fabric

    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 2, 2006
      Hi,
      I was just at Yardgoods in Waterville. They have some nice flat folds of wool and tapestry
      material for 9.98 per yard. I haven't been to Mardens lately to check prices there, but I
      know their tapestry materials usually run $9 minimum. Just in case anyone is looking.

      I still haven't finished my cotehardie. Since I don't have any events I can attend, I'm
      lacking motivation. I've also done some shrinking since I started, so it needs to be
      drastically altered. I was thinking about hosting a meeting sometime and playing pin the
      dress on the Gwen.

      Hope all is well with everyone.
      Wendi.
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 3, 2006
        Pin the dress on Gwen would be fun. :-) Are you not going to the
        Brawl and Ball on the 18th?
        Cate

        --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Wendi"

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 13, 2007
          Hi all,
          The knitting garden in Madison (just North of Skowhegan) has some
          beautiful Waverly fabrics at 50% off. That's $6 per yard, the sale is
          on until they run out. If you're looking for tapestry or jaquards,
          check them out. It you end up going, let them know I sent you (Wendi
          Richards) and I'll get a discount.

          Take Care,
          Gwen.
        • Marjorie Adams

            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 14, 2007
              My whoopsie.
              Yes, that's the Fabric Garden. I was wondering what kinds of mistakes
              I was going to make. I had about two minutes to write the email,
              before I had to run up and help Keith with the boys.

              Thanks for the info. on the locations. I think I've been to the
              Holiday Ball once. That's probably the only one I can consider. Oh,
              well. I should probably post this on the dance group, but...

              Gwen.

              --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, Marjorie Adams
              <jorie6568@...> wrote:

              > Is that the same place as The Fabric Garden? I drive by there all
              the time. But if I buy more fabric I will have to sew new garb...
              > ~S~
              >
              > Wendi <lobster_kelaguen@...> wrote:
              > Hi all,
              > The knitting garden in Madison (just North of Skowhegan) has some
              > beautiful Waverly fabrics at 50% off. That's $6 per yard, the sale is
              > on until they run out. If you're looking for tapestry or jaquards,
              > check them out. It you end up going, let them know I sent you (Wendi
              > Richards) and I'll get a discount.
              >
              > Take Care,
              > Gwen.
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.
              See how.

            • Cate
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 14, 2007
                But..most of us know what you're referring to. Thinking about
                Carolingia?

                Sara - in reference to your earlier post, you mean you don't have
                fabric already sitting around for new garb? I do. :-)

                <lobster_kelaguen@...> wrote:

                > My whoopsie.
                > Yes, that's the Fabric Garden. I was wondering what kinds of
                mistakes
                > I was going to make. I had about two minutes to write the email,
                > before I had to run up and help Keith with the boys.
                >
                > Thanks for the info. on the locations. I think I've been to the
                > Holiday Ball once. That's probably the only one I can consider. Oh,
                > well. I should probably post this on the dance group, but...
                >
                > Gwen.
                >

                > --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, Marjorie Adams
                > <jorie6568@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Is that the same place as The Fabric Garden? I drive by there all
                > the time. But if I buy more fabric I will have to sew new garb...
                > > ~S~
                > >
                > > Wendi <lobster_kelaguen@> wrote:
                > > Hi all,
                > > The knitting garden in Madison (just North of Skowhegan) has some
                > > beautiful Waverly fabrics at 50% off. That's $6 per yard, the
                sale is
                > > on until they run out. If you're looking for tapestry or jaquards,
                > > check them out. It you end up going, let them know I sent you
                (Wendi
                > > Richards) and I'll get a discount.
                > >
                > > Take Care,
                > > Gwen.
                > >

                > > ---------------------------------
                > > Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.
                > See how.

              • Marjorie Adams
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 14, 2007
                  Well, of course not!  Unless, of course you count the 15 yards or so of linen I bought at Pennsic.  And a similar amount of linen blends.  And probably some lightweight cotton muslin.  And maybe a few yards of purple silk.  But other than that, no, none at all... ; )

                  <lobster_kelaguen@ ...> wrote:

                  > My whoopsie.
                  > Yes, that's the Fabric Garden. I was wondering what kinds of
                  mistakes
                  > I was going to make. I had about two minutes to write the email,
                  > before I had to run up and help Keith with the boys.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the info. on the locations. I think I've been to the
                  > Holiday Ball once. That's probably the only one I can consider. Oh,
                  > well. I should probably post this on the dance group, but...
                  >
                  > Gwen.
                  >

