14th century cotehardies and sideless surcoats....

  • Marge Adams
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2005
      Are any of you familiar with 14th century? I have some questions and
      I am becoming frustrated in my attempts to find the answers on the
      Internet. I have read that cotehardies were sometimes embellished
      with embroidery. Does anyone know if there are any examples of this?
      Also, what kind of trim would be considered appropriate? Were
      surcoats ever similiarly embellished?
      Marge
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
        Hi Marge -

        Something that hasn't been said directly but it something that I think
        I have observed in the SCA (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please) is
        that people have simple clothing and then they have a more elaborate
        outfit to wear to special occasions (like "court" at events, or
        parties, etc.). It might be helpful for you to look at your garb-
        making process in this way, but it is just a suggestion that has seemed
        helpful for me. Start simple, then once the process is down,
        decorate.

        Yes, there are examples of surcotes and cotehardies that were well
        embellished with embroidery. I could probably find some pictures for
        you, but there are also some good links that Ysabiau and I have put up
        on the Tailor link page. There is also a yahoo listserv specifically
        set up for 14th century garb-making. They can also be a resource for
        you. There is also the authentic SCA garb listserv if there are more
        technical questions.

        I'll see if I can pull off some pics and put them in the pic section
        here, but otherwise check out the links to 14th century sites.

        BTW, are you interested in Persian clothing at all? There is a nice
        picture of one person's interpretation of Persian garb at Louise de la
        Mare's Homepage (on the link page).

        Best,
        Cate

        --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, "Marge Adams" <jorie6568@y...>

      • jorie6568@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
          --- Kelley <kelley_rambo@...> wrote:

          > that people have simple clothing and then they have
          > a more elaborate
          > outfit to wear to special occasions (like "court" at
          > events, or
          > parties, etc.). It might be helpful for you to look
          > at your garb-
          > making process in this way, but it is just a
          > suggestion that has seemed
          > helpful for me. Start simple, then once the process
          > is down,
          > decorate.

          Cate,
          I wasn't planning on DOING it yet. We have plenty to
          do just making basic stuff. But Kelsey and I were
          talking while sewing and we became curious. It seemed
          a simple enough question, yet I was frustrated when I
          tried to find the answer.

          > Yes, there are examples of surcotes and cotehardies
          > that were well
          > embellished with embroidery. I could probably find
          > some pictures for
          > you, but there are also some good links that Ysabiau
          > and I have put up
          > on the Tailor link page. There is also a yahoo
          > listserv specifically
          > set up for 14th century garb-making. They can also
          > be a resource for
          > you. There is also the authentic SCA garb listserv
          > if there are more
          > technical questions.
          >
          > I'll see if I can pull off some pics and put them in
          > the pic section
          > here, but otherwise check out the links to 14th
          > century sites.

          We would really like to see pictures so we would
          appreciate that. I have been checking out the links
          and will continue to do so. I am easily distracted
          because I find so much of it interesting.

          > BTW, are you interested in Persian clothing at all?
          > There is a nice
          > picture of one person's interpretation of Persian
          > garb at Louise de la
          > Mare's Homepage (on the link page).

          I am not necessarily interested in MAKING Persian
          clothing at this time, but I have been looking at garb
          from several cultures. I will definitely check it
          out.

          Thanks again for your help.
          Marge

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005
            --- In EndeweardeTailor@yahoogroups.com, <jorie6568@y...> wrote:

            > --- Kelley <kelley_rambo@a...> wrote:

            > > helpful for me. Start simple, then once the process
            > > is down,
            > > decorate.
            >
            > Cate,
            > I wasn't planning on DOING it yet. We have plenty to
            > do just making basic stuff.

            Maybe I was talking more about my OWN process here....:-) I know
            what you mean about getting distracted - I was distracted by your
            question this afternoon and put a bunch of pics up. They are mostly
            ones I have seen often (but it's nice to have them in one place) and
            they primarily come from links off of the Medieval Surcote (something
            like that) site in the link section.

            I've seen one dress diary where the woman made an exquisite replica
            of something she had seen in a painting. It just blew my mind that
            she could interpret such detail from just a painting. I keep looking
            at these pictures and wonder just what this or that is. There seems
            to be so much to re-creating medieval period clothing. When I did
            1870's reinactment, it was so simple - prairie skirts and floppy
            bonnets. Easy!

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2005