Rare rags and regionalistic composers

  • Paul Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      I enjoyed reading Andrew Barrett's post on regionalistic (or
      regional?) composers. Anyone who has heard Swamptown Shuffle will
      atest to Jone's wonderful work. I believe it was published in one of
      the reprint folios (one of Trebor's?). I know the music from the US
      Music A-roll arrangement which is very nice.

      As far as composers originally writing their pieces for band versus
      piano seems not too far a stretch. I've found a few wonderful
      ragtime/syncopated surprises, such as a piece titled Kentucky Sunrise.
      I've only heard it in a band arrangement.

      Awhile back, Dick Zimmerman was on a kick of taking band arrangements
      (e.g. the Walking Frog) and performing them on the piano. It was great
      to hear them that way, though I don't know that the band arrangements
      always boiled down well to a piano score. However, I've only heard a
      few of these done.

      I did locate a band arrangement of one of Klickmann's pieces. It
      would be interesting to look and see if it has the conductor's score
      reduced down to a piano version. Rick Benjamin would probably be the
      real expert to check with in this area.

      Certainly pieces were watered down to make them more accessible to a
      wider public. However, I've seen some of Losey's piano scores, and
      you woulda thought they'd bring at least a bit more of the band
      arrangement in to make things interesting.

      Paul Johnson