Re: [Electronics_101] Ruggedized components?

  • Jan Kok
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20 9:48 PM
      What sort of rugged components are you looking for. I suspect "rugged"
      versions of small parts such as resistors, caps, transistors and ICs (if
      they even exist) won't improve your product's ruggedness by much. The main
      thing you get from mil spec parts is wider operating temperature range.

      On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 7:58 PM, normnet2003 <normnet2@...> wrote:

      > Are their suppliers which offer ruggedized components for use in portable
      > devices? Most of the devices I assemble eventually are dropped and broken
      > due to component failure.
      >
      > Norm

    • Leon Robinson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21 7:11 AM
        Proper case design will make for a rugged product more than rugged parts.

        Leon Robinson    K5JLR

        >________________________________

      • Derek
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21 8:17 AM
          When you say "ruggedized", are you talking about fully screened parts as
          used in military and space? Or are you talking about general shock
          abuse. If it is the prior, yes, there are parts but cost is high and
          many commercial products cannot afford the pricing.

          If you are talking about the later, then it becomes how the part is
          assembled. Some key points:
          1. Layout of parts on the board to minimize shock stress and
          prevent the parts from coming off. Think about what is shot out of a
          cannon / gun. Here if the parts are not in the proper orientation the
          parts will break away from the solder joint.
          2. Pot the entire assembly, or just the boards. Though it makes
          repair difficult, if not impossible (depending on the potting), it does
          help keep all the parts on the board.

          Derek Koonce
          DDK Interactive Consulting Services

          On 8/20/2013 6:58 PM, normnet2003 wrote:

          > Are their suppliers which offer ruggedized components for use in
          > portable devices? Most of the devices I assemble eventually are
          > dropped and broken due to component failure.
          >
          > Norm

        • Andy
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 21 7:37 PM
            I was also going to suggest adding a potting compound.

            In addition to simply keeping the parts on the board, it can act as a
            shock absorber. If all of your failures are due to mechanical shock,
            I would definitely consider it.

            "Mil spec" includes a whole wide range of things, not all at the same
            time for every part. AFAIK, just being Mil spec doesn't mean that it
            passes the same requirements as any other Mil spec part. It depends
            on the use.

            Andy