VHS Audio Hum Problem

  • patrick_mcstorm
    Message 1 of 41 , May 18, 2014

      Hello Everyone

      I'm having a bad time with a "Line" hum in the audio line of an old (mono) VHS recording. Ordinarily I would just throw it in the trash..., but this is a one-of-a-kind home camcorder recording...AND it was recorded in the SLP/EP speed mode by my sister.

      The hum sounds like the hum you sometimes get with a RCA connector that's not pushed all the way in.

      It is reminiscent of the background hum in old tube-type radios too...only louder.

      There are also occasional clicks and pops like you might hear listening to an old 45 RPM vinyl record.

      The hum is loud enough to obscure the background audio of people talking...though I'm pretty sure there's a big difference in the audio frequency of the hum and that of the people talking.

      There are, of course, many types of audio filters one can use/build to lessen/solve this sort of problem..., but I don't know which one(s) to use.

      What I'm thinking of doing is to feed one side of the audio (the mono audio is on both sides of what would usually be a stereo signal) into my DMM (while set on Hz) and monitor the sound with a headphone and try to nail down the median frequency of the hum (while there's no one talking) and then build an audio filter for that frequency..., but I'm concerned with impedance of the DMM in the line screwing up an impedance of the line or some other factor I'm unaware of.

      I realize it may require a second filter for the "45 RPM-like" clicks and pops

      I would think it a good idea to build a stereo filter from the get-go; it may be needed in the future. I don't want to build a mono only filter only to find myself in need of a stereo filter in two or three months time.

      If I can get rid of the noise, I would dub it off to a permanent DVD (I already have a DVD dub of the noisy recording- just to be safer).

      Any advice would be helpful with this quandary.

      Best Regards

      Patrick

      p.s. NOTE: NO TYPO CHECK WAS DONE HERE; please forgive any that are present.

    • patrick_mcstorm
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 4, 2014
        Hello Everyone                      RE: "RF sniffer"

        (Note: My cognition is low today (6-4-14). I'm sorry for any confusing posts, replies or statements I may make.)

        Another omitted fact: The term "RF sniffer" was a cute name the writer called his Field Strength Meter. I meant to say that in my post about the "RF sniffer", but failed to do so.

        I'm REALLY batting 1000 with my omitted facts and typos lately. "Field Strength Meter" is a far better name for the thing...that being what it is.