Scott Joplin's OTHER home in St. Louis

  • Bryan Cather
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 25, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 31 KB
    Or at least one of them......probably

    Scott Joplin's St. Louis  address from c.1905-1907 (roughly the period after Freddie's death, and before his departure to New York City) was 2221 Market Street.  The Rosebud Cafe/Rosebud Bar was located across the street, at 2200-2222 Market

    I've attached a photo from the collection of the Missouri History Museum, that is labelled "Market Street, east of 23rd Looking East" and is dated 1956.

    If the caption of the photo is correct the intersection shown in the middle distance of the would be that of 22nd and Market, with the three-story building on the northwest corner.,  I suspect Joplin's residence would have been either in the three-story building, or the two-story building next to it.  A look at the fire insurance maps will determine whether or not Joplin's residence is in this photo.

    BryanC

  • Bryan Cather
    Message 2 of 3 , Oct 26, 2011
      OK.....went and checked the Sanborn Maps today at the library.  Ugh!  SO CLOSE!  Scott Joplin's residence would have been the flat just off the left edge of the picture.

      Close, very close.....but no cigar.

      BryanC

      Message 3 of 3 , Oct 26, 2011
        While I was there, I also looked at the other side of Market street, which included the Rosebud Bar/Rosebud Cafe.  I also looked at 2117 Lucas, where Joplin was living from (at least) February of 1903 until (at least) his departure to tour with A Guest of Honor (the fabled eleven room house he purchased, according to stories told by Arthur Marshall.

        The Rosebud site proved intriguing, the Lucas site, perplexing.

        The Rosebud building, proper, is a two-story structure, covering 2200 and 2222 Market.  There is a partition between the 2200 side and the 2222 side, but there is a doorway between them.    The building is not very deep, extending from the street perhaps a thrid of the way to the alley.  Behind the building, about half the remaining space is taken by a one story space, subdivided into five rooms.  Between this structure and the alley is a barnlike structure marked "private"  Immeiately to the east of the Rosebud complex, at 2216 and 2218 Market, is a large, barnlike structure, also marked "private" with four major subdivisions, the portion nearest the street being marked "D", which indicates that it was a private residence.  Interestingly, the entire rest of the block is vacant, save  a few residential structures that open onto a side street.  One cannot help but wonder if the entire operations of the Rosebud Cafe/Rosebud Bar were contained within the two story structure, or if, perhaps they included all the property back to the alley, and perhaps even the structure next door.  Stories about the "Hurrah Sporting Club" seem to support this.

        The 2117 Lucas structure is puzzling.  The building at 2117 Lucas appears to be joined to what may have been at one time a seperate structure next door at 2119  At any rate, its certianly a convoluted looking building  Its a mostly two-story structure, with a one story appendage at the rear, and a seperate one story outbuilding midway between the back of the structure and the alley.  The building at 2117 Lucas, as well as several others in that block, are marked "F.B.", an abbreviation that does not appear in the index key.  I am assuming that "F.B" stands for "Flat/Boarders", or a rooming house, presumably with weekly or monthly rents and a transient population.

        The area around 2117 Lucas seems somewhat more commercial than either his previous address on Morgan or the later Market street address.  There is a large livery stable across the street, Central Telephone and Electric is at the end of the block.  One block to the north is both a girls school ("St Joseph's Convent of Mercy") and, across the street from this and a bit further up is a large dairy,(Grafeman's)  including an ice cream factory.

        Bryan C