Youth fighter time change ---

  • Cate
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 28, 2008
      How do we want to address this time conflict? It looks like they went
      ahead and changed the time to 1pm on Sundays for youth fighter.
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 29, 2008
        Ouch! What were they thinking?

        I'm glad you said something before I reserved the gazebo.

        Did the youth fighters want to use the park in Fairfield? Can we
        combine?

        If we move dance to 11-1, I will have a conflict with church (and if
        we ever need the church on a rainy day, well, we couldn't).

        If we move dance to 3-5, it may be better, but will the kids be able
        to get here in time?

        If Elena's husband wants to start a youth practice down here (like he
        said a while back) it would probably be the best option.

        Let me know soon, so I can reserve the gazebo (or one of the parks).
        Clare.

        --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, "Cate" <kelley_rambo@...> wrote:

        > How do we want to address this time conflict? It looks like they went
        > ahead and changed the time to 1pm on Sundays for youth fighter.
        > Cate

      • Lady Sara of Stonley
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 29, 2008
          --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, "Wendi" <lobster_kelaguen@...>
          wrote:

          > Ouch! What were they thinking?

          They were thinking about fighting and accomodating their fighters.

          I suppose I could go off on a diatribe about the complete disregard for
          dance. I could also point out that it underlines a certain disdain for
          courtly graces in a Society that is supposed to encourage that kind of
          thing in our young people.

          But it would just be a cover for my disgruntlement at having to choose
          between two things that we like to do. I prefer dance, as does Jacob.
          But he just started fighting again and it irritates me that he has to
          choose between the two. Kaleb enjoys dancing but would almost always
          choose fight practice when forced to choose. The old schedule was
          perfect for us because we were able to squeeze it all in, even if it
          does makes a crazy day--esp when you tack lindy hop on the end. (Have
          I mentioned how exhausted I was Sunday when I got home at 10:30pm? lol)

          But we are just one family and I really don't expect anyone to schedule
          around us. If this works better for most, then I fully support the
          schedule change. They just need to realize that it will either have
          them short 2 youth fighters or dance will be short up to 4 dancers--and
          sometimes we compose half the group that shows up for dance. (Youth
          fighter too, actually, but perhaps the schedule change hopes to remedy
          that.)

          If we can come up with a schedule change for dance that can accomodate
          the time change for fighter, I would appreciate it although I think it
          is unfair to expect that. If it is too difficult, well, my current
          plan is to dance when there is dance, and go to fighter when there is
          not. :)

          Sara
        • freida smith
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 29, 2008
            i'm going to be a non-freida and say nothing

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 29, 2008
              But as it stands, will you go to dance or fighter? You are, afterall,
              supposed to be a youth marshall and, in theory at least, should be
              going to youth fighter. But dance is closer. So what is your plan of
              action as things stand?
              Sara

              --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, freida smith <fis1965@...>
              wrote:

              > i'm going to be a non-freida and say nothing
              >
              > Cate <kelley_rambo@...> wrote: How do we
              want to address this time conflict? It looks like they went
              > ahead and changed the time to 1pm on Sundays for youth fighter.
              > Cate
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              Try it now.

            • L T
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 29, 2008
                Hi,

                Right now I have dance on the Endewearde website
                schedule (as was previously announced) for Sunday, May
                11. Please let me know if I should leave that on the
                schedule or remove it when you sort through if you
                want to hold dance practice that day or not.

                I believe the much earlier time is in part to
                accomodate that Godric will be switching to a new job
                that requires him to work evenings/weekends on second
                shift (as a Sous Chef at Hollywood Slots).

                My opinion - the schedule flip flops are worth talking
                about openly in our group because it helps shake out
                what people can accomodate in their schedules.

                I personally see it as an advantage to keep
                practices/activities "near" each other in
                time/location because it helps improve cross
                communication between special interest groups (just
                the dancers, just the youth fighters, just the
                fighters, just the fencers - all are special
                activities groups). It is far too easy for each group
                to become a bit isolated from the others. One of the
                best features of the EMCC practice is that it has been
                easy to keep in touch with others when you drop by
                practices. Anyone can drop by and find us and we can
                just swing by and visit with each other to stay in
                touch. It also makes it much easier to meet new
                people.

