Re: Project Idea Needed

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, signal snatcher
      <signalsnatcher@y...> wrote:
      > ... There was a day when the people who went into Engineering
      > courses lived and breathed their interest. They had usually
      > been pursuing electronics or whatever all through high school.
      > Now it seems to be a choice made just before the matriculation
      > exam.

      Nah, that's always been the case. I took a year of engineering
      technology at DeVry (just before they got accreditation and started
      calling it Electrical Engineering) and there were a surprising number
      who had to be taken out of class and take a trimester of algebra!

      I worked in a TV shop where the other tech couldn't do simple math,
      even on a calculator. Ask him what value a resistor should be for an
      LED current limit, and he can't calculate it. He'll go find a
      schematic for something that has the same color LED and same Vcc and
      use that resistor value. He survives as a tech because he remembers
      every repair he's ever done, and he saves every dang tip that appears
      on NesdaNet. When he comes across something new, he ends up
      shotgunning. He is tenacious, that helps.

      Come to think of it, many of the repair shops I've worked in had
      someone who couldn't work a calculator and who seemed a tad thin on
      theory. Usually an owner or manager.

      > One thing I've noticed - over the years I've sat on a number of
      > interview panels for job applicants. I have learned that you
      > should not volunteer the information that you have a technical
      > hobby, even if you are applying for a technical job. Management
      > seems to consider anyone with a technical hobby as not being a
      > serious candidate since they have an interest outside work and will
      > lack commitment. Some managers perceive that you have a potential

      Got that right! Many years ago I applied with TRW Copiers for the
      position of field service. I didn't get the job because I scored too
      high on the exam, and they didn't like the TV shows I watched (Star
      Trek, science shows) or that I had electronics as a hobby. They said
      "how do we know you won't get bored and quit? How do we know you'll
      still be around in 5 years?"

      BTW, I got a 97 or 98 out of 100 questions on their exam. I got them
      to tell me which questions I got wrong, it turned out I simply read
      too much into the questions.

      The average score? About 50. This was very little about electricity,
      almost all were about simple mechanical stuff. Two kids on swings, two
      kids on teeter-totters, a string of gears where you have to say which
      direction the last one turns, a ring of 5 gears and a ring of 6 gears
      and you have to say which can turn and which can't or can both, ropes
      and pulleys, etc.

      Alien Steve
    • Albert van Mil
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5, 2004
        Try to construct an earthquake detector. Scientific American long ago
        had an article on this, and that one is reproduced somewhere on the wide
        web.
        It is very doable with a bit of effort...
        Search on "earthquake" and "detector" and "schematics"?

        Albert