Re: EXACTLY as Written.. AKA improvised ever so slightly....

  • waubonsie_park
    Message 1 of 88 , Feb 29, 2008
      I am reminded of my grandmother and her attempts to teach me the
      music of her youth... 1908 - 1916. She had one tune in particular
      that she was fond of. At the same time she was teaching me, @ 1973 (
      I was barely able to toddle up to a full size piano...... ahem..)my
      formal piano teacher was introducing me to Maple Leaf Rag. Also going
      on at the same time, I was mesmerized by the victrola of my great
      grandmother and I was listening to and trying to play such things as
      Mandy, Trail of the lonesome Pine, Livery stable blues... etc.
      Grandmother was of a rather Victorian upbringing... prim and
      proper... with Sundays regarded as hallow. When our Sunday company
      would gather in my youth, grandma would trot me out to play "her
      tune"... somehow... the exact events leading up to this are a wee bit
      foggy now that the years have taken their toll... I went directly
      from her childhood family tune into a rather... how shall I
      say... "upbeat" redition as I, in my head, was merely intermingling
      the victrola music in my head with the stately tune that she had
      taught me with such pride.

      What i will never forget... is that after I had played... her
      version... and my little addendas.. the look on her face was not only
      calm... it was emotionless.. and without a bit of being impressed or
      flustered. (much like the reaction I get from Perfessor when I tell
      him an extremely funny joke...).. and she kindly... yet sternly...
      redirected my attention to matters more to her liking.

      Point of this whole quaint rambling being... my audiences, and myself
      included, are in the music business for one reason.... to make people
      smile... and to enjoy the framework of the composer. However we use
      the composers foundation, the structure above it should be no less
      than enjoyable for all.... at least in my ever so humble opinion.

      Marty Mincer

      -- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, Bill Blomgren
      <billblomgren@...> wrote:

      > My thoughts: Another type of music.. written because it had to
      escape...When you have something inside that demands your attention
      until you write it.

      > My impression: that's the case for some of Mozart (for example the
      bits of the Requiem he finished), some bits of Bach.. some of
      Beethoven, and several of the others. Chopin and so on.

      > That's also the feeling I get listening to some of the rags.
      Others? An exercise, a job.. or something similar. (Gotta pay for
      rent and food.. write something...)

      ______________
      > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

    • rag1916
      Message 88 of 88 , Apr 17, 2008
        When I visited Brad a couple of months ago, he pointed out the
        building where Brun Campbell's barber shop was located. From what I
        recall, there were other businesses occupying it, but it was still
        standing.

        Sorry I don't remember the address or street it was on, but I am not
        that familar with Venice anyway.

        -Andrew

        --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "Rob"