Re: [Electronics_101] Got Lights?

    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 31, 2004
      You want to charge a 12V (BIG) battery from a 12V weak system, right?

      well if the weak sytem already has a voltage regulator then you simply
      need to limit the current from the weak system to the battery.

      Stefan

      On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 04:23:02 -0000, kphenix500 <kphenix500@...>
      wrote:

      > Hey guys, I need help. I need to locate or get advice on how to
      > build a device to safely (2 amps max) charge a U1 category power
      > chair battery by connecting to a 12v automotive/motorcycle
      > electrical system. It sounds pretty simple but I have yet to find a
      > company that offers anything like this. I don't know much about
      > electronics - I'm learning by the despiration method. I have a
      > motorcycle powered mini sand buggy that I built from scatch.
      > Unfortunately, the motor's stator only produces 23 to 27 amps - not
      > nearly enough to power the 370 watt off road lighting system I'm
      > using. I am using an Interstate DCS33 battery on the lights in
      > isolation. This setup provides several hours of nighttime duning
      > pleasure. The downside is that I must remove the 30lb battery to
      > charge it. I'd like to have a way to charge on the fly. Any ideas?
      > -ken
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • peterhawken
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
        As I understand it, you have a smalled battery connected to the main
        vehicle electrical system and being charged by the alternator
        attached to the engine. The lighting battery is juist powering the
        lights and isn't connected in any other way. Am I right so far?

        Asuming that is correct, it would seem to make sense to remove the
        alternator that is in place at the moment and fit a larger alternator
        and regulater from a car rather than the small one in pace right
        now. If you have built the rest of the buggy yourself, this
        shouldn't present too many problems and will give you unlimited
        running time on the lights. You will also find that if they are
        being powered by an alternator they will be rather brighter than just
        on the battery. Once in this setup, the large battery will become
        redundant because the alternator should be providing sufficient power
        to drive the lights and charge the existing battery.

        Remember that these components are all high power devices and can
        deliver a huge current. Although it's only 12V, you can still do a
        lot of damage if you get the wiring wrong.

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "kphenix500"
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
          Hi all..

          I wondered if someone here has built a frequency generator.

          I have two max038, and would like the set them up so that one
          can modulate the second either frequency or amplitude, as i like.
          Of course the "standard functions" like manual setting of amplitude
          and frequency, and offset should be present.
          How do i best add modulation inputs to the MAX038?

          I also want a output stage that allows for 20Vpp minimum, like commercial
          generators.
          Can i use a opamp for this? I never worked with fast opamps, what is
          important?
          Any suggestions for a suitable opamp?

          The MAX038 works up to 20MHz, which i would like not to decrease by
          improper design.
          What do i need to pay attention to when designing the PCB?

          My second question is about a frequency counter, i would like to build my
          own either
          from 2 ICM7225 or a cpld, but i do not know what to use as an input stage.
          The counters have ttl/cmos in, how do i best design a input stage that is
          failsave....

          thanks a lot

          Stefan
        • manifold
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Trethan
            <stefan_trethan@g...> wrote:
            > Hi all..
            >
            > I wondered if someone here has built a frequency generator.
            >
            > I have two max038, and would like the set them up so that one
            > can modulate the second either frequency or amplitude, as i like.
            > Of course the "standard functions" like manual setting of amplitude
            > and frequency, and offset should be present.
            > How do i best add modulation inputs to the MAX038?
            >
            > I also want a output stage that allows for 20Vpp minimum, like
            commercial
            > generators.
            > Can i use a opamp for this? I never worked with fast opamps, what is
            > important?
            > Any suggestions for a suitable opamp?
            >
            > The MAX038 works up to 20MHz, which i would like not to decrease by
            > improper design.
            > What do i need to pay attention to when designing the PCB?
            >

            > My second question is about a frequency counter, i would like to
            build my
            > own either
            > from 2 ICM7225 or a cpld, but i do not know what to use as an input
            stage.
            > The counters have ttl/cmos in, how do i best design a input stage
            that is
            > failsave....
            >
            > thanks a lot
            >
            > Stefan

            Yes, I have built a generator using the Exar part, XR2206 ?, and I
            have built a three phase DDS generator from scratch. Not quite the
            same as what you are looking for though. The Maxim part looks good and
            easy to use. You can try looking in applications notes for a good
            output amplifier for your signal generator. It is probably going to
            look a like an op-amp or a high frequency discrete push-pull output
            stage. I used an APEX PA02 for the output stage on the XR2206 because
            that is what I needed and it was really easy and I had one from work.
            The APEX PA09 would work for you but dang they are expensive! $158USD.

            You might want to call the Maxim sales office and see if a field
            applications engineer can point you to the right place for the output
            amp. Don't by shy, it's what they are there for. If they ask about
            volumes, tell them the truth, it's a low volume application, less than
            a hundred per year.

