[OT] [Electronics_101] Re: Level shifting

  • Anmol Sondhi
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 1, 2004
      On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Steve wrote:

      > ACDSee! That's it!
      >
      > http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Products/Downloads/index.htm

      Also, you can use irfanview. It is one of the most feature rich converter
      and viewer available and it's free. Get it from http://www.irfanview.com/

      BTW slightly OT, could someone recommend me a good program (preferably
      free) to draw circuits, flowcharts and small graphics using cliparts.

      Thanks,
      Anmol
    • Dave Mucha
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 1, 2004
        There are a few different approaches.

        Full design PCB software:
        Offers schematic design and gerber output for manufacture.
        demo versions are limited in some ways.

        Eagle
        WinQCad

        Proprietary software
        Offers very simple schematic design and limted functin for board
        layout.
        Making boards requires, (REQUIRES!) that you use the board house for
        your first board AND pay $60.oo to have them make a single Gerber
        file.

        ASCII CAD is a really simple software that will draw schematics with
        ASCII characters for ease of printing. This has lost any following
        as most people can now print with some form of dot-matrix such as
        laser printers or inkjets and do not have dasiy wheel printers
        anymore.

        I'm currently using WinQCad and like it. The manufacturer is active
        in updating the product so the $120 (US) cost is acceptable for the
        level of ability.

        Dave
      • dangermouse
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 1, 2004
          You might also have been thinking about Irfanview, also free and quite good.

          -DM

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 1, 2004
            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "dangermouse"
            <dangermouse1956@g...> wrote:
            > You might also have been thinking about Irfanview, also free and
            quite good.

            > -DM

            That's the one! I changed the folder named CAD to CAD and Graphics,
            moved your link for SmartDraw in there, and put a link to IrfanView.

            Alien Steve
          • dangermouse
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 1, 2004
              Good man. You've been busy lately, huh?

              -DM

              > > You might also have been thinking about Irfanview, also free and
              > quite good.
              > >
              > > -DM
              >
              > That's the one! I changed the folder named CAD to CAD and Graphics,
              > moved your link for SmartDraw in there, and put a link to IrfanView.
              >
              > Alien Steve
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 1, 2004
                Really busy. I'm researching everything I need to build a doppler RDF
                including microstrip/patch antennas and small loop antennas, gated
                integrators, and a load of other stuff that I need refreshers on.
                While getting my graphics business shifted over to doing imprinting
                (tshirts, mugs, etc). Plus my wife and one of the schools here wants
                me to come in and do some science classes. And I am attempting to set
                up a video capture/editing computer in my spare time with nearly zero
                money. And learning to program PICs for use in props and test equipment.

                And that's a small fraction of the pies I have my fingers in.

                Look for links on microstriplines, small antennas, and anything else
                related to my project.

                Alien Steve

                <dangermouse1956@g...> wrote:
                > Good man. You've been busy lately, huh?
                >
                > -DM

              • dangermouse
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 1, 2004
                  Sheesh. Is THAT all?

                  ;o)

                  -DM

                  > Really busy. I'm researching everything I need to build a doppler RDF
                  > including microstrip/patch antennas and small loop antennas, gated
                  > integrators, and a load of other stuff that I need refreshers on.
                  > While getting my graphics business shifted over to doing imprinting
                  > (tshirts, mugs, etc). Plus my wife and one of the schools here wants
                  > me to come in and do some science classes. And I am attempting to set
                  > up a video capture/editing computer in my spare time with nearly zero
                  > money. And learning to program PICs for use in props and test equipment.
                  >
                  > And that's a small fraction of the pies I have my fingers in.
                  >
                  > Look for links on microstriplines, small antennas, and anything else
                  > related to my project.
                  >
                  > Alien Steve
                  >
                  > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "dangermouse"
                  > <dangermouse1956@g...> wrote:
                  > > Good man. You've been busy lately, huh?
                  > >
                  > > -DM

                • manifold
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 2, 2004
                    --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "ghidera2000"
                    <ghidera2000@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "upand_at_them"
                    > <upand_at_them@y...> wrote:
                    > > I want to use a Multimedia Card (3.3V, SPI) in a circuit that's
                    > > mostly 5V. Is there a simple IC that does the level shifting?
                    > >
                    > > Mike
                    >
                    > I was just playing with that sort of thing. Couple possibilities:
                    >
                    > Simple way: Run your 5v signal through a resistor and a 3.3 zener
                    > diode to ground. Go from the zener to your 3.3 device. Resistor size
                    > depends on the current requirements of your 3.3 device. If its just
                    > communications then a 10k resistor should be fine.
                    >
                    > The slightly more complicated method was to use a 74hc245/244
                    > powered from the 3.3 volt side. Your 5v inputs to it need to run
                    > through some honkin' resistors (like 1 meg) though. The 244 will
                    > latch up to 5v and push your whole 3.3 circuit to 5v if you dont
                    > massively limit the current on the 5v side.
                    >
                    > Seeing the 74hct4245 link in the previous message though, I'd say
                    > forget the 245 - much safer with the other chip or the diode method.

                    The problem with using resistors on signal lines is speed. The inputs
                    and the traces are largly capacitive so added resistance on digital
                    signal lines slows down the rise and fall times dramatically.
                  • Dave Mucha
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 4, 2004
                      FREE Image software.

                      http://www.irfanview.com/

                      This is a pretty small package that does a LOT of work !

                      It converts to jpg or even png or gif.

                      My three favorite functions are crop, resize to a smaller size, and
                      hitting the enter key to see a huge picture on one screen.

                      BTW, if you can only see a portion of the picture, cropping or
                      reducing the size are worth the effort.

                      Dave

                      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <alienrelics@y...>