Re: favorite rags

  • steven auerbach
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
      Davide,
      Do you play those old cakewalks on CD? Or are they available on YouTube? Were you making a general reference to those old-timey numbers or did you have some specific ones in mind?

    • RsH
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
        Many of those old cakewalks are available from the web site of Dr. James
        Pitt-Payne in England, in MIDI format, so you can download the midi and
        then play them using any Midi player, including the VanBosco player and
        SynthFont. Same applies to many rags, marches and novelty piano pieces.

        FWIW
        RsH
        On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 04:11:28 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

        >Davide,
        >Do you play those old cakewalks on CD? Or are they available on YouTube? Were you making a general reference to those old-timey numbers or did you have some specific ones in mind?
      • Davide Longo
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
          Hi Steven!
          I wish I could play the piano! Nowadays I'm also very busy with study (I'm 17) and my school is very hard! Tomorrow, for example, I've the greek licterature test. Well... It's very difficult to find any cakewalk piece on YouTube: at least you can find some unreliable piano rolls or few old(!!!) phonographic recordings, played by bands. There are some sites that have a very big selection of midi files... but, trust me, they're unreliable: about time (especially), dynamics, chords... I know it because I make midis by myself for private use (I studied music by myself). I can send you "Maple Leaf Rag" for an example. Scores are my base. Yes, I know, my midis can be too mechanical, but I spend a lot of time to make them lovingly perfect! Lastly, you can find a lot of scores in this site: "Ted Tjaden Classical Ragtime".

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
            Those really are nice pieces. Concerning "Rose Leaf Rag", I'd just like to say that I have always felt it has some very difficult right-hand fingerings especially in the first and third strains. Great piece, though!

            Regards,
            Fred M. Cain