Re: [Electronics_101] Re: Enclosures? (slightly off topic)

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 19 , May 4, 2013
      Ron,

      A diiscrete battery hold is not necessary. All that is needed are
      contacts for the two poles of the battery. The advantage of having
      holders is that they may make replacing batteries easier.
      BTW, technally, the 1.5V 'batteries' are not actually batteries, they
      are cells. (volters ARE batteries, inside they have cells connected in
      series to obtain the 9V. Multiply 1.5 x 6 and you get 9 volts. The cells
      in a car battery are two volts each, so a car battery has six lead-acid
      cells. Back when car batteries had openings to add water you could cont
      the cekks because they had one for each cell.

      Jim

      > Not sure if this has been answered for most post are about battery
      > holders, not enclosures with battery holders. But I have not read all.
      >
      > I've seen enclosures with battery holders built in, that is right in
      > the case with rear removable door.
      >
      > Here is long time company that make enclosures:

    • Don
      Message 2 of 19 , May 11, 2013
        Ron, when you sayd "Here is one ..." I think you omitted the link. I am not sure which one you were referring to.

        -- Don

        --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Wright, N9EE" <mccrpt@...> wrote:

        > Not sure if this has been answered for most post are about battery holders, not enclosures with battery holders. But I have not read all.
        >
        > I've seen enclosures with battery holders built in, that is right in the case with rear removable door.
        >
        > Here is long time company that make enclosures:
        >
        > http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm
        >
        > Here is one of their handheld enclosures with 4 AA battery holder built in.
        >
        > I thought this was similar to what you were looking for.
        >
        > 73, ron, n9ee/r
        >
        > ps enclosures for housing electronics is not off topic for this board IMHO. Good electronic designs require good enclosures if for nothing else protection.
        >

        > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <DCFrench@> wrote:
        > >
        > > If this is too far off topic, I apologize and will not post any follow-ups. But I am now looking for a source of off-the-shelf hand-held enclosures that are designed to hold 4 AA batteries. I am not having much luck using Google for this purpose. So far, I have only found the following:
        > >
        > > This one from PacTec (http://www.pactecenclosures.com/product-detail.php?productid=97&seriesid=55&classid=27) but it isn't available as a free sample and the minimum order is 250 pieces. How am I supposed to evaluate it if I have to buy 250 of them?
        > >
        > > Serpac has a few (http://www.serpac.co.uk/enclosures/h-series.html) and they are available through Digikey but they are a lot more expensive.
        > >
        > > Maybe someone on this list might have some leads?

      • Don
        Message 3 of 19 , May 11, 2013
          Stefan,

          Are you saying that I have had reservations about paying for quality? I am not sure where you got that if that is what you are saying.

          -- Don

          --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Stefan Trethan <stefan_trethan@...> wrote:

          > There are many for PCB installation.
          > This is a good one, but no doubt Don will have reservations about
          > paying for quality again:
          >
          > <http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/1028/1028K-ND/303553>
          >
          > ST
          >
          > On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM, <wanliker@...> wrote:
          > > That particular battery holder typically is bolted/clamped inside of an
          > > inclosure., but there is really no provision for soldering it into place, it
          > > is bolted in, and the two power leads can be soldered. However the outside
          > > case will need to be removed for access to change the batteries in that
          > > holder.
          > > bill, Alb.
          > >
          > > I am starting to think that I will go with a battery holder like this one
          > > _http://www.digikey.http://www.dhttp://wwwhttp://www.http://ww_
          > > (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/2477/2477K-ND/303822) soldered to my board
          > > and let the user open the case to get at the batteries.

        • Donald H Locker
          Message 4 of 19 , May 11, 2013
            Would one of these products suit? <http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?pv5=5644&pv5=5416&pv5=5666&FV=fff40021%2Cfff803a6%2Cfffc0386&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&chp=0&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25>

            Rose Bopla <http://www.digikey.com/Suppliers/us/Rose-Bopla-Enclosures.page?lang=en> is the supplier.

            Donald.

            --
            *Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
            () no proprietary attachments; no html mail

            > If this is too far off topic, I apologize and will not post any
            > follow-ups. But I am now looking for a source of off-the-shelf
            > hand-held enclosures that are designed to hold 4 AA batteries. I am
            > not having much luck using Google for this purpose. So far, I have
            > only found the following:
            >
            > This one from PacTec
            > (http://www.pactecenclosures.com/product-detail.php?productid=97&seriesid=55&classid=27)
            > but it isn't available as a free sample and the minimum order is 250
            > pieces. How am I supposed to evaluate it if I have to buy 250 of them?
            >
            > Serpac has a few (http://www.serpac.co.uk/enclosures/h-series.html)
            > and they are available through Digikey but they are a lot more
            > expensive.
            >
            > Maybe someone on this list might have some leads?

          • Ron Wright, N9EE
            Message 5 of 19 , May 12, 2013
              Yes, I forgot the link directly to the Hammond boxes with battery holders built in. Here it is:

              http://www.hammondmfg.com/1553T.htm

              1553 is a military 1 Mbit/sec serial buss from 1980s used to move data between the "black boxes" mostly in aircraft. But the boxes are relevant for this discussion here.

              73, ron, n9ee/r

              Message 6 of 19 , May 14, 2013
                Thanks. Yes, that would work but it are quite expensive compared to Pactec and Serpac.

                Message 7 of 19 , May 14, 2013
                  These are backordered with an expected ship date of July. And they are also quite expensive.

                  As to Stefan's comment that I don't not pay for quality, I figured out that he must have been referring to my reluctance to pay 10 times as much for an enclosure he suggested than I would have to pay for the same thing from Pactec. To that point, there is really no quality difference that I can tell between one molded plastic enclosure and another and it doesn't make sense for me to pay a $30 per box premium that I would just have to pass on to my customers. It isn't fair to them and it puts me at a competitive disadvantage. I will pay for quality when I can see a quality difference and when I actually need whatever quality improvement there might be. But I prefer to give my customers the best deal possible. That said, I still appreciate his suggestions and help.