            Also try Linear Technology's application notes. They are very good
            about publishing interesting designs using LT parts and they usually
            show complete designs that just may include the output stage you are
            looking for.
          • kphenix500
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
              Thanks gentlemen for your response. I posted pics in the photo
              section under Ken's Toy. This is a "mini" sand rail (less than
              600lbs) and is powered by a motorcycle engine producing around 80hp.
              The alternator or stator is encased in the engine's side cover and
              cannot be replaced. there is a company known as Ricky Stator that
              rewinds motorcycle & ATV stators to increase their output.
              Unfortunately mine is already operating at peak output and cannot be
              enhanced. It is a fairly common practice with this type vehicle to
              add an external automotive alternator but it is generally driven off
              the final drive and not the crankshaft. Consiquently the alternator
              is only producing power when the vehicle is moving and it also robs
              horespower. You could almost use the light switch for brakes. Just
              joking. Anyway, these are some of the reasons why I chose the aux
              battery setup instead. Bill Darden @ batteryfaq.org says I may be
              able to connect a diode isolator between the 2 batteries. If this
              sounds viable, I need help finding the proper value diode to let no
              more than 2 amps pass through. Thanks again for your advice.
              -ken

              <kphenix500@y...> wrote:
              > Hey guys, I need help. I need to locate or get advice on how to
              > build a device to safely (2 amps max) charge a U1 category power
              > chair battery by connecting to a 12v automotive/motorcycle
              > electrical system. It sounds pretty simple but I have yet to find
              > company that offers anything like this. I don't know much about
              > electronics - I'm learning by the despiration method. I have a
              > motorcycle powered mini sand buggy that I built from scatch.
              > Unfortunately, the motor's stator only produces 23 to 27 amps -
              not
              > nearly enough to power the 370 watt off road lighting system I'm
              > using. I am using an Interstate DCS33 battery on the lights in
              > isolation. This setup provides several hours of nighttime duning
              > pleasure. The downside is that I must remove the 30lb battery to
              > charge it. I'd like to have a way to charge on the fly. Any ideas?
              > -ken
            • Dave Mucha
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
                <kphenix500@y...> wrote:
                > Hey guys, I need help. I need to locate or get advice on how to
                > build a device to safely (2 amps max) charge a U1 category power
                > chair battery by connecting to a 12v automotive/motorcycle
                > electrical system. It sounds pretty simple but I have yet to find a
                > company that offers anything like this. I don't know much about
                > electronics - I'm learning by the despiration method. I have a
                > motorcycle powered mini sand buggy that I built from scatch.
                > Unfortunately, the motor's stator only produces 23 to 27 amps - not
                > nearly enough to power the 370 watt off road lighting system I'm
                > using. I am using an Interstate DCS33 battery on the lights in
                > isolation. This setup provides several hours of nighttime duning
                > pleasure. The downside is that I must remove the 30lb battery to
                > charge it. I'd like to have a way to charge on the fly. Any ideas?
                > -ken

                Hi Ken,

                since you don't get anything for free, your altenator will increase
                drag on the engine and rob hp from the engine as it runs. Just so
                you recognise that.

                That said, your altinaotr will generate voltage based on speed and
                yoru voltage regulator will only pass what is needed. Since you
                probably can charge the battery at idle, high RPM is time spend not
                using the generated power. And by the looks of your photos, that
                does not idle very often.

                Ergo, you should be able to see much higher voltages as the motor RPM
                increases and with the higher voltages, you should be able to deliver
                higher watts.

                Since the voltage regulator is designed to limit voltage to the
                battery at somewhere around 14.7 volts, it is cutting off the power
                most of the time.

                The trick would be to run unfettered at the higher voltages and pull
                off what you can.

                A multi stage voltage regulator might allow you to let the voltage
                run up to 30 volts and then use that to charge the battery.

                Also, you don't really need all 300 watts. If you are getting a few
                hours of run time, charging with 150 watts would increase your time
                considderably.

                Also, you could connect the buggy to the car if you trailer the beast
                and charge it all the way home.

                Just some ideas to kick around.

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
                  a simple diode isn't going to work.
                  you need a current limiter.

                  is the "big ground" and the small ground connected? (chassis or so)

                  you will need a series transistor....

