Re: Sedalia

  • Bill Edwards
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2006
      Hey everybody (not in Sedalia).

      I have to tell you that the reason nobody here has posted is that we
      have all been occupied virtually every waking hour. We have either
      been downtown floating around venues hearing the best damned ragtime
      ever (EVER!) all over from Scott Joplin/Maple Leaf Park to the Stark
      Pavillion, or at Smith Cotton High School for the concerts and the
      dance, or at the afterglows at Best Western until early morning,
      listening, playing, interfacing.

      By the time we get back to our computers and check email, we have to
      get six hours of sleep and start all over again.

      That's our reasonable excuse. What's yours?

      I want to personally welcome a couple of new members. One is Richard
      Dowling, an amazing pianist from NYC who did very well in Peoria, and
      spends his days in music correction for publication, or even
      transcriptions of legendary piano rolls like those of George Gershwin.
      I you ever have a question about anything Gershwin, or similar
      artists, he is one of the people to go to, so please consider Richard
      a very viable resource, as well as a totally nice guy.

      Also, John Remmers has joined our ranks. AND HE DID IT FROM SEDALIA,
      YET. I know I got Richard involved, so not sure if my mention or
      Bryan's got John involved, but he is also a gem. Once he retired a few
      years back, he suddenly had time to practice, in has become a very
      enjoyable and formidable (and accurate) pianist with a great core of
      ragtime repertoire. REAL ragtime - not the peripheral stuff. Say hey
      to John also.

      Our third new member (freewilly) is Brett Youens, who tragically broke
      his right(?) wrist in a fall from his bicycle just days before the
      Peoria competition, which he was flying over from Germany to attend,
      as well as several venues in Sedalia. Brett is also a talented
      composer, and hopefully we will be able to access some of his work to
      listen to. He is in recovery in a cast at this time (something I know
      of) which creates the possibility/probability of some scar tissue if
      left on too long (something I also have to live with on my left
      elbow). However, Brett seems to be just as determined (and
      understandably frustrated) to get through this, and I believe he will.
      I recommended he join us here for some good reading material, and he
      has already responded to us in a previous post. Just wanted to fill in
      the blanks a little more.

      We are growing.

      So I did this from the road in my non-copious free time. Where have
      the rest of y'all been? Hopefully next year in the coolest (not
      literally) place to be in early June, The Scott Joplin Festival in
      Sedalia, MO. Thanks to all who have been stopping me on the streets or
      in the venues to talk to me in person. It has been absolutely terrific.

      RAGards, Bill Edwards
    • Larisa M.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
        I just got home (drove 16 hours yesterday, got home at 2am, and now am
        at work in a semi-conscious state) - but just wanted to say that
        Sedalia was a truly amazing experience. After hearing all the great
        pianists out there, I'm amazed that the Powers That Be let me play at
        all - but I'm very grateful that they did and that I got to join in on
        the fun. Hearing Martin and Brian play together was an incredible
        thing; I hope they do that again next year.

        Oh, and Richard - your "Graceful Ghost" was one of the highlights of
        the festival for me. That was unbelievably gorgeous. (I hope you come
        back next year...pretty please...)

        LM

        P.S. I'm especially grateful for this because prior to last year's
        Sedalia festival, I'd basically given up on music-making - both on
        playing and composing. To get music back into my life is a gift that I
        never expected. To have people actually taking my little compositions
        seriously is something that I never even dared dream about.
      • Bill Edwards
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
          --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "Larisa M." <larisa@...> wrote:

          > Sedalia was a truly amazing experience. After hearing all the great
          > pianists out there, I'm amazed that the Powers That Be let me play at
          > all - but I'm very grateful that they did and that I got to join in on
          > the fun.

          Somebody forgot to mention that one of their rags was played
          spontaneously by another player which had gone to the trouble to learn
          it, and that somebody was both surprised and pleased to hear their own
          work. Happens to me a lot now, but for this somebody it was a first
          time, and hopefully gratifying.

          RAGards, Somebody else
        • Larisa M.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
            --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Edwards"
            <perfbill@...> wrote:

            > --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "Larisa M." <larisa@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Sedalia was a truly amazing experience. After hearing all the great
            > > pianists out there, I'm amazed that the Powers That Be let me play at
            > > all - but I'm very grateful that they did and that I got to join
            in on
            > > the fun.
            >
            > Somebody forgot to mention that one of their rags was played
            > spontaneously by another player which had gone to the trouble to learn
            > it, and that somebody was both surprised and pleased to hear their own
            > work. Happens to me a lot now, but for this somebody it was a first
            > time, and hopefully gratifying.
            >
            > RAGards, Somebody else

            I've actually heard him play it before in San Antonio (he was even
            kind enough to send me a home recording of it) - but yes, it was
            gratifying. Hmm. That's not the right word. "A dream come true"
            comes closer to expressing the emotion in question.

            There's a lot I forgot to mention - I also forgot to mention a certain
            somebody who was kind enough to accompany me on the string bass. That
            was really cool (thank you!).

            LM (and did I mention that Joseph Lamb's daughter really liked my
            rendition of the Top Liner? Whenever I think that things can't
            possibly get any more incredible at these festivals, they do...)