Ruggedized components?

  • normnet2003
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
      Are their suppliers which offer ruggedized components for use in portable devices? Most of the devices I assemble eventually are dropped and broken due to component failure.

      Norm
    • Howard Hansen
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
        On 8/20/2013 8:58 PM, normnet2003 wrote:

        > Are their suppliers which offer ruggedized components for use in
        > portable devices? Most of the devices I assemble eventually are
        > dropped and broken due to component failure.
        >
        > Norm

        There must be suppliers who sell ruggedized components as you can buy
        ruggedized laptops, Mil Spec Components and components for use in
        space. You will have better success looking for a rugged version of a
        specific part instead of the general category rugged components.

        The other Howard

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
          In my experience it is more about how you use them.
          Special mounting techniques or additional bonding etc.

          Mil spec does not always mean a different case, sometimes it's just more
          stringent testing.

          Of course some parts are more at risk than others and must be avoided.
          Anything heavy with few thin leads will likely fall off.

          ST

          On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Howard Hansen <hrhan@...> wrote:

          > On 8/20/2013 8:58 PM, normnet2003 wrote:
          > >
          > > Are their suppliers which offer ruggedized components for use in
          > > portable devices? Most of the devices I assemble eventually are
          > > dropped and broken due to component failure.
          > >
          > > Norm
          > >

          > There must be suppliers who sell ruggedized components as you can buy
          > ruggedized laptops, Mil Spec Components and components for use in
          > space. You will have better success looking for a rugged version of a
          > specific part instead of the general category rugged components.
          >
          > The other Howard

        • Jan Kok
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
            What sort of rugged components are you looking for. I suspect "rugged"
            versions of small parts such as resistors, caps, transistors and ICs (if
            they even exist) won't improve your product's ruggedness by much. The main
            thing you get from mil spec parts is wider operating temperature range.

            On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 7:58 PM, normnet2003 <normnet2@...> wrote:

            > Are their suppliers which offer ruggedized components for use in portable
            > devices? Most of the devices I assemble eventually are dropped and broken
            > due to component failure.
            >
            > Norm

          • Leon Robinson
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
              Proper case design will make for a rugged product more than rugged parts.

              Leon Robinson    K5JLR

              >________________________________

            • Derek
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
                When you say "ruggedized", are you talking about fully screened parts as
                used in military and space? Or are you talking about general shock
                abuse. If it is the prior, yes, there are parts but cost is high and
                many commercial products cannot afford the pricing.

                If you are talking about the later, then it becomes how the part is
                assembled. Some key points:
                1. Layout of parts on the board to minimize shock stress and
                prevent the parts from coming off. Think about what is shot out of a
                cannon / gun. Here if the parts are not in the proper orientation the
                parts will break away from the solder joint.
                2. Pot the entire assembly, or just the boards. Though it makes
                repair difficult, if not impossible (depending on the potting), it does
                help keep all the parts on the board.

                Derek Koonce
                DDK Interactive Consulting Services

                On 8/20/2013 6:58 PM, normnet2003 wrote:

                > Are their suppliers which offer ruggedized components for use in
                > portable devices? Most of the devices I assemble eventually are
                > dropped and broken due to component failure.
                >
                > Norm

              • Andy
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 21, 2013
                  I was also going to suggest adding a potting compound.

                  In addition to simply keeping the parts on the board, it can act as a
                  shock absorber. If all of your failures are due to mechanical shock,
                  I would definitely consider it.

                  "Mil spec" includes a whole wide range of things, not all at the same
                  time for every part. AFAIK, just being Mil spec doesn't mean that it
                  passes the same requirements as any other Mil spec part. It depends
                  on the use.

                  Andy