Magnetic

  • (William) Brett Youens
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 2:37 AM
      Hi guys and gals,

      I am responding to this message from Bill:

      "Hi all.

      I have been asked by a fan the following, which I've simply never stopped to consider. Why was Magnetic Rag published with a common time meter (4/4 or 2/2) rather than the usual 2/4 of ragtime? Easier to notate and read perhaps? It would also require speeding up the meter quite a bit from the usual ragtime March time, etc."

      Ed Berlin talks about this on page 230 of King of Ragtime.  He mentions that many of the singularities of this piece - including the 4/4 time signature - might be related to Joplin wanting to show the "seriousness" of his music and that it was not necessarily strictly ragtime, but more classical music in the mold of ragtime.  That's a paraphrase.

      That seems plausible to me.

      One other effect of putting notes at "double value" is of using less ink.  The story is often told of J.S. Bach having written his Art of Fugue in 4/4 time, but it was published (after his death) in 4/2 time.  Half notes don't half to be filled out with ink and quarter notes don't have beams like their counterparts the eighth notes.  I don't know if this would have been an issue in Joplin's day - it seems to me to be rather unlikely - but I thought I would throw that out there.

      best,
      Brett

      W. Brett Youens
      Sindelfinger Str. 43
      72070 Tübingen
      Germany
      Tel: (49)(07071)914587
      Email: FreeWillyB@...

    • Bill Edwards
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 6:27 AM
        --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "\(William\) Brett Youens" <freewillyb@...> wrote:

        > Ed Berlin talks about this on page 230 of King of Ragtime. He mentions that many of the singularities of this piece - including the 4/4 time signature - might be related to Joplin wanting to show the "seriousness" of his music and that it was not necessarily strictly ragtime, but more classical music in the mold of ragtime. That's a paraphrase.

        That was the first place I went AFTER I posted. I am certainly in line with Ed that it was a [possible motive, but I would also have doubts that all but a few purchasers of the sheet would actually have "got" that aspect, sadly enough.

        > One other effect of putting notes at "double value" is of using less ink. The story is often told of J.S. Bach having written his Art of Fugue in 4/4 time, but it was published (after his death) in 4/2 time. Half notes don't half to be filled out with ink and quarter notes don't have beams like their counterparts the eighth notes. I don't know if this would have been an issue in Joplin's day - it seems to me to be rather unlikely - but I thought I would throw that out there.

        It's more in line with what my original thinking was a well in a roundabout way. Less ink. Less clutter. And compared to some of the Scott rags of 1918 and forward crowded onto two pages given Stark's compliance with the war efforts of using less paper, it is VERY easy to sight read. It's also one of the few Joplin rags spread out over five pages as well, adding to that readability.

        I would think that given he saw to getting this printed by a jobber under his own publishing logo that Joplin was directly involved with the typesetting and proofreading of the final result, which would underscore both aspects listed above, since one would show care in the final product, and one would save money given that he was certainly economically minded during that lean time of 1914.

        Thanks for the reinforcement of Ed's answer and the interesting Bach story as well.

        Never but always out of time, Bill E.
      • georgiagrind
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2 8:57 AM
          Responding to Bill E's statement about Magnetic being more readable because the 4/4 meter spreads things out, I would plug Max Morath's Schirmer folio of the complete Joplin rags. He had them all typeset to eliminate the page turns in the middle of a strain - it has made life so much easier.

          the Amazon link is: http://www.amazon.com/Joplin-Complete-Schirmers-Library-Classics/dp/0793567734/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238687575&sr=8-1

          Now, if only I could figure out how to get folios to stay open, and get quicker with page turns......
        • suzirez
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2 9:19 AM
            One solution to disruptive page turns-- don't have page turns. If the music is public domain, photocopy each page on a separate sheet, then glue them to black card stock. Use black electrical tape to join the pages, and slightly trim the outside pages so they will fold in. Voila! No page turns and the music looks nice and neat across the stand.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2 9:38 AM
              --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "suzirez" <paulsuzi@...> wrote:

              > One solution to disruptive page turns-- don't have page turns. If the music is public domain, photocopy each page on a separate sheet, then glue them to black card stock. Use black electrical tape to join the pages, and slightly trim the outside pages so they will fold in. Voila! No page turns and the music looks nice and neat across the stand.

              Copy at around 73% to 80% size and it's even better, except on the crowded Stark pieces of 1918/1919.

              > --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "georgiagrind" <georgiagrind@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Responding to Bill E's statement about Magnetic being more readable because the 4/4 meter spreads things out, I would plug Max Morath's Schirmer folio of the complete Joplin rags. He had them all typeset to eliminate the page turns in the middle of a strain - it has made life so much easier.

              I have to agree. I take great care when I typeset rags to avoid this, but sometimes it it hard without having some ridiculous stretching or compression on a page, or changing the number of staves.

              > > Now, if only I could figure out how to get folios to stay open, and get quicker with page turns......

              Notebooks with vinyl paper protectors are good for this purpose. A little thicker, obviously, than paper, but easy to grab as they slide against each other, and quick to turn in a 3-ring binder. I can typically get around 30 to 40 pieces in one 2" binder without cover images.

              Bill Edwards
            • jeo@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2 6:43 PM
                Even if it's not public domain, I believe copying for this purpose is considered
                "fair use," and not a violation of copyright law.

                Jim