                  ST

                  On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 03:17:20 -0000, kphenix500 <kphenix500@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Thanks gentlemen for your response. I posted pics in the photo
                  > section under Ken's Toy. This is a "mini" sand rail (less than
                  > 600lbs) and is powered by a motorcycle engine producing around 80hp.
                  > The alternator or stator is encased in the engine's side cover and
                  > cannot be replaced. there is a company known as Ricky Stator that
                  > rewinds motorcycle & ATV stators to increase their output.
                  > Unfortunately mine is already operating at peak output and cannot be
                  > enhanced. It is a fairly common practice with this type vehicle to
                  > add an external automotive alternator but it is generally driven off
                  > the final drive and not the crankshaft. Consiquently the alternator
                  > is only producing power when the vehicle is moving and it also robs
                  > horespower. You could almost use the light switch for brakes. Just
                  > joking. Anyway, these are some of the reasons why I chose the aux
                  > battery setup instead. Bill Darden @ batteryfaq.org says I may be
                  > able to connect a diode isolator between the 2 batteries. If this
                  > sounds viable, I need help finding the proper value diode to let no
                  > more than 2 amps pass through. Thanks again for your advice.
                  > -ken
                  >
                  > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "kphenix500"
                  > <kphenix500@y...> wrote:
                  >> Hey guys, I need help. I need to locate or get advice on how to
                  >> build a device to safely (2 amps max) charge a U1 category power
                  >> chair battery by connecting to a 12v automotive/motorcycle
                  >> electrical system. It sounds pretty simple but I have yet to find
                  >> company that offers anything like this. I don't know much about
                  >> electronics - I'm learning by the despiration method. I have a
                  >> motorcycle powered mini sand buggy that I built from scatch.
                  >> Unfortunately, the motor's stator only produces 23 to 27 amps -
                  > not
                  >> nearly enough to power the 370 watt off road lighting system I'm
                  >> using. I am using an Interstate DCS33 battery on the lights in
                  >> isolation. This setup provides several hours of nighttime duning
                  >> pleasure. The downside is that I must remove the 30lb battery to
                  >> charge it. I'd like to have a way to charge on the fly. Any ideas?
                  >> -ken
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                    Dave, I don't think you understand how an alternator and regulator
                    work. It controls both the voltage -and- current, so it's possible to
                    draw, say, 60A at 13.8V from idle to full bore.

                    A vehicle alternator is a 3 phase AC generator that regulates voltage
                    and current by controlling current in the rotor.

                    Here's more detail:
                    http://www.autosite.com/garage/subsys/bachargs.asp

                    To Ken: you don't select a diode to limit current. The alternator's
                    regulator handles that. However, I doubt your current alternator is
                    going to last long charging two batteries, especially when you are
                    adding a load like those lights.

                    Why not just find a larger alternator that will fit? And then do the
                    same for the main battery?

                    Alien Steve

                    --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@y...>

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                      he just wants to partially charge the second batt.
                      (not refill all current the lamps draw.)
                      when he turns off the lamps it can charge fully.

                      you need only limit the current, the voltage is set by the present
                      regulator.
                      when the big battery is full the new current regulator will have almost
                      zero drop.
                      when the big battery is empty the current regulator has enough drop to
                      keep the current
                      at 2A (or whatever wanted).

                      a vehicle "voltage regulator" only regulates voltage, by changing the
                      rotor current.
                      it does NOT regulate the current in any way.

                      (believe me i have built one for my car with temperature compensation and
                      all (winter))

                      st

                      On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:58:22 -0000, Steve <alienrelics@...> wrote:

                      > Dave, I don't think you understand how an alternator and regulator
                      > work. It controls both the voltage -and- current, so it's possible to
                      > draw, say, 60A at 13.8V from idle to full bore.
                      >
                      > A vehicle alternator is a 3 phase AC generator that regulates voltage
                      > and current by controlling current in the rotor.
                      >
                      > Here's more detail:
                      > http://www.autosite.com/garage/subsys/bachargs.asp
                      >
                      > To Ken: you don't select a diode to limit current. The alternator's
                      > regulator handles that. However, I doubt your current alternator is
                      > going to last long charging two batteries, especially when you are
                      > adding a load like those lights.
                      >
                      > Why not just find a larger alternator that will fit? And then do the
                      > same for the main battery?
                      >
                      > Alien Steve
                      >
                      > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      >> That said, your altinaotr will generate voltage based on speed and
                      >> yoru voltage regulator will only pass what is needed. Since you
                      >> probably can charge the battery at idle, high RPM is time spend not
                      >> using the generated power. And by the looks of your photos, that
                      >> does not idle very often.
                      >>
                      >> Ergo, you should be able to see much higher voltages as the motor RPM
                      >> increases and with the higher voltages, you should be able to deliver
                      >> higher watts.
                      >>
                      >> Since the voltage regulator is designed to limit voltage to the
                      >> battery at somewhere around 14.7 volts, it is cutting off the power
                      >> most of the time.
                      >>
                      >> The trick would be to run unfettered at the higher voltages and pull
                      >> off what you can.
                      >>
                      >> A multi stage voltage regulator might allow you to let the voltage
                      >> run up to 30 volts and then use that to charge the battery.
                      >>
                      >> Also, you don't really need all 300 watts. If you are getting a few
                      >> hours of run time, charging with 150 watts would increase your time
                      >> considderably.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • manifold
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                        Motorcycle regulator/alternator sets are a little more primitive. The
                        end of the crankshaft has the alternator rotor attached to it which is
                        a set of permanent magnets. There is a three phase stator around it
                        and the regulator schematics that I have seen use SCRs to control the
                        pulse times to the battery.

