The Entertainers Update

  • watkino
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2010
      A hearty hello to my ragtime buddies here at Elite Syncopations. I confess to a long hiatus from participating in this group, though I am still technically one of its moderators.

      As some of you know, I've been immersed in an exciting project. Production of "The Entertainers" - a film about the annual World Old Time Piano Competition in Peoria, IL.

      Together with my good friends and producers, Nick Holle and Michael Zimmer, we currently have a major grant before ITVS , an organization that funds programming for the Public Television System (PBS).

      The rough edit of the film is in progress, and I have to tell you I'm thrilled by what I've seen so far. I honestly can't think of a film ever produced that will showcase more live performances of ragtime while also including the amazing "back stories" of contemporary performers. Many of whom belong to this group. If you haven't done so, be sure to check out our website at www.theentertainersmovie.com to keep track of updates on the film project.

      On a personal note, I have left my position as a pastor in Iowa and am working as a freelance writer and producer. I plan to move to the Los Angeles area as soon as our house sells.

      I am thrilled to know the growth of this group is nearing 300 members. Who would have thought!

      As my old friend (rest his soul) Rudi Blesh would say, "Keep on Raggin'!"

      -Brent