persona, I do want to stay at least semi-period in
          the clothes I choose.
          > So, besides total disregard for period dancing garb, what do people
          out there do?

          > Should I also point out that this is strictly academic at this
          point, as my dancing ability is
          > too limited to be revealed outside my livingroom? But, if there
          was really neat garb
          > involved, I might practice more.
          >
          > Kindness,
          > Gwen.

          Finding fabulous fares is fun.

        • Lady Aneleda Cytheria Falconbridge
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
            Gwen,

            You may want to pop an email off to Myrrah about this - I attended a
            fancy hafla with her at Pennsic and she had a lot of comments about
            the garb we'd seen at other dancing events - this one I guess tended
            to have more folks in period garb for bellydance, and fewer of the
            SCA-Tribal bellydancers.

            Plus, she teaches dance, and makes all the costumes for her dancers,
            and is a great resource for this sort of thing. I also learned that
            bellydance by women in period would never have been done in the
            company of men - it was a female only celebration (or a male-only
            celebration!) and that changes some of the "rules" of what was
            considered appropriate.

            Email her, she's full o' brains!

            Aneleda

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7, 2007
              Hi,
              Myrrah hasn't been in contact, yet, but she sounds like a great
              resource. Thanks, Analeda.

              I've been driving my husband nuts with my research. I ordered some
              belly dancing videos which are egyptian. Hmm. Egyptian dancing in
              persian or turkish garb, which may or may not be period... It does
              sound like belly dancing in the SCA may be one of those Creative
              endeavors, as Marge suggested.

              Then I got to thinking, which gets me into heaps of trouble. I only
              go to GNEW, and it's usually hot. Last time I went, I was very
              uncomfortable and thought an Indian sari would be better for the heat.
              After fussing with the material, though, I think I would step on it
              and it would fall apart. (I actually read that fussing with the folds
              was part of the allure, pish!) So, I while I was on the topic of
              non-regional non-period garb for belly dance, I started researching
              warm weather garb for perhaps a new persona. Which has me all atwitter.

              Cate's suggestion of courtesan garb, was fun, but I didn't mention it
              to my husband who would kill me (since he doesn't do the SCA thing).
              Although, it did just force me to watch Dangerous Beauty again. There
              are a lot of interesting discussions on-line as to the authenticity of
              the costuming used.

              Anyway, here's where I get to my point, really. I am seriously
              considering developing a Vietnamese persona, Nuyet (Snow White, it's a
              real name and couldn't be more appropriate). The garb is warm weather
              friendly and would be easy to dance in. Plus, nothing is exposed that
              I (and Keith) would rather keep hidden. He did complain that it was
              fitted, even if it did cover neck to ankle. Well, obviously I cannot
              talk to him about garb!

              This has been very fun. My second choice is the non-under-bust
              Persian coat. There is nice one at castlegardencreations.com (You
              may recognize my large fur sleeved tudor gown there, also.) They do
              very good custom work, are concerned about accuracy, and are fairly
              priced. (But I just like to look at the pretty pictures for inspiration.)

              In kindness, Gwen.

              --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Lady Aneleda Cytheria