Reduced speed for single-phase motor?

  • Dave C
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 12, 2014
      I need to jog a machine (run for a few seconds at reduced speed). It was done on this printing press when the motor was 3-phase. Customer has no multiphase power so I’m changing to a 220 “single phase” 5 HP motor.

      Reverse needs to also be provided so I'm delving into the directional wiring inside the motor frame and bringing those out to separate contactors.

      Can any of the brilliant cast here come up with a creative way of replicating slow motor speed without use of a VFD (a.k.a. inverter)?

      Thanks,
      Dave
    • Dave C
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 14, 2014
        On 14 Jul 2014, at 5:33 PM, 'jpopelish .' jpopelish@... [Electronics_101] <Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I was trying to figure out how you might use a gear motor of low HP
        for the jog and accelerate operation, with an overrunning clutch that
        would slip, while the main motor was turned on, to drive at full
        speed.  But making that reversing is complicated.

        The cost and implementation complexity would probably rule out this option, creative as it is.

        Thanks,