Re: [Electronics_101] Ruggedized components?

  • Leon Robinson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
      Proper case design will make for a rugged product more than rugged parts.

      Leon Robinson    K5JLR

      >________________________________

    • Derek
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
        When you say "ruggedized", are you talking about fully screened parts as
        used in military and space? Or are you talking about general shock
        abuse. If it is the prior, yes, there are parts but cost is high and
        many commercial products cannot afford the pricing.

        If you are talking about the later, then it becomes how the part is
        assembled. Some key points:
        1. Layout of parts on the board to minimize shock stress and
        prevent the parts from coming off. Think about what is shot out of a
        cannon / gun. Here if the parts are not in the proper orientation the
        parts will break away from the solder joint.
        2. Pot the entire assembly, or just the boards. Though it makes
        repair difficult, if not impossible (depending on the potting), it does
        help keep all the parts on the board.

        Derek Koonce
        DDK Interactive Consulting Services

        On 8/20/2013 6:58 PM, normnet2003 wrote:

        > Are their suppliers which offer ruggedized components for use in
        > portable devices? Most of the devices I assemble eventually are
        > dropped and broken due to component failure.
        >
        > Norm

      • Andy
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
          I was also going to suggest adding a potting compound.

          In addition to simply keeping the parts on the board, it can act as a
          shock absorber. If all of your failures are due to mechanical shock,
          I would definitely consider it.

          "Mil spec" includes a whole wide range of things, not all at the same
          time for every part. AFAIK, just being Mil spec doesn't mean that it
          passes the same requirements as any other Mil spec part. It depends
          on the use.

          Andy