Can't find replacement backup battery

  • Dave C
    Message 1 of 14 , May 17, 2013
      Original is a stack of 3 Varta V15H NiMH 15 mAh button cells stacked (soldered?) together and shrink wrapped. Standard 2 pin terminals for through-hole soldering. The V15H is 1.2v so I presume 3.6v when it was working. The stack measures 10 mm long (terminal to terminal) and 11 mm in diameter.

      When searching I keep getting directed to lithium and NiMH cells but I can't seem to find a replacement battery for this.

      The physical dimensions are not strict (there's "fudge room" on the board) so I'm open to something that is a good electrical replacement but need not be so physically.

      The battery backs up real-time clock and other data in a memory IC in a data acquisition system.

      Where can I get a replacement battery?

      Thanks,
      Message 2 of 14 , May 17, 2013
        Just a caution, soldering button cells is a _really really_ bad idea.
        They have no pressure relief valve and the soldering heat will make
        them explode including shrapnel to your face, chemicals, and all the
        other fun stuff.
        There are videos on the web.

        Soldering regular cylindrical cells is not dangerous to you, but will
        usually damage the cell seal and severely limit life.

        In short cells should only be spot welded or used in appropriate holders.

        Those Ni backup batteries are fairly common, you should be able to
        find them at a mail order supplier.

        ST

        On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:
        > Original is a stack of 3 Varta V15H NiMH 15 mAh button cells stacked (soldered?) together and shrink wrapped. Standard 2 pin terminals for through-hole soldering. The V15H is 1.2v so I presume 3.6v when it was working. The stack measures 10 mm long (terminal to terminal) and 11 mm in diameter.
        >
        > When searching I keep getting directed to lithium and NiMH cells but I can't seem to find a replacement battery for this.
        >
        > The physical dimensions are not strict (there's "fudge room" on the board) so I'm open to something that is a good electrical replacement but need not be so physically.
        >
        > The battery backs up real-time clock and other data in a memory IC in a data acquisition system.
        >
        > Where can I get a replacement battery?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dave

      • lists
        Message 3 of 14 , May 17, 2013
          In article <8CD02C03-909B-4C2E-912D-8EB278828942@...>,
          Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:
          > Original is a stack of 3 Varta V15H NiMH 15 mAh button cells stacked
          > (soldered?) together and shrink wrapped. Standard 2 pin terminals for
          > through-hole soldering. The V15H is 1.2v so I presume 3.6v when it was
          > working. The stack measures 10 mm long (terminal to terminal) and 11 mm
          > in diameter.

          http://cpc.farnell.com/

          Part number BT00148

          --
          Stuart Winsor

          Midlands RISC OS and Raspberry pi show, 13th July 2013

          http://www.mug.riscos.org/show13/MUGshow.html
        • Dave C
          Message 4 of 14 , May 17, 2013
            Yeah, that's the exact item. Now to find one in the States...

            Thanks!

            Dave

            Sent from my iPod

            On 17 May 2013, at 01:05 AM, lists <Stuartlists@...> wrote:

            Part number BT00148

          • Dave C
            Message 5 of 14 , May 17, 2013
              The cells, yes. The battery, discontinued. Not Mouser nor Digikey.

              No intention to solder.

              Thanks,
              Dave

              Sent from my iPod

              Message 6 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                In article
                <1368802106.32115.yext-apple-iphone@...>,
                Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:
                > Yeah, that's the exact item. Now to find one in the States...

                Farnell - CPC are associated with Newark in the states; part of the same
                outfit, element 14, I think.

                MCM electronics is also part of the Premier farnell group.

                Message 7 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                  Newark comes up empty for Part number BT00148.

                  I wouldn't have thought this so hard to source...