                        I assume it is a phase angle triggered circuit but I am not sure where
                        the current limiting comes from. I do know that I have burned up a few
                        stators on various motorcycles usually because the regulator
                        overcharged the battery and it dried it out within a few months. After
                        replaceing the water in the battery and push starting it for a few
                        weeks, gosh, the stator was bad. I rewound it and it worked. Twice.

                        I would go ahead and try connecting the batteries the same way that RV
                        batteries are connected and see if it works. Do RV's use a simple
                        diode to isolate the systems? It probably will be fine and the
                        secondary battery will get some charge from the engine alternator and
                        it will not burn up because you keep water in your batteries :)

                        It will still put extra drag on your engine while the batteries are
                        charging and when your lights are on. The good news is that you may be
                        able to use a smaller lighter secondary battery.

                        Are you using tungsten lights? How about getting more efficient lights
                        that take less power?

                        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alienrelics@y...> wrote:
                        > Dave, I don't think you understand how an alternator and regulator
                        > work. It controls both the voltage -and- current, so it's possible to
                        > draw, say, 60A at 13.8V from idle to full bore.
                        >
                        > A vehicle alternator is a 3 phase AC generator that regulates voltage
                        > and current by controlling current in the rotor.
                        >
                        > Here's more detail:
                        > http://www.autosite.com/garage/subsys/bachargs.asp
                        >
                        > To Ken: you don't select a diode to limit current. The alternator's
                        > regulator handles that. However, I doubt your current alternator is
                        > going to last long charging two batteries, especially when you are
                        > adding a load like those lights.
                        >
                        > Why not just find a larger alternator that will fit? And then do the
                        > same for the main battery?
                        >
                        > Alien Steve
                        >
                        > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > That said, your altinaotr will generate voltage based on speed and
                        > > yoru voltage regulator will only pass what is needed. Since you
                        > > probably can charge the battery at idle, high RPM is time spend not
                        > > using the generated power. And by the looks of your photos, that
                        > > does not idle very often.
                        > >
                        > > Ergo, you should be able to see much higher voltages as the motor RPM
                        > > increases and with the higher voltages, you should be able to deliver
                        > > higher watts.
                        > >
                        > > Since the voltage regulator is designed to limit voltage to the
                        > > battery at somewhere around 14.7 volts, it is cutting off the power
                        > > most of the time.
                        > >
                        > > The trick would be to run unfettered at the higher voltages and pull
                        > > off what you can.
                        > >
                        > > A multi stage voltage regulator might allow you to let the voltage
                        > > run up to 30 volts and then use that to charge the battery.
                        > >
                        > > Also, you don't really need all 300 watts. If you are getting a few
                        > > hours of run time, charging with 150 watts would increase your time
                        > > considderably.
                      • Dave Mucha
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                          Ok, I'll be the first to admit I don't know how the alternator works,
                          but it seems that speed of rotation and energy used to create
                          rotation should equal energy out.

                          So, either the unit uses some hp at idle and some fraction thereof at
                          high RPM, or something else is at play.

                          If the alternator can power a typical vehicle at idle, then the
                          available power at 3x that rpm should offer 3x that power.

                          The voltage regulator would seem to limit the voltage output. so
                          that if the alternator output at 700 RPM is 15 volts, the it would go
                          to logic that 45 volts would be possible at 2,100 RPM.

                          If the unit were to use 1hp of motor power at idle, then the total
                          energy at high RPM should be 3x that at idle ?

                          I am only speculating, but it seems that the goal is to limit voltage
                          to 15volts or less regardless of RPM. If watts followed RPM, then
                          the delivered amps would ramp with RPM.

                          I am wondering if the accepted thinking is to limit voltage to the
                          level needed to charge the battery, and not to pull as much power as
                          possible.

                          I mean that it takes something along the lines of 11 hp to keep a
                          luxury car moving at 55 mph, but the car has a 350 hp engine.
                          Similarly, the maximum domestic car has a watt load of all lights,
                          radio and ignition, so if the generating loop can supply that at
                          idle, it seems to follow that the availabe power at high RPM would be
                          much greater.