                  > --- In EndeweardeTailor@ yahoogroups. com, Marjorie Adams
                  > <jorie6568@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Is that the same place as The Fabric Garden? I drive by there all
                  > the time. But if I buy more fabric I will have to sew new garb...
                  > > ~S~
                  > >
                  > > Wendi <lobster_kelaguen@ > wrote:
                  > > Hi all,
                  > > The knitting garden in Madison (just North of Skowhegan) has some
                  > > beautiful Waverly fabrics at 50% off. That's $6 per yard, the
                  sale is
                  > > on until they run out. If you're looking for tapestry or jaquards,
                  > > check them out. It you end up going, let them know I sent you
                  (Wendi
                  > > Richards) and I'll get a discount.
                  > >
                  > > Take Care,
                  > > Gwen.
                  > >

                  > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                  > > Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.
                  > See how.

                • freida smith
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 14, 2007
                    I'm the Queen of setting fabric in my house. Just ask my sister. I have a lovely piece of forest green wool laying in a box. Just found a lovely piece of forest green velvet. Rayons  and cottons. the problem is what should I make.
                    freida

                    <lobster_kelaguen@ ...> wrote:

                    > My whoopsie.
                    > Yes, that's the Fabric Garden. I was wondering what kinds of
                    mistakes
                    > I was going to make. I had about two minutes to write the email,
                    > before I had to run up and help Keith with the boys.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the info. on the locations. I think I've been to the
                    > Holiday Ball once. That's probably the only one I can consider. Oh,
                    > well. I should probably post this on the dance group, but...
                    >
                    > Gwen.
                    >

                    > --- In EndeweardeTailor@ yahoogroups. com, Marjorie Adams
                    > <jorie6568@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Is that the same place as The Fabric Garden? I drive by there all
                    > the time. But if I buy more fabric I will have to sew new garb...
                    > > ~S~
                    > >
                    > > Wendi <lobster_kelaguen@ > wrote:
                    > > Hi all,
                    > > The knitting garden in Madison (just North of Skowhegan) has some
                    > > beautiful Waverly fabrics at 50% off. That's $6 per yard, the
                    sale is
                    > > on until they run out. If you're looking for tapestry or jaquards,
                    > > check them out. It you end up going, let them know I sent you
                    (Wendi
                    > > Richards) and I'll get a discount.
                    > >
                    > > Take Care,
                    > > Gwen.
                    > >

                    > > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                    > > Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.
                    > See how.

                  • Deborah Ellis
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 15, 2007
                      My, my! Is this the fabric confessional? I'm just as
                      bad as you ladies - I still have multiple yards of
                      Celtic-print fabric sitting in a box in my upper hall
                      waiting to be turned into garb of some sort.

                      I will say that I have made Melisenda (Mae) a new
                      undertunic this week, and may have enough material to
                      make her two more, if she doesn't object to
                      parti-color ones! I also finished the sideless surcote
                      in gold, which matches the silver one I made last
                      spring. Next project(s) - a parti-color sideless
                      surcote for Mae, a green sideless surcote for her,
                      with accompanying undertunic, and a purple sideless
                      surcote for me. Most of this should be ready for
                      Tourney o' Love, if not sooner.

                      I have to thank Gavin for providing me a place to sew,
                      because my kitchen table wasn't working. So, when he
                      reorganized his office, he set up a table in there for
                      me, and I can sew while I listen to him cuss at the
                      computer (he's redoing a website at the moment). Great
                      fun!

                      Now, weren't we talking about going to balls...?

                      Anne

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Meghan Hannington
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 15, 2007
                        She (or he) who dies with the most fabric wins!

                        My mom and I are terrible too... I don't know how many yards of fabric I've got sitting around because is was a nice color or the right price... then I complain all the time that I'm bored with the garb that I have!  Sounds like it is time for me to get sewing!!

                        Bronwen

                      • Cate
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 15, 2007
                          I have a length of steel blue silk that I bought planning to make an
                          Italian Ren dress - but I am petrified that I will ruin the silk!
                          Someone explain the purpose of bias to me and how to figure out what
                          the bias is, will you? I know it has something to do with the weave of
                          the fabric. I'll probably end up with a cotton mock-up prior to work
                          out the pattern.
                          Cate

                          --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, Meghan Hannington
                          <knutmeg80@...> wrote:

                          > She (or he) who dies with the most fabric wins!
                          >
                          > My mom and I are terrible too... I don't know how many yards of
                          fabric I've got sitting around because is was a nice color or the right
                          price... then I complain all the time that I'm bored with the garb that
                          I have! Sounds like it is time for me to get sewing!!

