Re: [Electronics_101] Re: Sometimes you just gotta laugh

  • Jong Kung
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 21, 2013
      That's not true.

      My friend is fluent in Korean and English. He speaks and write in English (has a Journalism degree from Cornell U) and also writes articles for Korean news papers. He is certified by US Government to be master linguist (or something like that) and works for the US Justice Dept.

      The trick is that he was born in Korea but after 5th grade he grew up in USA (NYC) but always kept up with his Korean (speaking with family, reading Korean Newspaper, writing in Korean, etc). His English is fluent because he has all English speaking friends and grew up / studied here (USA).

      The other trick is the Korean and English is dramatically different - so it is very difficult to for speaker of one to learn the other as adult, but if learned as a child there seems to be zero sharing of the Korean speaking and English speaking parts of the brain. So you often hear Spanish, French, German (etc.) speakers speaking English with some sort of accent (and vice versa) but he speaks both languages with zero foreign accent in each.

      I must admit he is a rare bird in that he can speak and write at college level in both languages. But there are people who are like that.

      I'm just gifted in speaking out left and right side of my mouth.

      Jong

      On Jun 20, 2013, at 9:31 PM, "Andrew Mathison \(Alice\)" <mathison@...> wrote:

      > The rule is that anyone can only translate "PROPERLY" in one
      > direction, that is INTO your own first language. Nobody can translate both
      > ways, they just "think" they can...
      >
      > NEVER, EVER FROM your first language to another
    • Randy
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
        See www.engrish.com for other comical translation errors.
        The charger for my Baofeng handheld xcvr cautions:
        "Note: Prevent cooks meals or is injured.
        Only batteries assigns carrying on the charge"

        Randy

        On 6/21/2013 3:31 AM, Andrew Mathison (Alice) wrote:

        > These sorts of failures lie with the company concerned due to a rule they
        > are breaking. The rule is that anyone can only translate "PROPERLY" in one
        > direction, that is INTO your own first language. Nobody can translate both
        > ways, they just "think" they can...
        >
        > NEVER, EVER FROM your first language to another...
        >
        > Even language professors screw up. I read a few Guenther Grass novels in
        > English(never again, I always read German Authors in German nowadays and
        > English in English, but that was before I could speak/read German that
        > well!!).
        >
        > The translator is a Professor if I remember correctly and all the
        > books are
        > filled with the "wrong" words. You look it up "Backwards" into German
        > again
        > and you can see what was meant and see that the Professor picked the wrong
        > one of several possibilities.
        >
        > Other than that his Grammar was good in English, the best I have
        > seen...better even than mine maybe.
        >
        > I called such manuals "Japanese English"...not that it helped much..Some
        > companies still make mistakes in that area...they never learn. Chinese
        > companies make the same errors.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Andy
        > > You just have to love the Chinese:
        > >
        > > "Potentiometer assembly by a few old people familiar with the
        > > production, product feel smooth."
        > >
        > > <http://eckvr201006.en.b2b168.com/shop/supply/9749334.html>
        > >

        > > What a flattering way to say that the product is assembled by highly
        > > trained staff with many years of experience in the business. ;-)
        > >

        > > ST

        Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan

      • AlienRelics
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
          I had a bunch of "laser" tag type playsets with head mounted sensor that said "Not to be pointing head". Maybe it meant that it is rude to stare?

          Steve Greenfield AE7HD

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Randy <randy@...> wrote:

          > See www.engrish.com for other comical translation errors.
          > The charger for my Baofeng handheld xcvr cautions:
          > "Note: Prevent cooks meals or is injured.
          > Only batteries assigns carrying on the charge"
          >
          > Randy

        • AlienRelics
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
            I had a bunch of "laser" tag type playsets with head mounted sensor that said "Not to be pointing head". Maybe it meant that it is rude to stare?

            Steve Greenfield AE7HD

            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Randy <randy@...> wrote:

            > See www.engrish.com for other comical translation errors.
            > The charger for my Baofeng handheld xcvr cautions:
            > "Note: Prevent cooks meals or is injured.
            > Only batteries assigns carrying on the charge"
            >
            > Randy

          • Dave C
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 25, 2013
              Maybe translates to "Don't be a dunce"?

              Dave

              Sent from my phone.
              Please forgive auto-fill errors and typos.

              On 25 Jun 2013, at 05:08 AM, "AlienRelics" wrote:

              "Not to be pointing head".