                          Of course, I may be missing something but hopefully, someone will
                          point out where I am going wrong.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                            On Friday 02 April 2004 02:57 pm, manifold wrote:
                            > Motorcycle regulator/alternator sets are a little more primitive. The
                            > end of the crankshaft has the alternator rotor attached to it which is
                            > a set of permanent magnets. There is a three phase stator around it
                            > and the regulator schematics that I have seen use SCRs to control the
                            > pulse times to the battery.
                            >
                            > I assume it is a phase angle triggered circuit but I am not sure where
                            > the current limiting comes from. I do know that I have burned up a few
                            > stators on various motorcycles usually because the regulator
                            > overcharged the battery and it dried it out within a few months. After
                            > replaceing the water in the battery and push starting it for a few
                            > weeks, gosh, the stator was bad. I rewound it and it worked. Twice.

                            Would this by any chance have been a battery that sat over the winter without
                            being maintained at full charge? That was the reason I used to sell so darn
                            many of the things each spring, along with garden tractor batteries, and
                            trolling motor batteries, though not all at the same time...

                            > I would go ahead and try connecting the batteries the same way that RV
                            > batteries are connected and see if it works. Do RV's use a simple
                            > diode to isolate the systems?

                            An isolator is actually two diodes, common anode connection to the output of
                            the alternator, and the cathodes going to each battery.

                            > It probably will be fine and the secondary battery will get some charge from
                            > the engine alternator and it will not burn up because you keep water in your
                            > batteries :)

                            Maybe, depending on how much of the time that alternator is expected to
                            deliver power. They do get hot, and are probably not rated to put out 100%
                            of the time.
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                              On Friday 02 April 2004 09:16 pm, Dave Mucha wrote:
                              > Ok, I'll be the first to admit I don't know how the alternator works,
                              > but it seems that speed of rotation and energy used to create
                              > rotation should equal energy out.

                              Yeah, up to a point, but...

                              > So, either the unit uses some hp at idle and some fraction thereof at
                              > high RPM, or something else is at play.
                              >
                              > If the alternator can power a typical vehicle at idle, then the
                              > available power at 3x that rpm should offer 3x that power.

                              Available power? Yeah.

                              > The voltage regulator would seem to limit the voltage output. so
                              > that if the alternator output at 700 RPM is 15 volts, the it would go
                              > to logic that 45 volts would be possible at 2,100 RPM.

                              Why do you assume that as RPMs go up the _voltage_ goes up too?

                              > If the unit were to use 1hp of motor power at idle, then the total
                              > energy at high RPM should be 3x that at idle ?

                              Not necessarily.

                              > I am only speculating, but it seems that the goal is to limit voltage
                              > to 15volts or less regardless of RPM. If watts followed RPM, then
                              > the delivered amps would ramp with RPM.

                              To some extent this is true. I've had a number of cars with ammeters in them,
                              and right after you start up it is fairly common to see that meter swing a
                              little further over when you were giving it some gas. This was only right
                              after you started it, and did moderate pretty quickly as the battery was
                              brought back to full charge.

                              > I am wondering if the accepted thinking is to limit voltage to the
                              > level needed to charge the battery, and not to pull as much power as
                              > possible.

                              The vehicles in question were all Chrysler products. These had three
                              terminals on the alternator, plus ground. One was the output, and was tied
                              to the ignition circuit (and therefore to the battery when the switch was
                              on). The other two were the field coil, and were fed varying amounts of
                              power at a varying duty cycle as determined by the voltage regulator. The
                              regulator was a three-terminal device as well, one of which was tied to the
                              ignition circuit to monitor the battery voltage, and the other of which fed
                              the field coil terminal of the alternator.

                              I don't know how they did it in vehicles with idiot lights or in those setups
                              where the regulator is inside the alternator, which seems to be pretty
                              common with GM products and probably some others.

                              > I mean that it takes something along the lines of 11 hp to keep a
                              > luxury car moving at 55 mph, but the car has a 350 hp engine.
                              > Similarly, the maximum domestic car has a watt load of all lights,
                              > radio and ignition, so if the generating loop can supply that at
                              > idle, it seems to follow that the availabe power at high RPM would be
                              > much greater.

                              Yeah, it's _possible_ to get an alternator to kick out much more power when
                              it's needed, but I doubt that this happens much of the time.

                              > Of course, I may be missing something but hopefully, someone will
                              > point out where I am going wrong.

                              Hope this helps some.
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                                correct....

                                when i have headlights and ventilation on in my car at idle the voltage
                                drops to 13V or so.
                                The field wind in the rotor is then on full bore.

                                slightly more rpm and all is fine... 15V when cold..

                                when running on high rpm the field wind will nearly be off....

                                you should not remove the regulator and connect field to full on,
                                because then the power will be too big at rpm (resistive losses)
                                and your alternator will burn.