                          > Bronwen
                          >

                          > ---------------------------------

                        • Cate
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 15, 2007
                            > Now, weren't we talking about going to balls...?
                            >
                            > Anne

                            It sounds like going down to Carolingia on the 1st of Dec might be a
                            possible group effort - Frosty Revels is an interesting name. Sara
                            mentioned that there is instruction and a feast prior to the ball.
                            Cate
                          • L T
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 15, 2007
                              --- Cate <kelley@...> wrote:

                              > I have a length of steel blue silk that I bought
                              > planning to make an
                              > Italian Ren dress - but I am petrified that I will
                              > ruin the silk!

                              Oohhhh! Sounds like beautiful material!

                              > Someone explain the purpose of bias to me and how to
                              > figure out what
                              > the bias is, will you? I know it has something to
                              > do with the weave of
                              > the fabric.

                              Basically "on the bias" affects the way the material
                              will drape when worn. The horizontal and vertical
                              threads form the stability / rigidity of the fabric.
                              The bias is a right angle that allows material to
                              stretch and drape, like this angle below:

                              \
                              \
                              \
                              \
                              \

                              If you took a piece of fabric in your hands going with
                              the grain (finished "selvage" on each side of your
                              hand), then changed your hand position so one hand was
                              high and the other low on each side of the fabric and
                              gave a little tug, you'd feel the fabric stretch more
                              at this angle than if you pulled only top-down or
                              side-to-side. That's the bias of the fabric.

                              Pattern pieces cut on the bias of fabric will stretch
                              and drape diferently (presumably better) than material
                              cut going with the grain.

                              There are several dress diaries that are linked from
                              the Realm of Venus site that have worked with silk.
                              You may want to consider that the weight of your silk
                              is also a factor in its drape - I think some of the
                              people making silk gowns might be working with a
                              heavier weight silk than what we tend to find
                              available in the local JoAnn type fabric stores, which
                              would contribute to their decisin making process in
                              how they want their finished garment to drape.

                              > I'll probably end up with a cotton mock-up
                              > prior to work out the pattern.
                              > Cate

                              Smart!

                              Regards,
                              Bryn

                              > --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, Meghan
                              > Hannington
                              > <knutmeg80@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > She (or he) who dies with the most fabric wins!
                              > >
                              > > My mom and I are terrible too... I don't know
                              > how many yards of
                              > fabric I've got sitting around because is was a nice
                              > color or the right
                              > price... then I complain all the time that I'm bored
                              > with the garb that
                              > I have! Sounds like it is time for me to get
                              > sewing!!
                              > >
                              > > Bronwen

                            • Marjorie Adams
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 15, 2007
                                Well, I know what it is but since I am a self taught sewer my terminology is not very technical.  I could show you much easier than trying to explain.  Usually you cut a pattern with the grainline of the fabric, but the bias is on the diagonal. (If you think of your fabric as laid out a square--or rectangle--think instead of a diamond shape.)  I once made a skirt on the bias.  It just changes how it hangs.  What are you up to?
                                ~Sara~

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 15, 2007
                                  I hate to say it, but most of my fabric-on-hand has been used for
                                  curtains. I've got extra, but I'm much worse about collecting yarn.
                                  Still, at $6 per yard for Waverly... I need to go out more to justify
                                  garb, but my dining room chairs do need recovering.

                                  Now, I know what everyone's been doing... collecting fabric and
                                  avoiding sewing, what a group we are!

                                  <jorie6568@...> wrote:

                                  > Well, of course not! Unless, of course you count the 15 yards or so
                                  of linen I bought at Pennsic. And a similar amount of linen blends.
                                  And probably some lightweight cotton muslin. And maybe a few yards of
                                  purple silk. But other than that, no, none at all... ; )

