Re: [EndeweardeTailor] Re: French hat question

  • jorie6568@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2006
      No, not a chaperon as far as i'm concerned either.
      Maybe Ysabiau can find it in her resources...
      Marge

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Christine Wright
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2006
        "Chaperon" just means hood in French, if that helps any.  It does look like some sort of hood, because all it shows is drapey fabric.  All the hats I've seen from the period have a definite shape.

        I looked through the French medieval encyclopedia, and it shows hoods in a variety of shapes.  It also shows about a million ways in which they were worn or draped over the head.  None of the hats in the book look anything like what the sheep shearing woman is wearing.

        Cate, you're welcome to drop by anytime and have a look at the book.  I'm not sure if I can make the July 9th meeting, but if I can I'll bring the book along to that, too.

        -Ysabiau

        --- Kelley <kelley_rambo@ antiochne. edu> wrote:

        > I looked up chaperon on the net and I'm not sure if
        > this one really
        > qualifies as that. Thoughts? I'll get some pics
        > uploaded.
        > Cate
        >
        > --- In EndeweardeTailor@ yahoogroups. com, "Kelley"
        > <kelley_rambo@ ...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Great! Chaperon. And, yes, it's the one in the
        > Duc de Berry
        > > shearing picture. I have the book of that right
        > now that I got out
        > > of the Belfast library. I'm going to scan in some
        > pictures and
        > I'll
        > > post them when I get to that. It is hard to see
        > exactly what it is
        > > except for some big piece of black fabric on their
        > heads.
        > >
        > > Cate
        > >
        > > --- In EndeweardeTailor@ yahoogroups. com,
        > "Christine Wright"
        > > <ysabiau@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Thank you! I blanked on what it was called! I
        > don't think I get
        > > to be French any more!
        > > >
        > > > -Ysabiau

        Do You Yahoo!?
        http://mail. yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
          Thanks, it would be helpful to look at a few more pics. If you can't
          make it on the 9th, can you send me the title and I'll order it ILL?
          Surely someone has directions for it somewhere...
          Cate

        • Christine Wright
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006
            It's the Encyclopedie Medievale by Viollet-le-Duc, and it's in French.  It was originally given to Jehan by one of his students from Quebec.  I have no idea if you can get it down here.

            I hope to make it to the meeting - everyone has such cool sounding projects, I want to see them!  I've been poking myself with pins, trying to get a new ruff put together.

            -Ysabiau

            Thanks, it would be helpful to look at a few more pics. If you can't
            make it on the 9th, can you send me the title and I'll order it ILL?
            Surely someone has directions for it somewhere...
            Cate

            > Cate, you're welcome to drop by anytime and have a look at the
            book. I'm not sure if I can make the July 9th meeting, but if I can
            I'll bring the book along to that, too.

            > -Ysabiau

          • Kimberly LaMarre
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2006

              Cate,

              I work in 2 libraries and I couldn’t resist looking that one up.  I did not find it in the statewide catalog, but you would be surprised by what the State library has found for people out of state.  If, for some reason, your library won’t send in the request I’ll request it myself through one of my libraries.  That offer goes for anyone else as well.  I am always requesting odd stuff for myself and they are used to it now.; )

              Elena

              It's the Encyclopedie Medievale by Viollet-le-Duc, and it's in French.  It was originally given to Jehan by one of his students from Quebec.  I have no idea if you can get it down here.

              I hope to make it to the meeting - everyone has such cool sounding projects, I want to see them!  I've been poking myself with pins, trying to get a new ruff put together.

              -Ysabiau

              Thanks, it would be helpful to look at a few more pics. If you can't
              make it on the 9th, can you send me the title and I'll order it ILL?
              Surely someone has directions for it somewhere...
              Cate

              > Cate, you're welcome to drop by anytime and have a look at the
              book. I'm not sure if I can make the July 9th meeting, but if I can
              I'll bring the book along to that, too.

              > -Ysabiau

            • ladybrynmillar
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
                Elena has made a very kind offer!

                For those curious to learn more about the Encyclopedie Medievale by
                Viollet le Duc, there is an informational response posting by
                someone on a Kingdom of Atlantia mailing list who gave more detail
                about what this two volume title contains:

                http://merryrose.atlantia.sca.org/archive/1998-08aug/msg00518.html

                For those who don't have access to a library catalog system that
                offers Worldcat (most public libraries can't afford it for the
                public), it is possible to do a free Worldcat search through this
                website:

                http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/open/default.htm

                They list several booksellers who offer free Worldcat searching
                through their websites. Some libraries participate in an open
                catalog "FIND IN A LIBRARY" and list their holdings so they are
                searchable through Google, Google Scholar, or Yahoo.

                The bottom line is that there is enough information to provide a
                librarian with what they need to do a WorldCat search if they have
                access to this feature at their library. If your search turns up an
                OCLC number, write that down in addition to an ISBN or ISSN number,
                along with title, author, publisher, year, and what lending library
                carries the book.

                Bryn

                --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly LaMarre"
                <kalamarre@...> wrote:

                > Cate,
                >

                > I work in 2 libraries and I couldn't resist looking that one up.
                I did not
                > find it in the statewide catalog, but you would be surprised by
                what the
                > State library has found for people out of state. If, for some
                reason, your
                > library won't send in the request I'll request it myself through
                one of my
                > libraries. That offer goes for anyone else as well. I am always
                requesting
                > odd stuff for myself and they are used to it now.; )
                >

                > Elena

              • Christine Wright
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
                  Yes, what a great offer!  Thanks, Elena!

                  The book I have appears to be both parts - the first volume is architecture (including drawings of stained glass windows, with patterns that would adapt well to embroidery).  The second part contains costume and accessories, arms/armor, tools and household items.  The armor section even shows armor and barding for horses.  I'm glad Cate's message prompted me to look at the book, I had forgotten how much was packed into it.

                  -Ysabiau