Re: [EliteSyncopations] Zez Confrey at the Piano

  • johncarney54
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2013
      Great, Richard. Just ordered the book. Will be nice to have a "playing" copy as opposed to a "collector's" copy of most of Confrey's works. Let me know when you put out any other of these ragtime compilations. Thanks.

      John T. Carney

      In a message dated 1/23/2013 9:14:01 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, pianistnyc@... writes:

      Hello ragtimers!

      I am pleased to announce that my new collection ZEZ CONFREY AT THE PIANO has been published by Alfred Music Publishing in California. This 139-page book contains 27 pieces for solo piano by Zez Confrey, including several works that have been out of print for decades (Audacity, The Birds' Carnival, Oriental Fantasy, and Ultra-Ultra). All of our Confrey favorites are included too of course (Kitten on the Keys, Dizzy Fingers, Nickel in the Slot) along with several of his classical works (Concert Etude in F-sharp Minor, Novelette, Relaxation) and a few disc and player piano transcriptions too (My Pet, Poor Buttermilk, and Humorestless).

      This collection is newly engraved; it is not a reprint of the original editions from the 20s and 30s. I have corrected numerous mistakes found in the original editions and have added fingerings and commentary where appropriate. An introduction with historical background about Confrey and individual descriptions of the works is also included. I'd like to thank Tom Brier, Dave Jasen, and Vincent Johnson for their assistance with this year-long labor of love. It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun too. I've been performing a large number of the Confrey works in my programs around the country over the past few months. This coming Saturday afternoon I'll be performing an all-Confrey program (20 of the 27 works from the collection) at the Eagles & Ivories Ragtime Festival at the Muscatine Arts Center in Muscatine, Iowa.

      Of course this new Zez Confrey collection is available at DOWLING MUSIC in Houston and New York City, and also through my webstore. ($19.99...no sales tax for those outside New York State and Texas) Here is the direct link on my company's website where you can see a list of the contents and place orders with a credit card. (Friendly reminder:  we offer free shipping within the United States for all orders over $50.)

      Gotta get back to practicing now...old Zez composed a lot of notes and he's keeping my brain and fingers busy these days! :-)

      RAGards,

           ----- Richard Dowling

      P. S.  Here's a YouTube video of my performance of Kitten on the Keys from a Piatigorsky Foundation recital I gave on January 9th in Orlando, Florida:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvBMmR6PDvQ.

      Richard Dowling, D.M.A., pianist