Re: Another "unknown" rag

  • Ragnar Hellspong
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 20, 2013
      <<The July 26, 1913 issue of Music Trade Review contains this short article:

      "The Gulbransen Rag."
      H. W. Willett, a piano salesman of Middleton,
      Wis., has composed a piece of music which he has
      named the "Gulbransen Rag." He has suggested
      that it be published and used in the form of an
      advertisement, thus ably extolling the virtues of
      the Gulbransen player action.<<

      Thanks Robert,

      This was more accurate information than I could have hoped for! :-)

      <<By the way - I wish you'd amend your piano rolls page to credit the
      recording artist for each MIDI/MP3.<<

      Yes, you are right - I should have added information about roll ID and
      artist from the beginning. Not so easy now that I have a backlog of 183
      rags. I will start collecting this information and hopefully add it
      later this year.

      /Ragnar
    • Ragnar Hellspong
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 26, 2013
        This is not an unknown rag but certainly an obscure one, found on piano
        roll AEO 98955: The Fiddler's Rag by Trovato & A. C. Manning (1911).
        Trovato sounds like an artist name - possibly but not necessarily - of a
        fiddler. The cover says "AS APPEARED IN THE EVENING JOURNAL" and Trovato
        is in big letters, as if he was a well known figure. It seems that the
        score was first published in this magazine before being published by
        Leo. Feist, New York.

        I have zero background information on the composers - does anyone know
        who they were? It's a pretty good rag in my opinion.

        /Ragnar