Who knows what is "period"?

  • Marge Adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2005
      Couple of things I'm wondering about. Who's up for another meeting
      and when and where should it be?

      Meanwhile, I'm wondering about what is considered "period?" Stripes?
      Plaids? What kinds and what else? Does anyone have some good sources
      to check out?

      Thanks,
      Marge
    • Kimberly LaMarre
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2005
        I would definitely like to do another meeting. I think we should alternate
        between days of the week because there are some people interested who can't
        make a Wednesday evening. I would be happy to host another meeting if
        someone else doesn't want to. I can easily do a Thursday afternoon if that
        would work better and possibly a Saturday or Sunday next month.

        Kim

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2005
          I cannot do Thurs through Sunday as I work, but a Wednesday evening
          (barring any other personal or sheep-related complications) is
          better for me.

          Re: stripes, plaids, etc. Period is from the fall of the Roman
          empire (i.e. about 400 ad) to 1600. Anything in there is fair game,
          as I understand it. From what little research I have done (I
          say "little" as the more research I do the MORE I see I have to
          learn!), plaids were used by Celtic groups (and that can mean
          several sorts of things), but I have also seen a parti-colored gown
          (kirtle maybe??) that was part solid and part plaid. Not sure if I
          could find the picture again, but it is out there. Now, for
          stripes, I'm not sure what I've seen in that yet, but some research
          might bring something up. The SCA garb listserv is really great,
          especially for links and such. I've found it very informative.
          Maybe someone else has some suggestions.

          The thing I'm thinking is start out with a basic solid color kirtle
          and perhaps a basic chemise for underneath (with maybe some
          pantaloons (later period name for them, I'm sure) for winter) just
          to get the bodice/lacing/layering aspect of sewing/garbing down,
          then go for the more complicated 15th and 16th century gowns. Just
          a thought.

          Cate
        • Christine Wright
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2005
            Hello,
            A Wednesday afternoon/early evening would still be great for me - I go to
            Waterville once a week (Wednesday) for work, and that would let me combine
            trips. Saturdays are Right Out, as we have fencing practice here. Some of
            the kids from the Unity College fencing club came with us to Bare Blade, and
            are interested in doing garb too, so I'm hoping to have occasional workshops
            here in Unity.

            By the way, I am now the proud owner of the deed to the Bare Blade Tavern,
            anyone want to work for me??? <grin>

            As far as I know, plaids are definitely period, but be careful of which ones
            you use as some of the designs are not period (Blackwatch being one of
            those). Stripes, I don't remember. Particolor and patchwork are definitely
            period. Brocades are period, but usually were a pattern, not a stripe.
            Start checking out the online art galleries and looking at period portraits
            and see if any gowns have stripes? Best guess.

            -Ysabiau