                                (also your battery will boil a hole in the car)

                                ST

                                (Note: if you have trouble with the car electrics build a expanded scale
                                voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug. good to know the
                                voltage...)

                                On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 02:16:00 -0000, Dave Mucha <dave_mucha@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Ok, I'll be the first to admit I don't know how the alternator works,
                                > but it seems that speed of rotation and energy used to create
                                > rotation should equal energy out.
                                >
                                > So, either the unit uses some hp at idle and some fraction thereof at
                                > high RPM, or something else is at play.
                                >
                                > If the alternator can power a typical vehicle at idle, then the
                                > available power at 3x that rpm should offer 3x that power.
                                >
                                > The voltage regulator would seem to limit the voltage output. so
                                > that if the alternator output at 700 RPM is 15 volts, the it would go
                                > to logic that 45 volts would be possible at 2,100 RPM.
                                >
                                > If the unit were to use 1hp of motor power at idle, then the total
                                > energy at high RPM should be 3x that at idle ?
                                >
                                > I am only speculating, but it seems that the goal is to limit voltage
                                > to 15volts or less regardless of RPM. If watts followed RPM, then
                                > the delivered amps would ramp with RPM.
                                >
                                > I am wondering if the accepted thinking is to limit voltage to the
                                > level needed to charge the battery, and not to pull as much power as
                                > possible.
                                >

                                > I mean that it takes something along the lines of 11 hp to keep a
                                > luxury car moving at 55 mph, but the car has a 350 hp engine.
                                > Similarly, the maximum domestic car has a watt load of all lights,
                                > radio and ignition, so if the generating loop can supply that at
                                > idle, it seems to follow that the availabe power at high RPM would be
                                > much greater.
                                >
                                > Of course, I may be missing something but hopefully, someone will
                                > point out where I am going wrong.
                                >
                                > Dave
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                >
                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Dave Mucha
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 3, 2004
                                  <stefan_trethan@g...> wrote:
                                  > correct....
                                  >
                                  > when i have headlights and ventilation on in my car at idle the
                                  voltage
                                  > drops to 13V or so.
                                  > The field wind in the rotor is then on full bore.
                                  >
                                  > slightly more rpm and all is fine... 15V when cold..
                                  >
                                  > when running on high rpm the field wind will nearly be off....
                                  >
                                  > you should not remove the regulator and connect field to full on,
                                  > because then the power will be too big at rpm (resistive losses)
                                  > and your alternator will burn.
                                  >
                                  > (also your battery will boil a hole in the car)

                                  http://www.autosite.com/garage/subsys/bachar01.asp#Chap1
                                  "All charging systems use the principle of electromagnetic induction
                                  to generate electrical power. Electromagnetic principle states that a
                                  voltage will be produced if motion between a conductor and a magnetic
                                  field occurs. The amount of voltage produced is affected by:

                                  #1 The speed at which the conductor passes through the magnetic
                                  field.
                                  #2 The strength of the magnetic field.
                                  #3 The number of conductors passing through the magnetic field. "

                                  From this we can establish that RPM varies so #1 does vary.
                                  #2 may be a function of the voltage regulator, or it may be a fixed
                                  value.
                                  #3 is a constant on any given device.

                                  The whole idea is that the alternator spun at some fixed ratio to the
                                  motor. Lower motor RPM= lower alternator RPM = lower output voltage.

                                  The voltage regulator is designed to maintain a voltage very close to
                                  a constant. Remove the regulator and you have nothing more than
                                  coils rotating in a housing. Adding the electrical field to the
                                  windings and you then have coils rotating in a magnetic field and
                                  that will generate voltage in proportion to RPM.

                                  More RPM = More voltage

                                  I totally agree that if one allows the voltage to increase, the
                                  battery will boil.

                                  Also, the coils rotating in the magnetic field can be used as a brake
                                  or at least a major drag on the motor.

                                  If the alternator can produce 100watts at 12 volts, we can deduce
                                  that we are seeing 8.33 amps.

                                  If the alternator were to spin 3x is seems that voltage should
                                  increase 3x (without being regulated to a constant voltage) so that
                                  the alternator would deliver a higher value, I assume it is linear.

                                  So a motor at idle around 700 RPM vs a motor at 2,100 RPM would drive
                                  the alternator to possibly 36 volts ? Same 8.33 amps would yeild 300
                                  watts.

                                  Figure volts times amps / 746 = hp and you rob the motor of roughly 5
                                  hp.

                                  Not enough to stall the motor, but enough to know the lights are on.

                                  Like I said before, I don't know enough about alternators and it
                                  *may* be the voltage regulator alters the magnetic field so as to
                                  maintain the voltage.

                                  But unless there is something else going on, the principal of faster
                                  = more would stand.

                                  How to use 36 volts on 12 volt lights is another matter.

