Re: Opinion on a Comparison

  • Bill Edwards
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Um... did I lose you all on this?

      I thrive on the intellect within this group from all age levels and
      abilities, so no answer given to my query is really a wrong answer -
      it is just an insight from another or similar POV.

      I just want to collect some POVs on the application of the love story
      of Freddie to Joplin's motivation for music, depression, writing of
      Treemonisha, dejection at its failure, etc.

      If you are more comfortable off line please use the return links here
      or perfbill at hotmail dot com. This input is part of a much bigger
      project which will be instituted to bring ragtime more mainstream, and
      perhaps provide some unification on the topic in a multi-cultural
      manner. However, I cannot publicly explain any further at this point,
      and hope for some trust and support.

      So please take some action on this question, which while it seems out
      there, is actually just a call for deep thoughts and perceptions.

      No given answer is wrong. But no answer at all is just wrong given the
      collective minds within this community. NO POV will be chided, or
      corrected, or edited. Just assimilated (in a non-Borg manner).

      Thanks for your help. Bill E.
    • Dr. James Henry Pitt-Payne
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Edwards"
        <perfbill@...> wrote:

        > Hey y'all.

        I saw the London Stage Version of Phantom in 1997 on a Saturday
        afternoon matinee as part of someone elses birthday treat. So nuff
        said about that.

        What I wanted to share was the extreme importance of the
        inspirational woman, 'la femme inspiratrice' - a well recognised
        feature of the gifted creative type. I feel that Joplin was probably
        rather introverted and somewhat intuitive and his relationships with
        woman were important to him. In Jungian terms he must have had quite
        an 'anima' driving him along.

        The sad thing is his syphilis which started to bite - well I don't
        believe the dates - but tertiary syphilis can be a long time getting
        going and by the time he got to the general paralysis of the insane
        stage he would have had to be hospitalised.

        But I have a feeling that this must have cast its shadow across his
        life - consciously and unconsciously - and historians would be
        reluctant to give chapter and verse about dates - unless someone
        knows the exact date of the primary attack.

        Conversely we have 'la belle dame sans merci' - the negative aspects
        of the feminine and where they abound in the positive sense, it
        follows that they must exist in the negative sense. So the highs were
        very high, and the lows were very low.

        Just a few thought to get Perf. Bill going!!!!

        James :-)
        retired analyst and MD