Denney

  • Bill Edwards
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
      After three collective tries over the past two years, I am feeling
      like I've pretty much reached the boundaries of knowledge I've been
      able to collect on Homer Denney. Still doesn't quite feel complete to
      me, but then again, he did the same job every day for decades - going
      deaf at the helm of a steam calliope.

      So it's pretty fair, but perhaps not as detailed as I'd like. Just the
      same, since it has been asked after, there it is.

      http://ragpiano.com/comps/hdenney.shtml

      I do have a picture. It is just requiring extra editing because of how
      it was formatted. Look for that in a day or so.

      Finest, Bill E.
    • Adam Swanson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
        Are you aware that Denney was at the first St. Louis Ragtime Festival? Mike Montgomery and
        John Arpin both told me about it... Trebor had an acquaintance who knew him, and got him to
        come. Apparently, all he was able to do was take a bow because he was so deaf. You'd have
        to ask the source--Trebor-- for more.

        Adam
      • rag1916
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
          I remember Trebor Tichenor telling me a little bit about meeting Denney
          when I was over at Trebor's house a few months ago. Apparently, he was
          a nice enough guy, but yes, (by then) stone-deaf!

          Wear your ear protection when playing a calliope, ESPECIALLY a steam
          calliope!

          http://www.mmdigest.com/Gallery/Calliope/robbie02.jpg

          See? Robbie Rhodes knows what to do, even though this is only a familar
          Tangley CA-43 air calliope and not one of those dreaded steamers!

          -Andrew

          --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Edwards" <perfbill@...>
          wrote:

          > After three collective tries over the past two years, I am feeling
          > like I've pretty much reached the boundaries of knowledge I've been
          > able to collect on Homer Denney. Still doesn't quite feel complete to
          > me, but then again, he did the same job every day for decades - going
          > deaf at the helm of a steam calliope.
          >
          > So it's pretty fair, but perhaps not as detailed as I'd like. Just the
          > same, since it has been asked after, there it is.
          >
          > http://ragpiano.com/comps/hdenney.shtml
          >
          > I do have a picture. It is just requiring extra editing because of how
          > it was formatted. Look for that in a day or so.
          >
          > Finest, Bill E.

        • Bill Edwards
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
            --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Swanson"
            <ragtime_adam@...> wrote:

            > Are you aware that Denney was at the first St. Louis Ragtime
            Festival? Mike Montgomery and
            > John Arpin both told me about it... Trebor had an acquaintance who
            knew him, and got him to
            > come. Apparently, all he was able to do was take a bow because he
            was so deaf. You'd have
            > to ask the source--Trebor-- for more.

            Duly noted. I owe Trebor a visit in any case. It's an interesting
            couple of sentences, so has been added to the collective, as has the
            edited photograph. Hope it's of some interest.

            Bill E>
          • Jeremy Stevenson
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
              Hi guys! This is the first time I've posted here, though I've kept track of these threads for over a year now...

              I am working on a Denney biography of sorts. I am friends with the Denney family (his granddaughter), and have interviewed her and perused their mementos and memorabilia. I am a Cincinnati native, and have collected Cincinnati and Ohio ragtime numbers for quite some time now. I'm currently in possession of the Denney family photo album, which pretty much archives his life, beginning to end, in documents and many many family pictures. It's a priceless album, and I'm glad to have the relationship that I have with the family. The family also has old wire recordings of him playing his calliope in the backyard which I hope to transfer to a more modern recording medium someday.

              Denney was a prominent Cincinnatian, and judging from the letters and whatnot in this scrapbook, he knew quite a few other prominent contemporary Cincinnatians. Not to mention, he lived across the street from my Grandma in the 60s.

              While we're on the subject, does anyone out there have "Tangle Fingers Rag" and "Miss Gossip"? These are mentioned on covers of other sheet music of his, but I've been to the Library of Congress, not to mention sifted through the remaining sheet music the Denney family still has, and these are nowhere to be found. Terry Parrish and I think the manuscripts probably burned when the Island Queen blew up in Pitt in 1947, and that's his granddaughter's assessment as well.

              Just thought I'd "Chime" in (sorry, bad pun).

              Jeremy Stevenson