Re: [EndeweardeTailor] wool and cloaks

  • margaret rochester
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006
      If you want your cicle cloak to  go about 60" from your neck, you will need 7 yards.  Make two rectangles 120" X 60" and sew them up to make a square.  Then make a compas with chalk and string to mark the circle.  A small circle is also cut for the neck.  I found it easier to sew it up fully as a square - then make the circle - then seam rip the center front.  You could just sew the square up half way.

      I like wool for cloaks.  It is natually somewhat fire resistant.  You wear cloaks around a lot of campfires.  Wool is also good with rain.  I have lined mine with cotton.

      I can't off hand remember what 28 oz feels like, but I'm assuming it is a good cloak weight.  If so, then $7.00 a yard is fairly good for 100% wool.  Would you say it is jacket weight?

      I'll bring Godric's full circle very heavy cloak and my half circle much lighter weight cloak to dance practice on Sunday if you would like to take a look at a couple of options.  I much prefer mine, he much prefers his.  There is no right or wrong way.

      Margaret

      Kim <kalamarre@...> wrote:
      Hello all,

      I was wondering how much fabric it takes to make a circle cloak?
      Also, is $6.99/yd a good price for 28 oz/yd wool(60 in wide)?  Is that
      a good weight for a cloak?

      Kim

    • Kimberly LaMarre
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2006

        It is a grey wool fabric that I saw on E-bay—it was described as blanket weight and he also had black, green and yellowish listed.  I also found out that he is local and the actual fabric is at the Fairfield Antiques Mall for $3.50/yd.  I think I will go over there tomorrow and take a closer look at it.

        Kim

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2006
          --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly LaMarre"
          <kalamarre@...> wrote:

          > It is a grey wool fabric that I saw on E-bay—it was described as
          blanket
          > weight and he also had black, green and yellowish listed. I also
          found out
          > that he is local and the actual fabric is at the Fairfield
          Antiques Mall for
          > $3.50/yd. I think I will go over there tomorrow and take a closer
          look at
          > it.

          Don't forget to check out Mardens periodically as well. For a very,
          very long time they carried a coat weight felted wool on rolls for
          the piddling price of $2 per yard. This appears to be the same type
          of wool as I've seen in "finer" womens wool coats. The felted wool
          used to be on rolls in barrels in the home decor fabric area of the
          Brewer Mardens. I think the fabric came from a Maine woolen mill.

          Bryn
        • Deborah Ellis
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2006
            If anyone does come up with any good prices on wool
            for cloaks, please post them and their location. I
            used to be able to get wool ends from Oxford Wooolen
            Mill in Oxford, but I haven't been able to find out if
            they're still in business. Maybe the inquiry could be
            passed to Malagentia as well?

            Anne

            --- ladybrynmillar <ladybrynmillar@...> wrote:

            > --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly
            > LaMarre"
            > <kalamarre@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > It is a grey wool fabric that I saw on E-bay—it
            > was described as
            > blanket
            > > weight and he also had black, green and yellowish
            > listed. I also
            > found out
            > > that he is local and the actual fabric is at the
            > Fairfield
            > Antiques Mall for
            > > $3.50/yd. I think I will go over there tomorrow
            > and take a closer
            > look at
            > > it.
            >
            > Don't forget to check out Mardens periodically as
            > well. For a very,
            > very long time they carried a coat weight felted
            > wool on rolls for
            > the piddling price of $2 per yard. This appears to
            > be the same type
            > of wool as I've seen in "finer" womens wool coats.
            > The felted wool
            > used to be on rolls in barrels in the home decor
            > fabric area of the
            > Brewer Mardens. I think the fabric came from a Maine
            > woolen mill.
            >
            > Bryn

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Christine Wright
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2006
              Keep an eye out at your local Marden's. You can occasionally pick up
              cloak-weight wool for $2/yard, 60 inches wide. There are usually some
              imperfections, so look carefully at the wool before buying. The best place
              to find it is usually the Marden's in Brewer.

              Other than Marden's, or possibly finding a deal online, I think $6.99 is
              actually rather reasonable. You definitely want a heavier weight for a
              cloak.

              -Ysabiau

              > I was wondering how much fabric it takes to make a circle cloak?
              > Also, is $6.99/yd a good price for 28 oz/yd wool(60 in wide)? Is that
              > a good weight for a cloak?
              >
              > Kim
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Kimberly LaMarre
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2006
                I checked at the Fairfield Antiques Mall (where that fabric ended up being)
                and they have quite a bit of varying weights and colors of wool for sale for
                $3.50/yd.

                Kim

                > I was wondering how much fabric it takes to make a circle cloak?
                > Also, is $6.99/yd a good price for 28 oz/yd wool(60 in wide)? Is that
                > a good weight for a cloak?
                >
                > Kim
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links