                  Thanks,
                  Dave

                  On May 17, 2013, at 8:55 AM, lists wrote:

                  > In article
                  > <1368802106.32115.yext-apple-iphone@...>,
                  > Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:
                  >> Yeah, that's the exact item. Now to find one in the States...
                  >
                  > Farnell - CPC are associated with Newark in the states; part of the same
                  > outfit, element 14, I think.
                  >
                  > MCM electronics is also part of the Premier farnell group.
                • Howard Hansen
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                    Hello Dave,

                    The VARTA-3/V15H appears to be very popular in the UK. But non-existent
                    in the US. A Google search turns up several sources in UK but none in
                    US. As a last resort you could go with ebay.
                    <http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=VARTA-3%2FV15H&_sacat=0&_from=R40>

                    The other Howard

                    On 5/17/2013 9:48 AM, Dave C wrote:

                    > Yeah, that's the exact item. Now to find one in the States...
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > Dave
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPod
                    >
                    > On 17 May 2013, at 01:05 AM, lists <Stuartlists@...
                    > <mailto:Stuartlists%40orpheusinternet.co.uk>> wrote:
                    >
                    > Part number BT00148

                  • Raymundo Vega
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                      check this part number: 55T8204

                      raymundo

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                        Hello Dave,

                        Update. Try this source.
                        <http://www.newark.com/varta/55602303015/battery-pack-nimh-15mah-3-6v/dp/55T8204>

                        The other Howard

                        On 5/17/2013 2:39 PM, Howard Hansen wrot
                        :

                        > Hello Dave,
                        >
                        > The VARTA-3/V15H appears to be very popular in the UK. But non-existent
                        > in the US. A Google search turns up several sources in UK but none in
                        > US. As a last resort you could go with ebay.
                        > <http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=VARTA-3%2FV15H&_sacat=0&_from=R40>
                        >
                        > The other Howard
                        >
                        > On 5/17/2013 9:48 AM, Dave C wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Yeah, that's the exact item. Now to find one in the States...
                        > >
                        > > Thanks!
                        > >
                        > > Dave
                        > >
                        > > Sent from my iPod
                        > >
                        > > On 17 May 2013, at 01:05 AM, lists
                        > <Stuartlists@...
                        > <mailto:Stuartlists%40orpheusinternet.co.uk>
                        > > <mailto:Stuartlists%40orpheusinternet.co.uk>> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Part number BT00148

                      • lists
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                          In article <450655A9-053E-44F8-BF13-7CC210563AA0@...>,
                          Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:
                          > Newark comes up empty for Part number BT00148

                          Probably because BT00148 is CPC's own catalogue number, you need to search
                          on the manufacturers part number which seems to be 3/V15H

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 17, 2013
                            Ah -- "UK Stock". Additional US$20 freight charge. I guess I'll order a few from Newark and be happy.

                            This equipment was designed in UK, so it's no surprise...

                            Thanks,m
                            Dave

                            -=-=-=-

                            On May 17, 2013, at 12:54 PM, Howard Hansen wrote:

                            > Update. Try this source.
                            > <http://www.newark.com/varta/55602303015/battery-pack-nimh-15mah-3-6v/dp/55T8204>
                            >
                            > The other Howard

                          • lists
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                              In article <A3A08F23-3BE6-4DCB-9154-6E0B1CE82E19@...>,
                              Dave C <davec2468@...> wrote:
                              > Ah -- "UK Stock". Additional US$20 freight charge.

                              Ouch!

                              wonder what shipping from the UK would really be?

                              Let's see - weight 3.3g - couple in a "jiffy" bag - say 20g.

                              If it can go as a letter [1] that's £1.28 ($2), as a small packet £3.50
                              (about $5)

                              > I guess I'll order a few from Newark and be happy.

                              I hope so. Actually I've had a similar thing, buying ICs from Farnell in
                              the UK that had to come from Newark in the states - cost was an extra £15
                              per order

                              [1] UK has size criteria for letters as well as weight. I was fuming when
                              it cost me £3 to send a film for developing a few weeks back because it
                              exceeded the thickness measurement and had to go as "Small packet"
                              instead of a "Large letter". Once upon a time it would have just gone by
                              weight, as a "letter", and cost £0.60 at today's prices.

                              --
                              Stuart Winsor

                              Midlands RISC OS and Raspberry pi show, 13th July 2013

                              http://www.mug.riscos.org/show13/MUGshow.html
                            • Scrolling8
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 18, 2013
                                Battery's are Us will custom make any battery pack you want. At least the stores in the Twin Citys will do this.