Sedalia 10

  • jazzpianist
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010
      A few notes. I've been in town today helping to set things up with new Director Dave Majchrzak, Larry Lyles, Stacy and our posse of helpers.

      There are a couple of things to look out for. Sedalia has been planning on replacing the downtown sidewalks and some of the streets. The sidewalks around Ohio up and down from 2nd to 6th have been spared, but they will be torn up starting next Monday. Just the same, other factors in the construction would have caused the parade to be shortened to perhaps two or three blocks, a long way to bring your classic car for a four minute drive.

      Therefore, this year's Saturday parade, a long-standing tradition, had to be canned. It will be back next year.

      The Stark Pavilion has been moved as well back up to 2nd Street, since there is currently no power available to run the sound on 2th Street. So keep in mind the relocation a couple blocks up from the store, right under the giant Joplin painting.

      We also checked out the new Smith Cotton High School today south of the Best Western. It is a beauty with a wonderful auditorium. It may or may not be in play in the future, but to know that such a fabulous venue exists in Sedalia that is not as cavernous as the fairgrounds stadium is certainly a blessing.

      What do we need to make this type of thing happen, and keep these traditions going?

      BODIES and FANS.

      I will do all I can this year, as in previous, to report on what I can from Sedalia and hopefully excite and incite those who want to come to make your plans now for Sedalia 11. The more advance warning they have about the numbers, the more aggressive the planning becomes and the brighter the hopes are for the future of the event.

      There are several potentially exciting event types and locations being discussed for future years, which can't be revealed yet, but having many of you come, or at least subscribing to Scott Joplin Festival on Facebook, or writing for information from Stacy or filling out forms of interest on www.scottjoplin.org, will all help bring confidence to those running this event (a mind-blowing proposition from the inside, believe me), and keep it in play.

      ANOTHER RELATED NOTE:

      If you can get possession of a Smithsonian Magazine for this month, there is a great article on black achievement in America, with a rather substantial highlight on Scott Joplin dating back to his birth and up to present day in New York, with some focus on Treemonisha. It is good exposure for him and for us who are so interested in ragtime.

      For those in Sedalia, I would be pleased if you could make it to my 11:00 Friday Seminar, titled "The Black and White of Ragtime," in which I will be challenging [with verifiable information] current beliefs in the origins of the music, as well as perceptions of it from both sides during and beyond the ragtime era. I hope to be able to include enough in 45-48 minutes to follow up with a discussion with any historians or even fans in the audience.

      Much of this topic came about researching the opening chapter in They All Made Ragtime, and it really surprised and enlightened me. The rest will be in one of the chapters of Honky-Tonk Piano. A condensed version will be available on my site within a few weeks, but I wanted to debut it first in front of an angry mob of purists for a more dramatic effect. [ONLY KIDDING - DON'T WRITE LETTERS]

      More here, and occasionally on Facebook, as the week progresses. We are around 18 hours from the first downbeat out at SFCC.

      Bill Edwards
    • Bryan Cather
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010

        How to get more bodies: Fans, and Performers

        There's a wonderful advertising tool at your fingertips...you're using it.  THE INTERNET

        utilize, maximize, the videos shot at this year's event.....don't JUST throw them up onto YouTube, but put a nice ten second blurb at the end, encouraging people to attend.

        A certain Three Guys in a Prius were wondering why at least SOME of the stuff that goes on during the Midwest Ragtime Madness isn't broadcast off a live webcam feed.  Ya know, if people SEE, in REAL TIME what they're missing by not being there.....mebbe, jus' mebbe....they might come.

        People who put their performances on YouTube (or viddler, or whatever) are putting their stuff out for a WORLD WIDE audience...  Plan far enough in advance so that, when you put THIS year's stuff online, you can tag it with information about NEXT year's event.   Planning a cross country trip takes time, but if there's a reminder for it every time you watch your favorite ragtime video on YouTube....it at least makes you hanker to be there....and maybe, eventually, you go.

        Also....if the four Midwestern ragtime organizations REALLY need to get better at working closer to not only support each other, but to put together a "Midwest Ragtime Package"....four events, coordinated: venues, hotels, transportation, everything.  There should be a "midwest ragtime web ring" or, a "midwest ragtime portal" that serves as a clearinghouse, of sorts, for the websites for the four organizations, so that visitors who find ONE of the events will find ALL of them.

        I think too, that we're heavy on the "sit and listen" venues at these events, and way too light on the "ragtime as entertainment" type of venues.....to someone only marginally interested in the music, sitting with 75 old people in a tent in hundred degree weather isn't NEARLY as interesting as it would seem, considering how often that scenario is played out.  Smaller, intimate settngs, serving food and drinks, a place to dance, encouraging a "bar/nightclub' atmosphere, rather than a 'concert hall' atmosphere, I suspect, will be far more appealing to those who are sort of 'on the fringes"  You don't have to serve booze, but by creating the right atmosphere, one where the music is not just fun, but part OF the fun....then you've gone a long ways to solving a problem, methinks

        My two cents

        BryanC