Re: [Electronics_101] Need simple solution to adapt 10 volt wall wart Power S...

  • janrwl
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2013
      In a message dated 5/12/2013 5:25:42 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      yanvrno@... writes:

      I need a 0-10 volt supply for a 1/2HP VFD motor drive. I'd like some
      advice on converting/adapting a Wall Wart Power supply to accomplish this task.
      Using a rotary or slide handle to adjust output voltage. What are the
      limitations and issues to be aware of, and is this a long term viable solution
      to control motor speed? Not like it will be used everyday. Just a cheap way
      to control a wood lathe spindle drive.<<
      A 1/2 HP motor-drive would require at least 500 W input. At 10 VDC, this
      means at least 50 amps. There is not a wall-wart on THIS planet that can
      put out NEARLY that much power or amperes! You need to shop for a
      DC-rectifer, aka DC power-supply than can put out 10 VDC at 50 Amp.

      Google LaMarche. They make inductively-regulated 'rectifiers' for
      pipe-organs that put out 10-15 VDC, some designs on up to 100 Amps, maybe higher
      on special-order. JRR