                                  Dave
                                • Steve
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 3, 2004
                                    --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@y...>

                                    > Like I said before, I don't know enough about alternators and it
                                    > *may* be the voltage regulator alters the magnetic field so as to
                                    > maintain the voltage.

                                    Well, that -is- what we've been saying. The strength of the magnetic
                                    field is changed by changing the current in the rotor.

                                    Do you understand that there is no permanent magnet in a standard
                                    vehicle alternator? And that the power is -not- drawn from the rotor?
                                    Power is drawn from 3 phases of coils in the stator.

                                    The magnetic field is created in the rotor by a current through a
                                    winding on it. Rotor spins, generates 3 phases of current/voltage in
                                    the stator windings. Goes through 3 phase rectifier.

                                    Regulator has basically three limits: a max voltage out, max current
                                    out, and a max current into the rotor winding. The max current into
                                    the rotor winding limits power available at low RPMs. If it did not
                                    have this limit, it would likely burn up the rotor slip rings and
                                    windings. As for max current out, alternators are designed with a duty
                                    cycle in mind. As normally they must put out a lot more current when
                                    the vehicle is first started to recharge the battery.

                                    Alien Steve
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 3, 2004
                                      > Like I said before, I don't know enough about alternators and it
                                      > *may* be the voltage regulator alters the magnetic field so as to
                                      > maintain the voltage.

                                      DEFINITELY.

                                      all common car alternators (ac) i have seen use a field coil in the rotor.
                                      the voltage regulator output variable is the current through this coil.

                                      (the voltage regulator does not work like a linear regulator or so in the
                                      power lines,
                                      it is only connected to the alternator output for sensing - there is no
                                      voltage drop or
                                      so across the regulator)

                                      > But unless there is something else going on, the principal of faster
                                      > = more would stand.

                                      principle seems correct, you could draw more watts, but not more ampere.
                                      i too dunno how to use tha additional volts...

                                      However, this is a motorcycle generator, which seems entirely different.

                                      It has permanent magnets, so constant field.
                                      the voltage (or battery charge) is regulated via phase angle control of
                                      the alternator
                                      main output. (this means the current is conntrolled and the battery acts
                                      as buffer).

                                      I see two possibilities to charge the big battery:

                                      version a)

                                      a current regulator directing a certain, fixed amount of current from the
                                      small battery to the big
                                      battery, this current would go through the existing regulator also of
                                      course.

                                      version b)

                                      find the wires from the generator, before the existing regulator, and add
                                      a second regulator, which
                                      charges the big battery at a low maximum rate (2A or so).
                                      you maybe could use another part of the waveform than the existing
                                      regulator and thus decrease the
                                      resisitive losses / increase useable power without more heating of the
                                      alternator.

                                      Version B would be technically better, but much more sophisticated than
                                      version A.
                                      I would try version b, and most likely have a look if i can add safety
                                      things like
                                      overtemperature protection of the alternator.
                                      For a beginner i would recommend version A, a current limiting transistor
                                      is not that hard to
                                      build and it can be debugged without a scope...

                                      Stefan

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 3, 2004
                                        > Well, that -is- what we've been saying. The strength of the magnetic
                                        > field is changed by changing the current in the rotor.
                                        >
                                        > Do you understand that there is no permanent magnet in a standard
                                        > vehicle alternator? And that the power is -not- drawn from the rotor?
                                        > Power is drawn from 3 phases of coils in the stator.
                                        >
                                        > Alien Steve

                                        correct for CAR,

                                        seems in a motorcycle it is permanent magnets and scr phase angle control
                                        of main current.

                                        the buggy in question has a motorcycle engine.

                                        ST
                                      • MAX Alarm
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 3, 2004
                                          O.K. guys..let me put some lights on youre discusion...myne yob is car electric..if we speak about normal alternator produced somewhere about 1990-1998...there is voltage regulator inside alternator...you have windings on stator directly conected on set of diodes and this are for charging baterys..
                                          another windings are on rotor ..rotor wind.is drived via voltage regulator  on most cars regulation is via pulse duration because resistance of rotor are  2-6 ohm..
                                          so rotor are polarised and you have strong mag.field ..if voltage start rising about 14.6 regulator shut off curent to rotor..when vol.drop below 12.9  it switch rotor again..and all this is work in cycles..
                                          if youre car have abs / air cond. this is treshold (14.3) on most european car..
                                          older car without all this work 12.8-13.5...

                                          another important stuff related to charging is CURENT but again voltage regulator adjust polarisation on rotor wind...

                                          sory for my bad english but I hope I help you...

