Re: Ragtime sheet music site

  • Paul Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
      Thanks for the recommendations and the links Ted.

      Is there an FAQ for the site (perhaps this is a Perfessor Bill
      question). For example, directions on how to upload an MP3 file?

      Thanks again Ted.

      Paul Johnson

      --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Tjaden"
      <ted_tjaden@y...> wrote:

      > Hi Paul:
      >
      > There are a number of excellent online sites for sheet music. Under
      > the "links" pages (for members of this group), there is a folder with
      > various links, including the Sheet Music Consortium at
      > http://digital.library.ucla.edu/sheetmusic/ which includes the
      > resources/collections of four libraries.
      >
      > I also like the U of Colorado site at:
      > http://ucblibraries.colorado.edu/music/smp/index.html
      >
      > Ted Tjaden

    • Bill Edwards
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Johnson"
        <zero2sixtymarketing@y...> wrote:

        > Is there an FAQ for the site (perhaps this is a Perfessor Bill
        > question). For example, directions on how to upload an MP3 file?

        Well, I am a tech guy, so I guess I could field this.

        Virtually all of these sites deal in images only. No sound files. When
        my collection goes to a university someday it will with the
        stipulation that the music not only be scanned (multiple sizes) and
        cleaned for the notes pages, but associated with direct MIDI
        transcriptions as well. Or whatever, since this is perhaps 30 or 40
        years from now.

        In any case, downloading virtually any file on the internet can be
        done, most easily and some with finesse. Here is how:

        On a Windows or Linux browser, you can right click on the mouse button
        to get a context menu, from which you will choose Save Target As or
        something similar to that. It brings up a Save As dialog, and you just
        save it as a file. This tends to work better in Netscape and Firefox,
        as some incarnations of IE seem to save all images as bitmaps rather
        than their native jpg or gif format. This is not bad, just
        inconvenient. This should also work for MP3 and WMA and similar files,
        making certain that you click the right mouse button rather than the
        primary button, as you can't always save the audio file when it is
        playing.

        In the case of Macintosh, the procedure is the same except that you
        hold down the Ctrl key while you click the (on most Macs) ONLY mouse
        button (who thought THAT was a good idea??).

        IF the site has a right mouse block ("This function is not available")
        or something like that, don't despair. There are ways. Netscape is
        better in this regard, but you can usually get around in IE. You need
        to go to the View menu and select Source or Page Source. Then noting
        the name of the item you are looking for, do a search in the source
        code for that text. Somewhere around it will be a URL, either full or
        partial. A full URL can simply be pasted into the Address window and
        loaded. In the case of a music file you might get a Save As dialog.
        You can also paste this into the Windows Explorer window (did any of
        you know that Windows Explorer also functions as a browser??) and
        sometimes get better results. If it is a partial url, just select that
        part and paste it onto the end of the current URL, overwriting only
        the current page name. This will usually get you where you are going.

        Remember not to violate copyrights as there is often a reason for
        right mouse context menu blocks. But if it seems supefluous, as it
        sometimes is, you now know something about getting past it, but you
        did not hear it from me and I did not post this publicly for anybody
        to figure out so I am totally non-culpable for any damage done, in
        part because I clearly said so right here that I did not say so. Right?

        Hopefully this will help.

        I believe there is a much older post here from me on how best to clean
        and print these images. If somebody wants to search and give the
        number that would be helpful.

        RAGnificently, Bill E.