                                  > Cate <kelley@...> wrote: But..most of us know what you're
                                  referring to. Thinking about
                                  > Carolingia?
                                  >
                                  > Sara - in reference to your earlier post, you mean you don't have
                                  > fabric already sitting around for new garb? I do. :-)
                                  >
                                  > Cate
                                  >
                                  > --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Wendi"
                                  > <lobster_kelaguen@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > My whoopsie.
                                  > > Yes, that's the Fabric Garden. I was wondering what kinds of
                                  > mistakes
                                  > > I was going to make. I had about two minutes to write the email,
                                  > > before I had to run up and help Keith with the boys.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for the info. on the locations. I think I've been to the
                                  > > Holiday Ball once. That's probably the only one I can consider. Oh,
                                  > > well. I should probably post this on the dance group, but...
                                  > >
                                  > > Gwen.
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, Marjorie Adams
                                  > > <jorie6568@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Is that the same place as The Fabric Garden? I drive by there all
                                  > > the time. But if I buy more fabric I will have to sew new garb...
                                  > > > ~S~
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Wendi <lobster_kelaguen@> wrote:
                                  > > > Hi all,
                                  > > > The knitting garden in Madison (just North of Skowhegan) has some
                                  > > > beautiful Waverly fabrics at 50% off. That's $6 per yard, the
                                  > sale is
                                  > > > on until they run out. If you're looking for tapestry or jaquards,
                                  > > > check them out. It you end up going, let them know I sent you
                                  > (Wendi
                                  > > > Richards) and I'll get a discount.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Take Care,
                                  > > > Gwen.
                                  > > >

                                  > > > ---------------------------------
                                  > > > Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail.
                                  > > See how.
                                  > > >

                                  > ---------------------------------
                                  > Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your
                                  homepage.

                                • jessej805
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 15, 2007
                                    I am a firm believer that she who dies with the most fabric wins!
                                    Sometimes I walk through JoAnn's just to touch all the fabric.(Isn't
                                    confession refreshing?)
                                    Elspeth

                                    --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, freida smith <fis1965@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > I'm the Queen of setting fabric in my house. Just ask my sister. I
                                    have a lovely piece of forest green wool laying in a box. Just found a
                                    lovely piece of forest green velvet. Rayons and cottons. the problem
                                    is what should I make.
                                    > freida

                                  • Marjorie Adams
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 16, 2007
                                      Hey that is not quite true!  Some of that fabric is slotted for Pennsic garb, i.e. hot weather garb, and I am still researching what I want to make it into.  I have fabric that is for my boys but they have been growing so much I refuse to make them anything new until we are within a few weeks of an event where they need new garb so it will actually FIT them when it needs to.  Also I have several projects that I am in the middle that I should finish before I start something new.  But if I am going to be attending a few balls in the near future, that gives me a good excuse to say to heck with it and make something new.  But I have to make a new cotehardie pattern if I am going to go that route because my weight has changed again...  Oh for the days when it never fluctuated more than 5 lbs unless I was pregnant.  <sigh>  (It hasn't been the same since baby #6.  Not sure if it is my age, stress from divorce and/or Jossilyn's diagnosis and death, the baby, or a combo of all of them but I sure am tired of it.)

                                      I am going to call Brunhilda and plan a sewing day.  If anyone wants to make the drive to join us, we can get an appropriate space.  Let me know.

                                      And Gwen,  I just realized you must be married to "Keith Richards."  That gave me a chuckle this morning.
                                      ~Sara~

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 16, 2007
                                        I'm glad to hear you are keeping busy. When my parents visited they
                                        made some additions to my sewing room, but there is still a pile of
                                        curtains waiting to be finished. I don't know about the rest of you,
                                        but I don't like sewing on dark days. Of course, it might help if I
                                        heated my sewing room.

                                        I want to go to the ball, too. (whined Cinderella) I need an excuse
                                        to dress up and get fancy. Maybe I can catch a ride?

                                        Yep, Keith Richards, and before him there was Pat Robertson. Keith is
                                        definitely a step up!

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 19, 2008
                                          Hi,
                                          This is a new online store with very good prices. They are an
                                          off-shoot of an Ebay retailer. I have used them before and been happy
                                          with them.

                                          http://www.fabricsbuy.com/

                                          Clare.
                                        • Cate
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 19, 2008
                                            How was the kid's b-day party?

                                            Sara said today she thought next week might be a good time for a
                                            tailor's meeting - maybe we could sing a little, too.

                                            Whatcha think?

                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 11, 2008
                                              Hi,
                                              I'm making an order on fashionfabricsclub.com if anyone wants to order
                                              fabric from them with me, I can combine the orders and use my
                                              membership. They have a lot of linen for $4.95/yard. I want to place
                                              the order this week, so let me know.

                                              Clare.