Re: Driving Hydraulic/Pneumatic solenoid valves

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 21, 2013
      " Much easier and more worry-free to just put a diode across the solenoid
      coil!"
      Problem is, it is not always easy or possible to put a diode across the coil of a solenoid. It can be located on 3rd party equipment. So then have to think about protection at driver.

      --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, Jan Kok <jan.kok.5y@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > the inductance increases hugely as the core is moved into the solenoid. It
      > has to do with the reluctance (which you can think of as "magnetic
      > resistance") seen by the magnetic field. I don't remember the actual ratio
      > of inductance for core in / core out, but I think a factor of 10 is not
      > unreasonable. So maybe these valves have 1H of inductance when activated.
      >
      > (1/2) * 1H * (1A^2) = 1/2 Joule. Oops, that's already over the Single Pulse
      > Avalanche Energy spec for the IRL540N which is 310mJ.
      >
      > What about the mechanical energy? Well, the distance traveled is probably
      > less than 1 cm, and the force... I don't know, but let's say 1 pound ~= 5
      > Newtons. So the mechanical energy is only 50 mJ, not so bad.
      >
      > So, depending on the inductance of Chuck's solenoids in the active state,
      > the IRL540N may or may not survive the turn-off events, if there is no
      > protection diode.
      >
      > Much easier and more worry-free to just put a diode across the solenoid
      > coil!
      >

      > On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM, Kerim F <ahumanbeing2000@...> wrote:
      >

      > > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "rtstofer" <rstofer@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > --- In Electronics_101@yahoogroups.com, "Kerim F" <ahumanbeing2000@>

      > > (inductive/magnetic) current if one MOSFET is used as a switch. The only
      > > way by which it can be discharged in this case is in the MOSFET avalanche
      > > region. This may or may not destroy the MOSFET. It depends on the amount of
      > > energy discharged and its rate to happen.
      > > application. The easiest way is to use an external diode in reverse and
      > > parallel to the coils (lowest drain-source voltage, about Vcc + Vdiode, and
      > > slowest turn off, L/R time constant is largest).

      > > > Here is another factory document that states that the body diode (a
      > > zener in this case) can handle the freewheeling. In fact the body diode is
      > > rated at 36A and Vf of 1.3V. The MOSFET is unlikely to be damaged by just
      > > 1.3V of reverse voltage.
      > > >
      > > > The IRL540N itself is rated at 100V 36A - kind of overkill for a 2A
      > > solenoid.
      > > >
      > > > See Section 1 here:
      > > > http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-936.pdf
      > > >
      > > > Datasheet:
      > > > http://www.redrok.com/MOSFET_IRL540N_100V_36A_44mO_Vth2.0_TO-220.pdf
      > > >
      > > > See "Source-Drain Ratings And Characteristics"
      > > >
      > > > Richard
      > > >

      > > You are right Richard. Naturally, if the "Single Pulse Avalanche Energy"
      > > of the MOSFET is much larger than of the coil (1/2)*L*(I^2) there is no
      > > need for an external diode. In this case, it is even better if an external
      > > diode is not added because the turn off time would be shortest which may be
      > > desirable in some applications. On the other hand, this discharge will
      > > raise the junction temperature, therefore, there is a maximum rate that it
      > > could be repeated (this is a topic by itself). But in the application we
      > > discuss here, the rate is likely much slower.

    • Michael
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 26, 2013
        Drivers, yes ok, or protected drivers. But is that not the device of choice for driving high power solenoids? Or do people use "bare" FETs or Transistors? Wasnt that the original poster's question.
        Mike