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 3, 2004
                                            On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 15:23:15 +0200, MAX Alarm <stjepan.vukic@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > O.K. guys..let me put some lights on youre discusion...myne yob is car
                                            > electric..if we speak about normal alternator produced somewhere about
                                            > 1990-1998...there is voltage regulator inside alternator...you have
                                            > windings on stator directly conected on set of diodes and this are for
                                            > charging baterys..
                                            > another windings are on rotor ..rotor wind.is drived via voltage
                                            > regulator on most cars regulation is via pulse duration because
                                            > resistance of rotor are 2-6 ohm..
                                            > so rotor are polarised and you have strong mag.field ..if voltage start
                                            > rising about 14.6 regulator shut off curent to rotor..when vol.drop
                                            > below 12.9 it switch rotor again..and all this is work in cycles..
                                            > if youre car have abs / air cond. this is treshold (14.3) on most
                                            > european car..
                                            > older car without all this work 12.8-13.5...
                                            >
                                            > another important stuff related to charging is CURENT but again voltage
                                            > regulator adjust polarisation on rotor wind...
                                            >

                                            > sory for my bad english but I hope I help you...

                                            it's the same as we are saying it all time.
                                            of course you could also control the current in the field wind linear, not
                                            pulse width.

                                            ST
                                          • Dave Mucha
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 3, 2004
                                              wrote:
                                              > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha"
                                              <dave_mucha@y...>
                                              > wrote:

                                              > > Like I said before, I don't know enough about alternators and it
                                              > > *may* be the voltage regulator alters the magnetic field so as to
                                              > > maintain the voltage.
                                              >
                                              > Well, that -is- what we've been saying. The strength of the magnetic
                                              > field is changed by changing the current in the rotor.
                                              >
                                              > Do you understand that there is no permanent magnet in a standard
                                              > vehicle alternator? And that the power is -not- drawn from the
                                              rotor?
                                              > Power is drawn from 3 phases of coils in the stator.
                                              >
                                              > The magnetic field is created in the rotor by a current through a
                                              > winding on it. Rotor spins, generates 3 phases of current/voltage in
                                              > the stator windings. Goes through 3 phase rectifier.

                                              I do realize that the alternator is contorlled by a variable magnetic
                                              field and that the generally accepted limits of such a device is left
                                              to the manufactures data sheets, but.....

                                              We are trying to figure a way to do something off the mainstream.

                                              If we agree that amps will have some simple limit, but voltage can
                                              vary, it may be possible to get a lot more watts from an alternator
                                              than one would ever need for any common applications.

                                              One thing that comes to mind is 'fooling' the VR by loading it to
                                              maintain something less than it's upper limit. That would allow it
                                              to deliver peak power, and I assume more power, at higher revolutions.

                                              Alternatly, if one were to use a higher voltage and get higher watts,
                                              then we could look at what would be needed to deliver that as uasable
                                              current at a usable voltage.

                                              IF, (big IF) we could get the alternator to deliver 36volts at the
                                              rated amps, it would be then require handling that higher load and
                                              delivering it at 12 volts.

                                              Dave
                                            • Steve
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 3, 2004
                                                <stefan_trethan@g...> wrote:

                                                > > Well, that -is- what we've been saying. The strength of the magnetic
                                                > > field is changed by changing the current in the rotor.
                                                > correct for CAR,
                                                >
                                                > seems in a motorcycle it is permanent magnets and scr phase angle
                                                control
                                                > of main current.
                                                >
                                                > the buggy in question has a motorcycle engine.

                                                Ah... I'd missed that.

                                                Alien Steve
                                              • MAX Alarm
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 3, 2004
                                                  again me..(car electric) if I need from same alternator bigest voltage I should take another stator(more windings) another rotor(resistance 8-12 ohm) it means more wind.. and another regulator for higher volt....some years ago I was thinking that similar problem will be solved if yust replace VR but when I put 28 V VR max voltage is about 18-20..so for higher voltage you will need more windings( of course smaler diameter of wires) because you always will have about 300W from this source..it means if you need higher volt you will be less in curent..absolute power from this source ( alternator) depends how big is alternator ...that is from myne praxis ( last 10 years)..

                                                  but for practice ..you can play with VR so use wire for power up VR and measure Voltage on it..you can put some resistors in series with sensitive pin on VR...

                                                  when you pull out Vr from alternator you will see some contact directly on rectifier(diodes plate) this is sensitiv input for VR..so try ...play with voltage divider..and you will see what is max.voltage from youre alternator...TAKE care that screws are GROUND conection for VR so put extra wire for GROUND...

                                                  on one kawasaki motorcycles I measure 32Vdc when VR was dead..(and batery...)

                                                  do make this experiment when car is conected to alternator  because some car electronic realy dont like any power more than 14vdc...

                                                  If you see gray smoke from alt..it means you fuck up something..buy anoter one and play again...

                                                  ..Regards from Croatia