GAL chips

  • AL
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2004
      Hello all, I looking for a way to build a programer for Gal chips.
      I like useing them becouse of there number of times they can be
      reburned and im on a tight budget.
      Thanks,
      Al
    • mario lopez
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2004
        I'm also looking for a GAL programmer. I know that many years ago, Elektor published one, but I have no idea. I've also found some projects on Internet, but these are complex. Here you have an example:
        http://elm-chan.org/works/pgal/report_e.html

        PS: sorry for my bad english

        AL <stroker14113@...> wrote:
        Hello all, I looking for a way to build a programer for Gal chips.
        I like useing them becouse of there number of times they can be
        reburned and im on a tight budget.
                                        Thanks,
                                            Al

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            Antivirus • Filtros antispam • 6 MB gratis
            ¿Todavía no tienes un correo inteligente?

      • Dave Mucha
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2004
          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, mario lopez <linked82@y...>
          wrote:
          > I'm also looking for a GAL programmer. I know that many years ago,
          Elektor published one, but I have no idea. I've also found some
          projects on Internet, but these are complex. Here you have an example:
          > http://elm-chan.org/works/pgal/report_e.html
          >
          > PS: sorry for my bad english

          I did a Google and GAL and PROGARAMMER and the chip seems a little
          expensive for what it does.

          I only skimmed the information, but what is the big benifit for the
          GAL chip ?

          Dave
        • mario lopez
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2004
            I know that GALs and PALs are in disadvantage with new programable devices sucha PLDs and FPGAs. On the other hand, the GALs are cheaper than these devices, and are still used to make decodification logic on microcontroller boards. I also think that are a good way to start experimenting with prorgammable devices.

            wrote:
            > I'm also looking for a GAL programmer. I know that many years ago,
            Elektor published one, but I have no idea. I've also found some
            projects on Internet, but these are complex. Here you have an example:
            > http://elm-chan.org/works/pgal/report_e.html

            > PS: sorry for my bad english

            I did a Google and GAL and PROGARAMMER and the chip seems a little
            expensive for what it does.

            I only skimmed the information, but what is the big benifit for the
            GAL chip ?

            Dave

            Yahoo! Groups Links

                Antivirus • Filtros antispam • 6 MB gratis
                ¿Todavía no tienes un correo inteligente?
          • dangermouse
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2004
              I'm doing my very best to avoid saying something very off-topic about GALs and PALs, and which ones are more expensive to "use."  Really I am.  You should be grateful, too.

              ;o)

              -DM

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2004
                --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "dangermouse"
                <dangermouse1956@g...> wrote:
                > I'm doing my very best to avoid saying something very off-topic
                about GALs and PALs, and which ones are more expensive to "use."
                Really I am. You should be grateful, too.

                > ;o)
                >
                > -DM

                Yeah, ya had to go there.....

                I guess the GAL's may be fast and as mentioned can get programmed
                over and over and are cheap.

                Not sure about the PAL's but I bet they are similar.

                On a more serious note, are they faster than chips like the PIC's ?

                Dave

              • AL
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 5, 2004
                  --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha"
                  <dave_mucha@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, mario lopez
                  <linked82@y...>
                  > I only skimmed the information, but what is the big benifit for
                  the
                  > GAL chip ?
                  >
                  > Dave
                  I perfer the GAL chips becouse they have the highest level of reburns
                  ( close to a 1000 times)
                • mario lopez
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 5, 2004

                    """"I perfer the GAL chips becouse they have the highest level of reburns
                    ( close to a 1000 times)""""

                    In comparation with which devices?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 6, 2004
                      wrote:
                      > I'm also looking for a GAL programmer. I know that many years ago,
                      Elektor published one, but I have no idea. I've also found some
                      projects on Internet, but these are complex. Here you have an
                      example:
                      > http://elm-chan.org/works/pgal/report_e.html

                      Thanks for the help,
                      Al