Re: The Decision- Solid or Stranded Wire?

  • px_charles
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 16, 2013
      I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm sure my project in being done the right way.

      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 26, 2013
        Clamps approved for stranded wire generally enclose the wire on all
        sides, so that no strands may escape.
        They also don't press into the end of the wire with the end of a
        screw, which easily cuts strands.
        The goal is to avoid carrying the current with just a few strands, and
        making a strong mechanical connection.
        Remember that this isn't about what you or I can do with a single
        connection but about what is approved by the manufacturer and will
        work reliably each and every time.

        As for solder tinned ends, EVERY SINGLE connection I have found solder
        tinned and clamped, that was left for some years was loose, many to
        the point of causing failure or local overheating of the terminal.

        There is a simple experiment you can do to prove this point:

        Take a length of solder wire, wind it around your finger into a spiral
        or coil. Hang it up by one end.
        If you want, take a length of similar diameter copper wire and do the same.
        After a short while (depending on wire diameter minutes to hours) you
        will find the solder coil has straightened out, just from the pull of
        gravity. Solder cold flows much more and under much lower pressure
        than copper.

        ST