getting at atx p/s to turn on

  • Chris Tofu
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 17, 2013
      This question has more then specific applicability (or the answer rather).

      I have a weirdo extern usb hard drive cable. It accomodates most anything, or is purported to, but the desktop h/d portion requires an ancillary p/s, and the sata portion requires that also and another data cable. Problem is p/s doesn't seem to turn on. It's a brand new antec, but it's been sitting in the box for 8 - 9 years. Is the power needed by a h/d insufficient for it to turn over?
    • Mr. Wolf
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17, 2013
        you have to ground the green wire to turn it on.. thats what the case
        button does. unlike at days of dpdt ac mains.

        On 8/17/13, Chris Tofu <rampaginggreenhulk@...> wrote:

        > This question has more then specific applicability (or the answer rather).
        >
        > I have a weirdo extern usb hard drive cable. It accomodates most anything,
        > or is purported to, but the desktop h/d portion requires an ancillary p/s,
        > and the sata portion requires that also and another data cable. Problem is
        > p/s doesn't seem to turn on. It's a brand new antec, but it's been sitting
        > in the box for 8 - 9 years. Is the power needed by a h/d insufficient for it
        > to turn over?

      • Chris Tofu
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 17, 2013
          There's only one green wire, on the mobo harness. 4th from the left, clip up, staring at the connectors receptacles.

          There's another small harness, 2 wires, blue and black, terminating in a 3 connector cable. Is there something there I should ground possibly?

          Thanks but.

          ------------------------------
          On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 10:39 PM PDT Mr. Wolf wrote:

          >you have to ground the green wire to turn it on.. thats what the case
          >button does. unlike at days of dpdt ac mains.
          >
          >On 8/17/13, Chris Tofu <rampaginggreenhulk@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> This question has more then specific applicability (or the answer rather).
          >>
          >> I have a weirdo extern usb hard drive cable. It accomodates most anything,
          >> or is purported to, but the desktop h/d portion requires an ancillary p/s,
          >> and the sata portion requires that also and another data cable. Problem is
          >> p/s doesn't seem to turn on. It's a brand new antec, but it's been sitting
          >> in the box for 8 - 9 years. Is the power needed by a h/d insufficient for it
          >> to turn over?

        • Mr. Wolf
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 18, 2013
            like this with a jumper wire will do it.

            http://deron.meranda.us/create/case-modding/avocet/water-pump/atx-power-bypass.jpg