why would you need 25 amps

  • opie_2_be
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2013
      why would you need 25 amps power supplier to power a radio its 13.8 volts why not a 2.5 amp it is 13.8 volts no matter way you look at it 7.4 volts is 7.4 volts 13.8 volts is 13.8 volts what is missing can you over volt you radio like lets for say 16 volts to a radio that not good right then amps ????? power supplier 2.5 , 10 , 20 , 25 ,,,all amps ?????? opie needs help this is a group
    • AlienRelics
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2013
        I have a transceiver that runs from 12V/13.8V and it requires 20A when transmitting. For that, I'll need something that can put out 25A or better.

        Steve Greenfield AE7HD

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "opie_2_be" <opie_2_be@...> wrote:

        > why would you need 25 amps power supplier to power a radio its 13.8 volts why not a 2.5 amp it is 13.8 volts no matter way you look at it 7.4 volts is 7.4 volts 13.8 volts is 13.8 volts what is missing can you over volt you radio like lets for say 16 volts to a radio that not good right then amps ????? power supplier 2.5 , 10 , 20 , 25 ,,,all amps ?????? opie needs help this is a group

      • Andy
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 17, 2013
          > why would you need 25 amps power supplier to power a radio its 13.8 volts
          > why not a 2.5 amp it is 13.8 volts no matter way you look at it 7.4 volts is
          > 7.4 volts 13.8 volts is 13.8 volts what is missing

          What is missing is that a radio needs both a voltage and a current.
          More precisely, we give it a voltage, and then the radio draws
          whatever current it needs to get the job done.

          Think of a light bulb. It might be a 25 Watt bulb, or 60 Watt, 100
          Watt, 250 Watt, etc. They are all made for 120 Volts, but each of
          them draws a different amount of current. The 250 Watt bulb draws a
          lot more current than the 25 Watt bulb. Same voltage, different
          current, different power.

          > can you over volt you radio like lets for say 16 volts to a radio that not good
          > right then amps ?????

          There's a difference. Too much voltage can fry the radio. Too much
          current is bad too ... but the radio draws however much current it
          needs (for normal operation), and not more.

          If you have a 25 Amp power supply, what that means is that the power
          supply is CAPABLE of supplying UP TO 25 Amps (before the power supply
          itself turns to toast).

          If the radio is turned off, the actual current at that moment will be
          zero. Switch it on, and it might be 0.2 Amps or so. Start
          transmitting, and it might go up to 5 Amps, or 15 Amps, or more! How
          high the amps goes depends on the power that the radio needs to work
          normally. The more power the radio transmits ... the more power that
          needs to be fed to the radio ... the more current (amps) that needs to
          go to the radio from the power supply.

          You need to get a power supply that can handle at least (i.e., more
          than) the maximum current that the radio needs to work right.

          Hope this helps.

          Andy