Re: Eubie Blake in Brooklyn

  • jtaylor651
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2008
      Thanks, Todd. Very helpful. I've been having trouble finding out
      anything about jazz/ragtime in Brooklyn prior to 1928, and the opening
      of the Brooklyn Paramount. Blake is very much claimed by Brooklyn, even
      though he lived here, as you say, only in the second part of his
      career. Joe Lamb is much more of a "real" local hero, having moved here
      in 1911, according to TAPR (and his house still stands not far from
      where I live; the local elementary school bears his name).

      Jeff

      --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Robbins"
      <coneyislandtodd@...> wrote:

      > Eubie moved to Brooklyn in 1945 when he married his second
      > wife,Marion. It was her home and he used to joke that he got both a
      > wife and a roof over his head.
      >
      > Todd
      >
      > And if you are doing a piece on ragtime & jazz in Brooklyn, you need
      > to mention the College Inn in Coney Island. Many early jazz bands
      > played there.
    • Todd Robbins
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2008
        I am sure that the Brooklyn Eagle newspaper will be of use to you.
        It is online, but only up to 1902.

        As I mentioned, the College Inn in Coney Island was a hot spot for
        music. During the Summer, all the NY cabarets and nightclubs closed
        down and many of the acts came to Coney Island. The ODJB, Memphis
        Five, Jimmy Durante and his Original New Orleans Jazz Band and Ted
        Lewis' band all played there.

        As for ragtime, there was a ragtime invasion of England in 1912. The
        group was known as the Ragtime Octette and it consisted of
        performers, including Lewis Muir, that were discovered in Coney
        Island.

        And Jimmy Durante not only played piano in Coney Island at Diamond
        Tony's and Carey Walshes' saloons (the later with singing waiter
        Eddie Cantor), he also played in a nightclub in Brooklyn called
        Maxine's. Jimmy said that the place was so tough, "if you took off
        your hat, they thought you was a sissy!"

        Todd

        --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "jtaylor651"
        <jtaylor651@...> wrote:

        > Thanks, Todd. Very helpful. I've been having trouble finding out
        > anything about jazz/ragtime in Brooklyn prior to 1928, and the
        opening
        > of the Brooklyn Paramount. Blake is very much claimed by Brooklyn,
        even
        > though he lived here, as you say, only in the second part of his
        > career. Joe Lamb is much more of a "real" local hero, having moved
        here
        > in 1911, according to TAPR (and his house still stands not far from
        > where I live; the local elementary school bears his name).
        >
        > Jeff
        >
        > --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Robbins"
        > <coneyislandtodd@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Eubie moved to Brooklyn in 1945 when he married his second
        > > wife,Marion. It was her home and he used to joke that he got
        both a
        > > wife and a roof over his head.
        > >
        > > Todd
        > >
        > > And if you are doing a piece on ragtime & jazz in Brooklyn, you
        need
        > > to mention the College Inn in Coney Island. Many early jazz
        bands
        > > played there.

      • edberlin
        Message 3 of 8 , May 8, 2008
          Jeff,

          Eubie often said the "coop came with the chicken"; i.e., the house
          came with the wife. However, the marriage certificate of 27 Dec. 1945
          shows that Marion had a Norfolk address & Eubie was already at 284A
          Stuyvesant Ave. in Brooklyn. Just another Eubie story that seems
          short of the truth.

          Ed

          <jtaylor651@...> wrote:

          > Does any one know *what year* Eubie moved to Brooklyn? I haven't been
          > able to find this out. I'm working on a presentation on ragtime/jazz
          > musicians associated with Brooklyn. Thanks! Jeff

        • edberlin
          Message 4 of 8 , May 8, 2008
            Oops, I read the marriage certificate incorrectly. The Brooklyn
            residence in 1945 was Marion's.

            Ed

            --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "edberlin" <edberlin36@...>