Neat Radio, But Old ICs

  • patrick_mcstorm
    Message 1 of 87 , Jun 13, 2014

      Hello

      I've come across a very interesting integrated circuit receiver project for a 11~ 6 meter radio.

      The problem is that both of the ICs are very old and obsolete: They are the Westinghouse WC-1146T and the Westinghouse WC-183T integrated circuits. Both are "can" types.

      I tried to find substitutes for them.  I found a Motorola part number MC1550GM for the Westinghouse WC-1146T, but that Motorola IC is even harder to find than the Westinghouse version. I found nothing to replace the WC-183T at all.

      I've got an email alert out on eBay for both, but I'm doubtful that this will pan out. Even if I find them, they'll be so old they probably won't work.

      If anyone spots either of these, please let me know.

      Best Regards

      Patrick

      p.s. NOTE: NO TYPO CHECK WAS DONE HERE; please forgive any that are present.

    • 3ef1c723426cc754c6488158b2169553
      Message 87 of 87 , Dec 10, 2015
        I know I am reviving a zombie, but I found the group through searching for info about the WC183T, and this might help.

        This article in an old popular mechanics has a schematic (no component values) of the WC183T

        https://books.google.com/books?id=3CkDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA113&ots=a_AcmqGx1m&dq=transmitter%20receiver%20transistor%20coil%20popular&pg=PA112#v=onepage&q=transmitter%20receiver%20transistor%20coil%20popular&f=false

        Here is an image capture from that article:

        The WC183T was a push-pull audio preamp.

        It had (2X) four NPN CE stages cascaded, Direct coupled except 2-3 which was capacitor coupled.  The output was  open collector.   In the article above, 270 Ohm collector resistors were used, driving a high-impedance headset.

        The two amplifier sections (push and pull) are fully independent with no internal coupling between them.   It appears that that it could be used as two seperate (stereo??) single ended amplifiers.

        There is no chance of replacing it, but it looks like pretty much any 5V single supply audio amplifier would be a workable substitute...two of them or a dual if the balanced output were important.