Re: [EndeweardeTailor] Re: cotehardie

  • jorie6568@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
      Good Luck! I really hope you are able to finish it.
      I'm looking forward to seeing it.

      I haven't put gores in a cotehardie yet, just some
      tunics for my sons. I still don't know if I did it
      right, but they are happy so that's all that matters,
      right? I did like Margaret said--whatever worked as
      the most efficient use of material which amounted to a
      combination of isosceles and right triangles. Then
      sew the rights together and treat it like another
      isosceles. Yes it makes a funky hem, but you can just
      trim the points off. (Don't know if its accurate, if
      that matters to you.)

      There was a big discussion on fastenings on
      cotehardies a while ago. Maybe it was the aotc group?
      But maybe it was another list... I think it was when I
      was doing the buttons for the parti-colored one I
      made. (Actually I think it was triggered by my asking
      what color my buttons should be.) 95 buttons, huh?
      That must be the whole length of the dress. Are you
      doing buttons on the sleeves too?

      Again, I csn't wait to see how it comes out.
      Sara

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Christine Wright
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006

        Gwen, I have no idea how this affects your plans, but the buttons I have are off-white.  My dress was ivory-colored.  I know I don’t have 95 of them, either.  I do have some small metal shank buttons (gold tone) that I possibly have 95 of, and they would probably work just fine.

        Since I’m not sure what your pattern looks like, I can’t tell you exactly how to put the triangles in…you said four pieces, right?  Was that front, back and two sleeves?   My best guess is that you should stitch a straight edge of a gore to the side of the skirt, and have the diagonal edges of the gores be stitched together.  Then, when you are ready to hem, just trim the gores until the hem is rounded.

        Does that make sense?  I’m sorry, I’m tired, it’s been a long day.  If you want live technical support, I will be coming down to Waterville on Friday to pick up some books, and I can drop by your house and have a look.  Or possibly someone with more cotehardie experience than me will be able to tell you what to do, and have it make sense!

        -Ysabiau, who is going to get some sleep now.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
          Ys -
          Your blackwork is great and the corset looks like it has taken a lot
          of time! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
          Cate
          PS - Finally met Frazier at school the other day! I hadn't met him
          before.