                On the other hand, this may be a good opportunity to
                develop more activities in the Waterville / Fairfield
                area. Continuing to offer dance in that zone can be a
                real strength for the shire since it is more
                convenient to travel to for those living in Malagentia
                or Hadrians Keep. Dance is one of the best recruiting
                tools we have for those gentles who are not inclined
                toward the martial arts activities in the sca.

                I encourage the experienced dancers to continue with
                dance practices and keep everyone informed so they can
                be announced in advance on the yahoo group and on the
                shire website. We want to give each activity the best
                publicity we can to encourage participation and growth
                in our group. You guys have been doing a great job
                with the dance practice schedule - please keep up the
                good work.

                Bryn

                --- Wendi <lobster_kelaguen@...> wrote:

                > I'm glad you said something before I reserved the
                > gazebo.
                >
                > Did the youth fighters want to use the park in
                > Fairfield? Can we combine?
                >
                > If we move dance to 11-1, I will have a conflict
                > with church (and if
                > we ever need the church on a rainy day, well, we
                > couldn't).
                >
                > If we move dance to 3-5, it may be better, but will
                > the kids be able
                > to get here in time?
                >
                > If Elena's husband wants to start a youth practice
                > down here (like he
                > said a while back) it would probably be the best
                > option.
                >
                > Let me know soon, so I can reserve the gazebo (or
                > one of the parks).
                > Clare.
                >
                > --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, "Cate"
                > <kelley_rambo@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > How do we want to address this time conflict? It
                > looks like they went
                > > ahead and changed the time to 1pm on Sundays for
                > youth fighter.
                > > Cate

                Be a better friend, newshound, and
              • Cate
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 29, 2008
                  Well, now, that's not much fun! You should say something...
                  Cate

                  --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, freida smith <fis1965@...> wrote:

                  > i'm going to be a non-freida and say nothing
                  >
                  > Cate <kelley_rambo@...> wrote: How do we
                  want to address this time conflict? It looks like they went
                  > ahead and changed the time to 1pm on Sundays for youth fighter.
                  > Cate
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  Try it now.

                • Cate
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 29, 2008
                    Yes, Bryn, please leave dance as it stands now for the 11th. Clare -
                    please do go ahead and reserve the gazebo. If Sara is willing to come
                    to dance on the 11th (and Frieda and Logan, too, hopefully), then
                    perhaps we can discuss alternatives in person that day, if we need to.
                    Thanks,
                    Cate

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 29, 2008
                      I want to dance it is the only real time I get to be with other silly women.
                      but it would be great to have the dance and youth fighter in the same place so I not taking a chance of getting a ticket to get to Bangor in time.

                      freida

                      wrote:

                      > i'm going to be a non-freida and say nothing
                      >
                      > Cate <kelley_rambo@ ...> wrote: How do we
                      want to address this time conflict? It looks like they went
                      > ahead and changed the time to 1pm on Sundays for youth fighter.
                      > Cate
                      >

                      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                      Try it now.

                    • Cate
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 29, 2008
                        That would probably be the easiest (& best IMO) solution. Gryff
                        suggested that we dance at noon and then youth can be at 3. I'm
                        usually hard pressed to get there by 1 as it is. I know that Thomas
                        often spends Sunday morning with his horse.
                        Cate

                        --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, freida smith <fis1965@...> wrote:

                        > I want to dance it is the only real time I get to be with other
                        silly women.
                        > but it would be great to have the dance and youth fighter in the
                        same place so I not taking a chance of getting a ticket to get to
                        Bangor in time.

                        > freida
                        >
                        > Lady Sara of Stonley <jorie6568@...> wrote:
                        But as it stands, will you go to dance or fighter? You are,
                        afterall,
                        > supposed to be a youth marshall and, in theory at least, should be
                        > going to youth fighter. But dance is closer. So what is your plan of
                        > action as things stand?
                        > Sara
                        >
                        > --- In EndeweardeDance@yahoogroups.com, freida smith <fis1965@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > i'm going to be a non-freida and say nothing
                        > >
                        > > Cate <kelley_rambo@> wrote: How do we
                        > want to address this time conflict? It looks like they went
                        > > ahead and changed the time to 1pm on Sundays for youth fighter.
                        > > Cate

                        > Try it now.

                        Try it now.

                      • L T
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
                          Okey dokey.. I leave the info as is unless I hear of a
                          confirmed schedule change.

                          Bryn