Re: [Electronics_101] File 'First Microprocesser' uploaded to this groups files section

  • Dave C
    Message 1 of 23 , May 23 3:44 AM
      That makes me exhausted just looking at ALL those gears. All that energy & resources spent to do what now is done with a few encoders, a PC, and a couple of motors.

      Sent from my iPod

      On 22 May 2013, at 10:28 PM, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

      I very much liked the films about the mechanical targeting computers:

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 23 , May 23 7:43 AM
        Howard,

        > > I have an 8" floppy disk.
        >

        > But do have a 1 8" floppy drive?

        Good point, I have lots or 3.5" flippiees, but I do have a USB flippy drive.

        Jim

      • Jim
        Message 3 of 23 , May 23 7:46 AM
          Andy,

          > You are probably looking back now, because there are ~no floppy drives
          > anymore. :-(

          Not so, I have a USB external fllppy drive. I got it because I have so
          many flippies, some are commercial software.
          Every so often I used to reformat an old PC and install Dos 6.22, Just
          for fun, I would also install Win 3.

          Jim

        • AlienRelics
          Message 4 of 23 , May 23 5:11 PM
            One of my coworkers just traded a 16Gig USB thumb drive to another coworker for his old 1Gig, because his wife's sewing machine is old enough that it won't work with anything larger than 1Gig.

            I have a USB 3.5 inch floppy drive just in case. I bought, refurb'd, and sold a MIDI keyboard that had a 3.5 inch floppy drive that took Amiga formatted floppies. And fixed a few of them quite a while ago.

            Fortunately I happened to have a few Amigas and boxes of DD floppies. I seem to recall that the keyboard could not format floppies, nor could it use HD floppies, even formatted as DD. Probably because HD 3.5 inch floppies use a ferrite coating that takes a higher field strength to magnetize/demagnetize.

            Steve Greenfield AE7HD

            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

            > Floppy disks are still widely used in machine control, CNC, embroidery
            > machines, test equipment, etc..
            > You don't throw that stuff out just because of the latest fad in computing.
            >
            > I wouldn't be surprised if there were still some looms running on the
            > original jacquard punchcard system.
            >
            > You know they are always high and mighty about how fast their latest
            > processor is or how advanced the latest software.
            > If we are honest very little has changed in terms of functionality,
            > and what has changed requires a huge amount of brute force processing
            > power. People used to do very much with very little, now they seem to
            > do very little with very much. It helps that stuff is cheap now and
            > computer power is expanding faster than you can get your head around.
            >
            > I very much liked the films about the mechanical targeting computers:
            > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8aH-M3PzM0>
            >

            > ST

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 23 , May 23 8:20 PM
              Steve,

              > One of my coworkers just traded a 16Gig USB thumb drive to another
              > coworker for his old 1Gig, because his wife's sewing machine is old
              > enough that it won't work with anything larger than 1Gig.

              SEWING MACHINE? WHAT HAS A THUMB DRIVE GOT TO DO WITH A SWEING MACHINE,
              OR VICE VERSA?

              Jim

              Message 6 of 23 , May 23 9:48 PM
                Probably stitches on patterns, like embroidery.
                CNC for girls.....

                ST

                On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 5:20 AM, Jim <jollyred@...> wrote:

                > SEWING MACHINE? WHAT HAS A THUMB DRIVE GOT TO DO WITH A SWEING MACHINE,
                > OR VICE VERSA?
                >
                > Jim

              • jongkung01
                Message 7 of 23 , May 23 10:07 PM
                  Ha ha ha... That's called sewing machine.

                  In all seriousness modern day sewing machine have the kinds function thats only possible with computer control.

                  Jong

                  On May 23, 2013, at 6:48 PM, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

                  > CNC for girls
                • AlienRelics
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 24 5:47 AM
                    The first punchcards were for looms, after all.

                    Yes, it is a sewing machine that will do simple embroidery. She has a program to make up that embroidery. Alphanumerics, clipart, etc. And fancy stitches, I believe. Hence the memory stick to transfer files.

                    A friend of mine has a similar sewing machine, JoAnn's Fabric sells them, among others. It cost her almost as much to buy the full version of the software to create new images, as it did to buy the sewing machine itself.

                    Steve Greenfield AE7HD

                    --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, jongkung01@... wrote:

                    > Ha ha ha... That's called sewing machine.
                    >
                    > In all seriousness modern day sewing machine have the kinds function thats only possible with computer control.
                    >

                    > Jong
                    >

                    > On May 23, 2013, at 6:48 PM, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > CNC for girls

                  • Kerry Wentworth
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 24 5:51 AM
                      We spent a week on the subject in Fire Control School back in 1973.
                      Wow, that was 40 years ago! They were phasing out analog computers, at
                      least for missile systems, but we had to learn it anyway. Gun systems
                      used them for a while after that. A lot of the analog computing was
                      done by op-amps by that time, but we learned mechanical systems, too.
                      Probably saw those training films even then.

                      Kerry

                      Stefan Trethan wrote:
                      > I very much liked the films about the mechanical targeting computers:
                      > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8aH-M3PzM0>
                      >

                      > ST

                    • heartmac
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 24 9:12 AM
                        Relay logic is what I remember in high school.

                        Stefan Trethan wrote:

                        > I very much liked the films about the mechanical targeting computers:

                        > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8aH-M3PzM0>

                        > ST

                      • smilingcat90254
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 24 9:37 AM
                          My partner has several machines. Her embroidery machine has USB connection to a computer and will talk to a computer as well as directly read from a USB stick. Her embroidery machine has 12 needles. one color thread for each needle. Patterns to be stitched is stored in a computer file and it drives a x-y platform with stepper motors. Machine is smart enough that it will stop on threads breaking; needle breaking; fabric jamming... you need a computer to do this.

                          regular machines now use computer control so that the regular machine can do not just a simple stitch but does about 20-30 different kind of stitches. Your grandma's machine only did two may be three.

                          Quilting machines can be quite large. around 6-10 feet wide (stepper controlled)

                          Then again my partner's machine is industrial. So the software alone cost over $4,000 I think it was.

                          smilingcat

                          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, jongkung01@... wrote:

                          > Ha ha ha... That's called sewing machine.
                          >
                          > In all seriousness modern day sewing machine have the kinds function thats only possible with computer control.
                          >

                          > Jong
                          >

                          > On May 23, 2013, at 6:48 PM, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > CNC for girls

                        • Donald
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 25 5:13 PM
                            Sewing is just like welding - only the materials and technique differ.

                            Donald.
                            --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

                            > Probably stitches on patterns, like embroidery.
                            > CNC for girls.....
                            >
                            > ST
                            >
                            > On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 5:20 AM, Jim <jollyred@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > SEWING MACHINE? WHAT HAS A THUMB DRIVE GOT TO DO WITH A SWEING MACHINE,
                            > > OR VICE VERSA?
                            > >
                            > > Jim

                          • Jong Kung
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 25 11:58 PM
                              Maybe alike in some ways but you can't set your garage on fire with sewing kit, you can't make your concrete floor explode while sewing, and you don't get a uv burn from a sewing machine !!! You also don't get zinc poisoning from sewing on wrong material.

                              That's for the macho man, the WELDOR !!!

                              =====

                              Having said those thing, the image of a girl welding from flash dance (the movie) sure makes wish more girls are taught welding in HS.