Re: [EliteSyncopations] Steampunk

  • Bill Blomgren
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
      You think the steam punk folk would like running into the sort of things found at the start of

      ??

      No fantasy there.. but it does have steam....

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
        A site that regularly showcases steampunk is http//boingboing.net.  It's a pretty high-quality site which accepts submissions from its readers. It's pretty eclectic and quirky and ragtime would fit right in.

        Rick Kaiser
        (In Alaska)

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
          They would LOVE the steam engines and trains! This actually is a really good venue for Ragtime festivals. The whole locale would be great for steampunks! This is a very good suggestion, Bill. Thanks!

          You think the steam punk folk would like running into the sort of things found at the start of

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6zerBLmC_0

          ??

          No fantasy there.. but it does have steam....

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
            Very retro - with 3 or 4 B&Bs in the area to stay at, or drive 40 minutes for a real hotel.  (Unfortunately, sold out by a fishing contest on the lake south of Huntingdon.  That's where I had planned to stay... Instead got very spartan accomodations to the south of Orbisonia at the turnpike.)

            I'm rendering Hiawatha right now... and it has shots of a speeder in operation at the start...

            They would LOVE the steam engines and trains! This actually is a really good venue for Ragtime festivals. The whole locale would be great for steampunks! This is a very good suggestion, Bill. Thanks!

            I've made this suggestion to a number of people in the Ragtime community. Reaching out to this group is an excellent idea. These are young, artistic and intelligent people that appreciate the past. I'm surprised no one has thought of this before. However, any anal Ragtime snobs or ego-maniacs would turn this group off very quickly!!

          • Robert Whaley
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 21, 2010
              Looks like some Steampunkers have discovered ragtime and are planning a trip to Greenfield Village:

              http://community.livejournal.com/steamfashion/2717686.html

              On 07/01/2010 09:28 PM, Bill Blomgren wrote:

[...]

            • jazzpianist
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 21, 2010
                I saw them in attendance last year. Raised some questions in my mind - they stood out - but now they've been happily answered. Think I'll go too.

                Bill E.

                --- In EliteSyncopations@yahoogroups.com, Robert Whaley <whaley@...> wrote:

                > Looks like some Steampunkers have discovered ragtime and are planning a
                > trip to Greenfield Village:
                >
                > http://community.livejournal.com/steamfashion/2717686.html

              • Adam Eyring