James Scott lives through Andrew Barrett

  • Luigi Ranalli
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006

      I just checked the videos of Andrew Barrett and I'm very impressed!
      Compliments, Andrew! You're a great pianist and I really enjoyed your three videos!!!
      I love your version of "Efficiency Rag": you really give justice to James Scott!! Your interpretation and arrangement are superb!
      It's too bad that "Kismet Rag" and "Hot Hands" are not complete. I enjoyed them so much! You've done a wonderful job with them (and BTW these two rags by Scott Hayden and Charley Straight are among my very favorites!) and your duet with the great Tom Brier is so enjoyable!
      I also checked the clip of you playing Ron O'Dell's "Bird-Bath Rag": that's a great rag,  beautifully played, and I liked it very much (I already heard it as midi file in Ron's website, that also features some great recordings of Tom Brier).
      By the way, i hope that Ron will soon post his film of the WCRF on YouTube! I watched his film of the Sutter Creek Festival and it was great!!!! The link is Sutter Creek Ragtime Festival 2006

      Another great clip from that festival was Stevens Price playing Max Hoffman's "Yankee Land", a ragtime masterpiece superbly played by Price!!! The link is Yankee Land

      Keep ragging! Best RAGards

      Luigi

    • pikaren
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
        --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "Luigi Ranalli"
        <luigiranalli@...> wrote:

        > I just checked the videos of Andrew Barrett and I'm very impressed!
        > Compliments, Andrew! You're a great pianist and I really enjoyed
        your
        > three videos!!!
        > I love your version of "Efficiency Rag": you really give justice to
        > James Scott!! Your interpretation and arrangement are superb!
        > It's too bad that "Kismet Rag" and "Hot Hands" are not complete. I
        > enjoyed them so much! You've done a wonderful job with them.

        Andrew,

        I agree with Luigi and Todd. I am SO glad I got to hear you live on
        the Steinway at the festival. Your warmth just exudes when you
        play. I can tell you love it, and it is so contagious! I can't wait
        to get your CD, please keep us posted!! I loved what you did with
        the Kismet Rag!!, one of my favorites, particularly your improv on
        the section A repeat...wow. cool stride bass too...so smooth!!
        Efficiency was jaw dropping good. I hope these pieces are on your
        CD!!

        Karen
      • rag1916
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2007
          Dear Luigi and Karen,

          I was looking through the group archives recently and found your
          messages; I somehow must have missed them earlier! Thank you very
          much for your compliments!; I really enjoy those pieces too; that's
          why I play them. I'm really glad you enjoyed them!

          As to "Hot Hands", I have to say a lot of credit should go to Tom; he
          is great at covering up other people's mistakes, and even makes ME
          sound good! I think the energy in that one came from the fact we both
          have a great respect for that piece.

          Anyway, I don't personally own a video camera or else I would have
          posted more videos on Youtube by now... I have to take what I can
          get, and either borrow a camera from a family member or have a friend
          tape me... in this case, Ron O'Dell took the videos, and did a very
          nice job. The short length of most of them is because he only had a
          certain amount of disk space on his camera... and tried to get as
          many different performers as possible... resulting in the "2006 West
          Coast Ragtime Festival" clips part 1 and 2. Next time I have a
          chance, I will borrow somebody's camera so I can record more.

          Stevens is a very enthusiastic performer, and certainly does his part
          to promote ragtime by playing it, by hand or with a piano roll, for
          interested visitors to his ice cream parlor. And of course, he has
          been an important person in the Sutter Creek Ragtime Festival.

          As to my CD...it is "on hold" because I have been buried under a
          mountain of things "to do" for months now; not just school work but
          also things I've promised to do or make for people... sheet music...
          recordings...

          When the CD is finished (I'm not setting a due date), I will tell
          everyone on the group about it. I can tell you that both "Efficiency
          Rag" and "Hot Hands" will be on it for sure... though as solo studio
          versions, not the live West Coast versions you see on Youtube.

          best regards, and thanks again,

          Andrew

          <luigiranalli@...> wrote:

          > I just checked the videos of Andrew Barrett and I'm very impressed!
          > Compliments, Andrew! You're a great pianist and I really enjoyed
          your
          > three videos!!!
          > I love your version of "Efficiency Rag": you really give justice to
          > James Scott!! Your interpretation and arrangement are superb!
          > It's too bad that "Kismet Rag" and "Hot Hands" are not complete. I
          > enjoyed them so much! You've done a wonderful job with them (and BTW
          > these two rags by Scott Hayden and Charley Straight are among my
          very
          > favorites!) and your duet with the great Tom Brier is so enjoyable!
          > I also checked the clip of you playing Ron O'Dell's "Bird-Bath Rag":
          > that's a great rag, beautifully played, and I liked it very much (I
          > already heard it as midi file in Ron's website, that also features
          some
          > great recordings of Tom Brier).
          > By the way, i hope that Ron will soon post his film of the WCRF on
          > YouTube! I watched his film of the Sutter Creek Festival and it was
          > great!!!! The link is Sutter Creek Ragtime Festival 2006
          > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_JlZo5nMRY>
          >
          > Another great clip from that festival was Stevens Price playing Max
          > Hoffman's "Yankee Land", a ragtime masterpiece superbly played by
          > Price!!! The link is Yankee Land
          > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGpX4YxJAwg>
          >
          > Keep ragging! Best RAGards
          >
          > Luigi

        • Ron ODell
          Message 4 of 4 , May 11, 2007
            --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "rag1916" <rag1916@...> wrote:

            > tape me... in this case, Ron O'Dell took the videos, and did a very
            > nice job. The short length of most of them is because he only had a
            > certain amount of disk space on his camera... and tried to get as
            > many different performers as possible... resulting in the "2006 West
            > Coast Ragtime Festival" clips part 1 and 2.

            I did just post a few of the full-length versions of clips
            where I had used only a third or so of the footage. They're
            all still only excerpts, though -- just longer excerpts.
            There's probably one or two more such clips that could go up.

            Anyway, here are the ones I posted Wednesday:

            Ragtime band with Patrick Aranda, Mary Preston, Tom Brier,
            Julia Riley and Kitty Wilson:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI_P553ZriU

            Patrick Aranda and Tom Brier on "Shoutin' Liza Trombone":
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwSTLpEVWOE

            Frederick Hodges and Ann Gibson on "I Love a Piano":
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vWOnU_lW2s

            Tom Brier playing his own "Spasmodic":
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaCQ-s1qW_4

            and finally, long overdue, the special appearance made
            by the late Irene Giblin at the WCRF:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M9OMNZ291Q