Future of Unity Dance Workshops

  • Lord Gwillim Kynith
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 22, 2010
      Hi all. OK, it's that time again. We need to decide on the future of the Unity Dance Workshops. The next few weeks, Mel and I will be unavailable (Bridge Investiture, Mother's Day, etc....). Then we're getting into the summer and weekends just disappear.

      You're all certainly welcome to continue to meet without Mel and me if you choose to, but someone else will have to step up and run things.

      Worth noting, for the time being, I intend to keep the alternating Thursday evening Orono dance workshops going for as long as there's interest and our schedules and space permit. There are currently about a dozen regulars attending those workshops and there's room for more (hint!).

      Thoughts???

      Lord Gwillim, Dancemaster Endewearde
    • Melisaunde
      Message 2 of 8 , May 17, 2010
        Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, but I have a ridiculously busy week and need to know what needs to get fit in.

        I haven't heard anything from anybody about interest in dancing down there. So I'm assuming there's no practice this weekend?

        ~ Mel
      • catetredheves
        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2010
          Did I read Gwillim's post wrong? It sounded like you guys were busy and not able to come down for a while. Maybe I misread it.
          Cate

          --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, "Melisaunde" <jsrose@...> wrote:

          > Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, but I have a ridiculously busy week and need to know what needs to get fit in.
          >
          > I haven't heard anything from anybody about interest in dancing down there. So I'm assuming there's no practice this weekend?
          >
          > ~ Mel

        • saraofstoneleigh
          Message 4 of 8 , May 18, 2010
            Apparently I was under the same misconception as well.(?) I thought Gwillim implied that you guys would be unavailable, and unless someone else was available and willing to step in to run it, that there would be no practice in Unity until further notice. Was I wrong? Thomas and I have been busy between building house and moving and, of course, the wedding. We would take time for dance practice--as a general rule--but are not yet set up to fill in to run any (no music!)

            However, Kaleb is hoping to get in one last fighter practice before Panteria so we would not be attending dance practice this Sunday. The following week we will be in Panther Vale. As for June, Hadrian's Keep is hoping for a dance practice before their demo during Waldoboro Days. I assume they want it on a weekend and would have to be before the 19th. (Will you be available to do that, Cate? Or should we plan on making that happen for them?)

            So there is my $.02.

            Sara

            --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, "catetredheves" <kelley_rambo@...> wrote:

            > Did I read Gwillim's post wrong? It sounded like you guys were busy and not able to come down for a while. Maybe I misread it.
            > Cate
            >

            > --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, "Melisaunde" <jsrose@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, but I have a ridiculously busy week and need to know what needs to get fit in.
            > >
            > > I haven't heard anything from anybody about interest in dancing down there. So I'm assuming there's no practice this weekend?
            > >
            > > ~ Mel

          • Lord Gwillim Kynith
            Message 5 of 8 , May 20, 2010
              To Cate and Sara et al. You are correct. The past couple of weeks, M'Lady and I have been unavailable, between Bridge Investiture and the typical summer rush. We just can't make Sundays work on a regular schedule. I think that Mel was just trying to confirm whether there was a dance workshop happening.

              Since no one has stepped up to run the workshops (I am >NOT< being snarky here), it doesn't make sense to keep them going. You guys just can't count on us to do it all summer since we'll be more off than on.

              Sara, I'll get that package of material together for you over the next week or so and you can proceed as you wish.

              In Service,
              Lord Gwillim, Dancemaster Endewearde
            • lobster_kelaguen
              Message 6 of 8 , May 21, 2010
                Dance practice, being the strongest tie I have to the SCA right now, is very important to me. I don't want anyone to think that because I won't step up, I'm apathetic. A new job and ongoing instability here do not leave a lot of time for other things. It is one thing to just show up and have fun (thanks Dance Master!), but another to be the one responsible. I personally don't have the confidence or knowledge, let alone time, to lead. I will miss seeing you all. Hopefully, we can pick up again next fall or winter, if schedules allow. If someone would like to take the lead, I'd be happy to help with finding space in Fairfield during the summer.

                I won't be at GNEW. I'll be away in WA visiting family. Maybe someday something will eventually give and I'll be able to do more with the SCA. I'd hate to lose touch with all the very nice people I've met through it.

                Take Care All,
                Clare

                --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, "saraofstoneleigh" <jorie6568@...> wrote:

                > Apparently I was under the same misconception as well.(?) I thought Gwillim implied that you guys would be unavailable, and unless someone else was available and willing to step in to run it, that there would be no practice in Unity until further notice. Was I wrong? Thomas and I have been busy between building house and moving and, of course, the wedding. We would take time for dance practice--as a general rule--but are not yet set up to fill in to run any (no music!)
                >
                > However, Kaleb is hoping to get in one last fighter practice before Panteria so we would not be attending dance practice this Sunday. The following week we will be in Panther Vale. As for June, Hadrian's Keep is hoping for a dance practice before their demo during Waldoboro Days. I assume they want it on a weekend and would have to be before the 19th. (Will you be available to do that, Cate? Or should we plan on making that happen for them?)
                >
                > So there is my $.02.
                >
                > Sara
                >
                > --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, "catetredheves" <kelley_rambo@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Did I read Gwillim's post wrong? It sounded like you guys were busy and not able to come down for a while. Maybe I misread it.
                > > Cate
                > >

                > > --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, "Melisaunde" <jsrose@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, but I have a ridiculously busy week and need to know what needs to get fit in.
                > > >
                > > > I haven't heard anything from anybody about interest in dancing down there. So I'm assuming there's no practice this weekend?
                > > >
                > > > ~ Mel

              • catetredheves
                Message 7 of 8 , May 22, 2010
                  If we had a practice here in Liberty, would you be able to come down? It's about 40-45 minutes from you. I emailed Nate last night about getting a regular dance practice scheduled for HK. Liberty is about 30 min from Waldoboro, where they are. It may just be my perception, but it seems a lot of things are taking place in Bangor area, but it's just not a drive I can make very often.
                  Cate

                  --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, "lobster_kelaguen" <lobster_kelaguen@...> wrote:

                  > Dance practice, being the strongest tie I have to the SCA right now, is very important to me. I don't want anyone to think that because I won't step up, I'm apathetic. A new job and ongoing instability here do not leave a lot of time for other things. It is one thing to just show up and have fun (thanks Dance Master!), but another to be the one responsible. I personally don't have the confidence or knowledge, let alone time, to lead. I will miss seeing you all. Hopefully, we can pick up again next fall or winter, if schedules allow. If someone would like to take the lead, I'd be happy to help with finding space in Fairfield during the summer.
                  >
                  > I won't be at GNEW. I'll be away in WA visiting family. Maybe someday something will eventually give and I'll be able to do more with the SCA. I'd hate to lose touch with all the very nice people I've met through it.
                  >
                  > Take Care All,
                  > Clare
                  >
                  > --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, "saraofstoneleigh" <jorie6568@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Apparently I was under the same misconception as well.(?) I thought Gwillim implied that you guys would be unavailable, and unless someone else was available and willing to step in to run it, that there would be no practice in Unity until further notice. Was I wrong? Thomas and I have been busy between building house and moving and, of course, the wedding. We would take time for dance practice--as a general rule--but are not yet set up to fill in to run any (no music!)
                  > >
                  > > However, Kaleb is hoping to get in one last fighter practice before Panteria so we would not be attending dance practice this Sunday. The following week we will be in Panther Vale. As for June, Hadrian's Keep is hoping for a dance practice before their demo during Waldoboro Days. I assume they want it on a weekend and would have to be before the 19th. (Will you be available to do that, Cate? Or should we plan on making that happen for them?)
                  > >
                  > > So there is my $.02.
                  > >
                  > > Sara
                  > >
                  > > --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, "catetredheves" <kelley_rambo@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Did I read Gwillim's post wrong? It sounded like you guys were busy and not able to come down for a while. Maybe I misread it.
                  > > > Cate

                • Lord Gwillim Kynith
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 23, 2010
                    To all. I wholeheartedly understand the concern for driving to and from dance practices that are not nearby. That's a big hindrance for us; it's a two hour round trip from Orrington to Unity. Both in terms of time and cost, it's draining.

                    At Sara's request, I'm putting together a "danccemaster package" (CDs and dance cribs) for Sara; she and Thomas have the drive and the know-how to take over the dance workshops in the southern end of the shire and it may work out well.

                    Gwillim